Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 07:54 PM

1,624 posts, read 3,291,484 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
^ No real Chicagoan would say this ^

Of course, there is an Anciet Order of Chicagoans that makes sure all Chicagoans are the same, have the same interests and patterns of behaviour. It's so great to live in such a vibrant, diverse city
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2009, 08:01 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,351,543 times
I once received a ticket for parking on the southside in a very BAD neighborhood that you would never ever park in... At that time I happened to be working that very day at that very time, where I drove my car there... in a western suburb. I had to request a copy of the ticket, took 2 years!!! YES YEARS! to get a copy of it. I had to send it downstate if I remeber correctly, with that car's registration. In the meantime I had to fend off collectors.
And yes, the person who wrote the ticket, wrote it down wrong.
And worse - it happened AGAIN TO ME - a year later... I told them I suspected a scam of somekind by the collection agencies.

Old 05-06-2009, 08:37 PM

2,314 posts, read 4,798,905 times
I hate driving in Chicago. All the streets are so narrow and there are always traffic jams during the day.
Plus all you can do is parallel park in a neighborhood street and usually you need a permit for it. Screw that.

I just take the El or the Metra and it gets me everywhere I need. Or just walk if it's nice outside.

Old 05-06-2009, 08:39 PM

1,817 posts, read 4,926,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafster View Post
I just take the El or the Metra and it gets me everywhere I need. Or just walk if it's nice outside.
Unfortunately we arent all that lucky.

Old 05-06-2009, 08:47 PM

1,953 posts, read 4,960,836 times
Quote:

I think most people take the L to work and for daily stuff (I know I do) but you still get the BS. I think most people try to compare Chicago with the neighboring cities when it comes to parking, but you really cant. Im sure its much worse in NYC

Old 05-06-2009, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by long101 View Post
I think most people take the L to work and for daily stuff (I know I do) but you still get the BS. I think most people try to compare Chicago with the neighboring cities when it comes to parking, but you really cant. Im sure its much worse in NYC
It is but there is an alternative. Remember, approx. 50% of families in New York do not own a car at all. Why bother?

Old 05-06-2009, 09:06 PM

1,817 posts, read 4,926,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dementor View Post
It is but there is an alternative. Remember, approx. 50% of families in New York do not own a car at all. Why bother?
This isnt new york...

Old 05-07-2009, 05:32 AM

863 posts, read 2,785,120 times
Quote:
I hate driving in Chicago. All the streets are so narrow and there are always traffic jams during the day.
Plus all you can do is parallel park in a neighborhood street and usually you need a permit for it. Screw that.
Spoken like a true Northsider.

Old 05-07-2009, 10:45 AM

Quote:

Driving in Chicago sucks for a variety of reasons, some of them related to quality of roads here but most to ineptitude of Chicago drivers. Chicago drivers generally act like they never heard of very generic rules of good urban driving such as:

- keep up with the traffic, real estate is very scarce on big city streets
- check your mirrors and use blinkers when making ALL turns, changing lanes and pulling over to the curb - there are too many cars to risk unanounced and sudden manuevres
- use the right lane unless you are going faster than cars ahead of you, don't hog the left lane
- obey traffic lights and signs, again, there too many cars on the road to bend the rules in your favor
- use you headlights whenever you turn on your wipers, see and be seen, it's the law
- start moving as soon as the light changes to green, there are hundreads of cars behind you and everyone wants to make this light not just you
- avoid sudden stops and blocking traffic, you share the road with thousands of other motorists, they should not have to wait because you want to look at this accident
- stay in your lane when you are making a turn, there are cars right next to you, you don't own this road with all its lanes
- when making a right turn pull over as close to the curb as possible, let people behind you pass while you wait for pedestrains to clear the crosswalk
- keep all the lights operational at all times, they may save your life
- focus, hang up the phone, stop eating, keep your hands on the wheel. Things happen on the road that may require your immediate reaction.

Very simple and short urban driving etiquette that is somehow routinely disregarded in Chicago. Most of Chicago roads and highways look like a stampede.
"Honorary" mention goes to Dept of Transportation for doing a terrible, half-assed job upkeeping all the signs, signals and lines on the pavement.

Last edited by dementor; 05-07-2009 at 11:38 AM..

Old 05-07-2009, 11:13 AM

2,314 posts, read 4,798,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dementor View Post
Driving in Chicago sucks for a variety of reasons, some of them related to quality of roads here but most to ineptitude of Chicago drivers. Chicago drivers generally act like they never heard of very generic rules of good urban driving such as:

- keep up with the traffic, real estate is very scarce on big city streets
- check your mirrors and use blinkers when making ALL turns, changing lanes and pulling over to the curb - there too many cars to risk unanounced manuevres
- use the right lane unless you are going faster than cars ahead of you, don't hog the left lane
- obey traffic lights and signs, again, there too many cars on the road to bend the rules in your favor
- use you headlights whenever you turn on your wipers, see and be seen, it's the law
- start moving as soon as the light changes to green, there are hundreads of cars behind you and everyone wants to make this light not just you
- avoid sudden stops and blocking traffic, you share the road with thousands of other motorists, they should not have to wait because you want to look at this accident
- stay in your lane when you are making a turn, there are cars right next to you, you don't own this road with all its lanes
- when making a right turn pull over as close to the curb as possible, let people behind you pass while you wait for pedestrains to clear the crosswalk
- keep all the lights operational at all times, they may save your life
- focus, get off the phone, sto eating, keep your hands on the wheel. Things happen on the road that may require your immediate reaction.

Very simple and short urban driving etiquette that is somehow routinely disregarded in Chicago. Most of Chicago roads and highways look like a stampede.
"Honorary" mention goes to Dept of Transportation for doing a terrible, half-assed job upkeeping all the signs, signals and lines on the pavement.
THIS IS IN ALL CITIES DEMENTOR.

If this is another one of your BS claims that proves Chicago apathy towards city issues, there's nothing that can be done about this.

People are a-holes, and there are a-holes everywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago