Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 11:04 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,580,482 times

Advertisements

This should have been a slam-dunk conviction. Either the DA is a complete retard or the judge is on the take.

Jefferson tap: Judge clears 3 Chicago police officers in 2006 fight at Jefferson tap -- chicagotribune.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2009, 11:27 AM

1,912 posts, read 5,470,088 times
Saw that in the Trib this morning. I'd wager the judge has some friends in high places who wanted to make this whole thing go away.

Old 04-29-2009, 02:32 PM

204 posts, read 764,733 times
Yea ok. How many normal people get charged with aggravated battery for getting in a bar fight???? Yea right NONE. This whole indictment was a joke. How it made it to trial is beyond me. Seems like a police witch hunt to me. How many bar fights even result in convictions, let alone arrest??? Those guys just wanted to get their millions from the city. They weren't even hurt in the fight.

Old 04-29-2009, 02:45 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,580,482 times
It got to trial because there was videotape of these thugs walking up and beating the hell out of people who were clearly not being aggressive in any way. And I promise you that anyone who draws a gun before starting a bar brawl is going to get charged with aggravated battery.

Old 04-29-2009, 02:49 PM
mh7

102 posts, read 334,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottl333 View Post
Yea ok. How many normal people get charged with aggravated battery for getting in a bar fight???? Yea right NONE. This whole indictment was a joke. How it made it to trial is beyond me. Seems like a police witch hunt to me. How many bar fights even result in convictions, let alone arrest??? Those guys just wanted to get their millions from the city. They weren't even hurt in the fight.
You can't really be serious? How often do responding patrol cars get waved off during bar fights?

Those clowns belong in jail.

I suppose you think that other cop who beat up that bartender on video was innocent as well...I mean that was a fight in a bar too, right?

Old 04-29-2009, 02:53 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,938,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mh7 View Post
You can't really be serious? How often do responding patrol cars get waved off during bar fights?
To me, this part was much worse than the fight itself--and is indicative of some larger problems with the department that MUST be addressed. They need to ditch the fraternity bull**** and start acting like professionals.

Old 04-29-2009, 03:22 PM

1,953 posts, read 4,980,401 times
Im surprised there hasnt been an up roar yet. I heard the judge said that the injured people exaggerated their injuries to get more $... Well wtf does that matter they were still punched and beaten. I dont understand what could of happend for them not to be convicted. You saw them punching people that werent fighting back...

Old 04-29-2009, 05:15 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,938,611 times
The fact that we live in a city where it's entirely feasible that the police and judge in this instance are both corrupt is a sad testament. If Jodi Weis isn't strong enough to clean this **** up, get someone else who is. The police chief needs the ability to stand up to Daley, and that isn't possible without making the post completely independent from mayoral hiring. But it's not like we can turn to the Aldermen or the State to do a better job.

Old 04-29-2009, 06:34 PM

211 posts, read 396,699 times
It was a bench trial. Trial by a judge, not jury. Traditionally, in Chicago, with the right lawyer, who finds a "good" judge, you are pretty certain to walk out free. You know about the Specter case in L.A.? Phil Specter got convicted. In Cook County, Illinois, there is about an 85% chance, he would still be a free man. They call it the "judicial system". But, what they really do in Cook County, is "handle" things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
This should have been a slam-dunk conviction. Either the DA is a complete retard or the judge is on the take.

Jefferson tap: Judge clears 3 Chicago police officers in 2006 fight at Jefferson tap -- chicagotribune.com

Old 04-29-2009, 07:03 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,777,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublenickels View Post
...You know about the Specter case in L.A.? Phil Specter got convicted...
He did not get convicted the first time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago