Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 07:05 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times

Advertisements

I think if someone was making fun of my father that just died and myself for being upset about his death I would want my buddies to kick some ass too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2009, 07:46 PM

149 posts, read 454,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
I think if someone was making fun of my father that just died and myself for being upset about his death I would want my buddies to kick some ass too.
and you'd likely accept the penalties that came with it, unless you are connected enough in this city.

Old 04-29-2009, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomguymike View Post
and you'd likely accept the penalties that came with it, unless you are connected enough in this city.
It is very rare that charges are brought in bar fights.

The action of waving off the squad cars was very stupid however.

Other than that and from what I know of the case the plaintiff's are just out for money.

If they would have said and did what they did in many places on the south side or west side some or all of them would not have made it back to their hotel,apartments,or homes alive.

Last edited by Avengerfire; 04-29-2009 at 08:30 PM..

Old 04-29-2009, 08:05 PM

367 posts, read 1,205,763 times
I dunno. But this part of the judge's written ruling does cost the victims some credibility for me.

"Barry Gilfand is not your typical victim of a crime," Gainer wrote. While Gilfand alleged his ribs were broken by the officers, the security video showed him in no apparent pain, the judge noted. Gilfand also didn't seek treatment until four days after the incident.

"He sought this treatment, of course, after he secured the services of a lawyer and after he refused to cooperate with the Chicago Police Department Office of Professional Standards," Gainer said.

-from today's Tribune front page story. When I have broken bones, I go to a doctor, not a lawyer.

Old 04-29-2009, 08:06 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
I don't give a crap if they're are out for money. That's no excuse for using your clout to beat the freakin' hell out of people and then get away with it. These are the people who we arm with guns and then send out onto the streets to protect us. Even if you buy the "they were taunting us" line, that's a ****-poor excuse. These hotheads shouldn't be given guns by the taxpayer.

If it's true they're "out for money" then I hope they'll get it. Then maybe we'll be one payout closer to the city taking its duty seriously to maintain a professional police force.

Old 04-29-2009, 08:08 PM

"Lindsay Vanderford testified she was tending bar at the Jefferson Tap and Grille when three off-duty Chicago police officers interrupted a game of pool being played by four patrons. Vanderford said that minutes later, when one of the patrons, Aaron Gilfand, tried to leave the bar, she watched from three feet away as Officer Gregory Barnes pushed Gilfand back into the vestibule of the tavern and struck him in the face.

Later, Barnes’ attorney, William Fahey, played security video from inside the bar that showed Vanderford look into the vestibule, then turn and put her hand to her head in dismay. Vanderford testified that was just after she saw Barnes strike Gilfand.

But Fahey then played footage from a second camera monitoring the exterior of the building that showed Barnes on the sidewalk outside at the moment when Vanderford said she saw him throw the punch. Fahey asked if she was still certain she saw Barnes strike Gilfand."

Vanderford hesitated before answering.

“Since no one can be in two places at one time … I would say it’s possible that I’m mistaken,” she said.

"Authorities also allege that Planey and Powers punched and kicked Barry Gilfand outside the bar and that Barnes and Planey attacked Aaron Gilfand inside the vestibule. But none of those alleged attacks was captured by video."

http://archives.chicagotribune.com/2...rson-tap_mar26

These are the reasons for the acquittals.

Any low level lawyer or law student should see why the ruling happened.

Old 04-29-2009, 08:14 PM

Yes actually, at least two of the attacks was captured on video which you can watch here. And this is only the portion of the video that was released to the public. Here's a transcript of the portion not released to the public (and why won't they release it anyway?) from a reporter who got to watch all of it.

The thing that gets me about the judge's opinion is how much of it is justified by conclusions that have nothing to do with the law. "He didn't appear to be in pain at the time." That has nothing to do with whether or not he was attacked. "He sought medical attention four days later." That doesn't have anything to do with whether or not he was attacked. "He got a lawyer." That also has nothing to do with whether or not he was attacked. "They were provoked by the men who were making fun of the officer who was crying." Unless you're a connected cop, that's not legal grounds to batter someone.

Old 04-29-2009, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatpuff View Post
I dunno. But this part of the judge's written ruling does cost the victims some credibility for me.

"Barry Gilfand is not your typical victim of a crime," Gainer wrote. While Gilfand alleged his ribs were broken by the officers, the security video showed him in no apparent pain, the judge noted. Gilfand also didn't seek treatment until four days after the incident.

"He sought this treatment, of course, after he secured the services of a lawyer and after he refused to cooperate with the Chicago Police Department Office of Professional Standards," Gainer said.

-from today's Tribune front page story. When I have broken bones, I go to a doctor, not a lawyer.
Especially when one of the plaintiff's is a (now former) CBOE trader who made a movie that came out a year after (not about this incident however.)

Maybe he lost his shirt on the movie making process and was anticipating a large payout from the city when he decided not to co-operate with OPS and not go to the hospital for four days?

================================================== =========================================
"Aaron Gilfand graduated from The University of Arizona in 1996 and moved back home to “the windy city.” With determination and financial ingenuity, he entered the fast paced world of commodity options trading at The Chicago Mercantile Exchange. He quickly climbed his way to the top becoming an independent trader in nine months and was a partner of a proprietary trading firm within three years. After ten years of trading in Chicago, New York, and Philly he decided it was time to pursue his real passions, writing and producing. His debut project as writer/producer is the feature film, The Pits, a gritty biopic about his experiences as one of the top traders in the most volatile exchange in the world. The Pits is scheduled to begin production August 2008."

Aaron Gilfand Bio (http://thepitsmovie.com/aaron.php - broken link)

Old 04-29-2009, 08:55 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,662,137 times
Quote:
"If he would have convicted the cops, the [Fraternal Order of Police] would have been down on him," said Marijane Placek.
Good to know they have our best interests at heart.

Old 04-29-2009, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Especially when one of the plaintiff's is a (now former) CBOE trader who made a movie that came out a year after (not about this incident however.)

Maybe he lost his shirt on the movie making process and was anticipating a large payout from the city when he decided not to co-operate with OPS and not go to the hospital for four days?

================================================== =========================================
"Aaron Gilfand graduated from The University of Arizona in 1996 and moved back home to “the windy city.” With determination and financial ingenuity, he entered the fast paced world of commodity options trading at The Chicago Mercantile Exchange. He quickly climbed his way to the top becoming an independent trader in nine months and was a partner of a proprietary trading firm within three years. After ten years of trading in Chicago, New York, and Philly he decided it was time to pursue his real passions, writing and producing. His debut project as writer/producer is the feature film, The Pits, a gritty biopic about his experiences as one of the top traders in the most volatile exchange in the world. The Pits is scheduled to begin production August 2008."

Aaron Gilfand Bio (http://thepitsmovie.com/aaron.php - broken link)
Or maybe he made a few bucks in the commodities trading business, which I'm guessing is the case if he was a partner at a trading firm. What the hell does this have to do with whether or not these animals committed battery?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago