Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 01:55 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,780,988 times

Advertisements

I think this plan is terrible. We should instead take that $15 billion and invest it in Uptown. More specifically, Buena Park. And even more specifically, my condo in Buena Park. Now that is a good use of public money!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2009, 01:58 PM

Back to reality... As far as I'm concerned, we can't spend enough on the Central Business District. I'd like to see investment in the neighborhoods too, of course. But the CBD is what kept Chicago going strong through the post-war abandonment years, and it's the economic generator that prevented us from becoming another Detroit. Richard J. Daley was often criticized for investing too much money downtown and for being too cozy with business leaders, but we'd be in dire straits if he had not built things like McCormick Place and helped modernize a downtown that was ailing (at a time when most downtowns were ailing across the country). I know Richard J. and Richard M. are easy to criticize and are far from perfect leaders, but the upside to having an oligarch is that they get it done. What would Paris be without Henry IV and Baron von Hausmann?

The downside to the all powerful mayor, of course, is "urban renewal" and Robert Moses. This is what we got when we tried to "invest in neighborhoods".

Old 04-24-2009, 02:17 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,259,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
The whole problem is the way that your pitiful state regulates purchases by the various agencies and municipalities.

If Metra or CTA or the Park District wants to buy "normal goods" they must go to competitive bids and the bids come back looking pretty much like what you'd pay if you want to a normal store and paid list price plus upcharges for delivery and such. Not the best deal but nobody really gets shafted.

When any agency wants to buy "custom solutions" they are allowed to have NO BID contracts because the assumption the customization is not off the shelf. What happens is there are MASSIVELY INFLATED contracts for all the work and the hardware and the ongoing maintaince and the ONLY firms that get those no bids contracts are pumping MILLIONS back into the campaign coffers of crooks from Blagovejich to the Commisioners of the Water Reclamation District.

Folks we HAVE elections that are "publicly funded" it is just that those funds are OUR inflated taxes and fees that ONLY get recycled by contractors into keeping the INCUMBANTS in power!!!!
"I feel your pain".
I just hope people wake up and get rid of Stroger and the rest of the tax-a-holic cronies. I know the problem is bigger than that but it is a tangible first step.
......now how can we redirect the fed stimulus money that averages out to $43,000 per PERSON. Man, if I took that lump sum and invested it it would be VERY stimulating.
Lookout has very valid points, infrastructure is appealing because you can see the results. And, although it is hard to quantify, you do get a return on investment through retaining and attracting business, residents and tourists.

Old 04-24-2009, 06:58 PM

3,631 posts, read 10,232,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
I think this plan is terrible. We should instead take that $15 billion and invest it in Uptown. More specifically, Buena Park. And even more specifically, my condo in Buena Park. Now that is a good use of public money!
come on! you know it would only go to build 20 more stories on to the wilson yard project! (Speaking of, are they going all out with building that super fast or what??)

Old 04-24-2009, 07:02 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,602,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiddy View Post
There is the site of the old Merc though. Good thing we tore it down to create another vacant lot in the loop. Maybe in 20 years we'll get that schlock they're putting up at block 37.
Ouch.

Old 04-24-2009, 07:04 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,602,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernerdgirl View Post
come on! you know it would only go to build 20 more stories on to the wilson yard project! (Speaking of, are they going all out with building that super fast or what??)
The cleanup of the toxic soil and the digging of the foundation took such a long time that is appears to many that they are building really fast, but IMO they are moving at average speed.

Old 04-24-2009, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
The cleanup of the toxic soil and the digging of the foundation took such a long time that is appears to many that they are building really fast, but IMO they are moving at average speed.
Not to mention all of the neighbors bitching and causing a ruckus. Oh wait, that had no effect.

Old 04-24-2009, 09:30 PM

264 posts, read 716,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookout kid View Post
i think this plan is terrible. We should instead take that $15 billion and invest it in uptown. More specifically, buena park. And even more specifically, my condo in buena park. Now that is a good use of public money!
hahaha!!

Old 04-24-2009, 09:32 PM

264 posts, read 716,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Back to reality... As far as I'm concerned, we can't spend enough on the Central Business District. I'd like to see investment in the neighborhoods too, of course. But the CBD is what kept Chicago going strong through the post-war abandonment years, and it's the economic generator that prevented us from becoming another Detroit. Richard J. Daley was often criticized for investing too much money downtown and for being too cozy with business leaders, but we'd be in dire straits if he had not built things like McCormick Place and helped modernize a downtown that was ailing (at a time when most downtowns were ailing across the country). I know Richard J. and Richard M. are easy to criticize and are far from perfect leaders, but the upside to having an oligarch is that they get it done. What would Paris be without Henry IV and Baron von Hausmann?

The downside to the all powerful mayor, of course, is "urban renewal" and Robert Moses. This is what we got when we tried to "invest in neighborhoods".
actually, McCormik place is considered, even by the city government, to be one of the biggest mistakes ever made.

Old 04-25-2009, 12:24 AM

7,330 posts, read 15,382,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carantini View Post
actually, McCormik place is considered, even by the city government, to be one of the biggest mistakes ever made.
Yeah? Then why did they expand it multiple times?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago