Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 08:30 AM

1,302 posts, read 1,957,509 times

Advertisements

I have been a long time creeper on this site, but finally have a reason to create an account....I am a born and raised New Yorker, I actually grew up in Manhattan in Washington Heights. I am a financial trader, mainly trading in Asian markets, and my office moving me to Chicago to open up a new office.
I admit that I am not too familiar with Chicago, I have been to Naperville once and many flights into O'hare but that is about it.

I am a 28 year old white male currently paying $2400 for a studio in SoHo in New York, I would like to have a one bedroom in Chicago and based on Craigslist, my price point should be ok (if not less). I work very off hours since I trade in Asia so I am looking for a 24 hour neighborhood (Cafes, Restaurants, etc...)

My ideal neighborhood would be close to the subway (I wont have a car), 24 hours, good shopping nearby, NOT a highrise building, and just that general "buzz" you get when your outside.

My fiance who will eventually move with me is a Chef, so farmers markets, fresh outdoor markets nearby would be a plus. I am basically looking for that see and be seen crowd one would get in SoHo.

I am actually at the airport now heading to Chicago for a week, any advise would be great, as I would like to check out a few places while im there, and hopefully find something.

Also,,,what is the typical rate an apartment broker charges for an apartment in Chicago?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2011, 08:36 AM

17 posts, read 25,958 times
In Chicago, the landlord pays the broker's fee, not the tenant.

Old 05-20-2011, 08:38 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,749,923 times
Welcome to Chicago!

I would check out Lincoln Park, you won't need to spend anywhere near that amount on an apartment. The Green City market is every Saturday in the Park for your GF. The neighborhood is filled with restaurants, bars, etc. Great access to trains and buses.

Great news, we have no brokers fees!

Old 05-20-2011, 08:42 AM

1,325 posts, read 4,207,229 times
As the above poster indicated, apartment rental finders are almost always free to the tenants in Chicago.

Chicago is not quite as big on 24 hour neighborhoods as NYC. I think you would like Lakeview, Lincoln Park, or maybe Streeterville (just east of N. Michigan Ave.) or the Gold Coast.

Old 05-20-2011, 08:47 AM

Wow, thanks for the quick responses. My boss who lived in Chicago for a while mentioned Lincoln Park, I will put that at the top of my list. Is there an area with Lincoln Park that I should check out or is the neighborhood small enough that it doesnt matter where you live? I saw in another thread that the Gold Coast is more of an older crowd, I am not sure that is what I am looking for, as I am known to go out drinking/partying 3 or 4 nights a week. I will def take a look at Streeterville, I haven't heard of that one before.

Good to hear no fees for apartments, that is terrific news, can be 1.5 months rent in NYC

Old 05-20-2011, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAReastcoast View Post
Wow, thanks for the quick responses. My boss who lived in Chicago for a while mentioned Lincoln Park, I will put that at the top of my list. Is there an area with Lincoln Park that I should check out or is the neighborhood small enough that it doesnt matter where you live? I saw in another thread that the Gold Coast is more of an older crowd, I am not sure that is what I am looking for, as I am known to go out drinking/partying 3 or 4 nights a week. I will def take a look at Streeterville, I haven't heard of that one before.

Good to hear no fees for apartments, that is terrific news, can be 1.5 months rent in NYC
Lincoln Park is a pretty big area. All of which is safe and nice. Gold Coast and Streeterville are fine. I think you'll prefer LP though.

Also, my office is on Dearborn and Kinzie if that makes a difference. I typically split my time between Subway and Taxi's in nyc to get to work, so accesss to both will be good.

17 posts, read 25,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAReastcoast View Post

Lincoln Park is pretty big and parts of it are pretty far from the El (but bus service is good). Ideally you'd probably want to be along the Red/Brown liness

Also check out Old Town, which is just south of Lincoln Park.

Old 05-20-2011, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Lincoln Park is a pretty big area. All of which is safe and nice. Gold Coast and Streeterville are fine. I think you'll prefer LP though.
Looking at Google Maps, Lincoln Park looks to be a (suburban isn't the right word),leafy single family home area? Queens-ish?Are there specific streets/areas I should be looking at?

Old 05-20-2011, 09:01 AM

LP has a large mix of SF's, small apartment buildings and even high rises along the Lake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago