Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2009, 05:16 AM

5 posts, read 12,082 times

Advertisements

Hi there,
We are relocating to Chicago (want to live in the city) and just spent a week visiting and looking for full time daycare/scool for a 3 year old as well as a nice rental.

We saw a lot but not that much great that would work with commuting, etc.
One of the places we fell in love with is in the Gold Coast.

Is there good full time daycare in that area? Both my husband and I work full time.
Does anyone have any experience with Lincoln Park Prep?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2009, 09:35 AM

1,912 posts, read 5,451,197 times
I don't know if you'll get much from this forum. Lots of Gold Coast/Lincoln Park haters here. I have never dealt with daycare (ah, the joys of being laid off) but I can tell you that good schooling is VERY competitive here, especially in the pricier neighborhoods like where you are looking. There are very few good public schools so the ones there are are in high demand. In LP, both Newberry and Oscar Meyer offer competitive pre-schools. Mayer is free and Newberry is about 10-12,000 annually. If you are willing to part with that kind of money I would suggest British School for a 3 year old. They have an accelerated British style of education and the kids I've met coming out of there seem to get a great early education.

It is located on Halsted just south of North ave so the commute would be maybe 10-15 minutes by car. It's just off the Clybourn red line stop too.

Old 04-16-2009, 09:45 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,824,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surlycue View Post
I don't know if you'll get much from this forum. Lots of Gold Coast/Lincoln Park haters here. I have never dealt with daycare (ah, the joys of being laid off) but I can tell you that good schooling is VERY competitive here, especially in the pricier neighborhoods like where you are looking. There are very few good public schools so the ones there are are in high demand. In LP, both Newberry and Oscar Meyer offer competitive pre-schools. Mayer is free and Newberry is about 10-12,000 annually. If you are willing to part with that kind of money I would suggest British School for a 3 year old. They have an accelerated British style of education and the kids I've met coming out of there seem to get a great early education.

It is located on Halsted just south of North ave so the commute would be maybe 10-15 minutes by car. It's just off the Clybourn red line stop too.
There are many great daycare and school options in and around the Gold Coast. Cost is the major issue. I used to send my daughter to a cheaper daycare in Lake View, and even that was $1400/month. I'd expect to pay more than that in the Gold Coast. When I looked for daycare options downtown, $1800/month seemed pretty average. Nannies get about $13/hour for one kid in that area--though it can vary widely depending on who you hire. I've seen two kids for $17/hour.

Many of the premier private schools are located in the Gold Coast and Lincoln Park. The Latin School, Frances Parker, and the aforementioned British School are all nearby--and tend to cost more than $20,000 per year. Another option just south of the Gold Coast is Frances Xavier, the Catholic School associated with Holy Name Cathedral and Old St. Patricks (they split it up at both campuses by age). There are some decent public schools in the area, but you really need to research those carefully. What age are your kids?

Old 04-16-2009, 09:53 AM

1,912 posts, read 5,451,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
What age are your kids?
Were you directing this to me or the OP? She has a 3 year old.

I am way too broke to even worry about pre-school until it becomes free. I am also districted to Lincoln Elementary so if my magnet lottery options, (I'm considering Lasalle -because it is two blocks away-, Newberry and Franklin) do not work out then my home school is by no means crap. The quality of my home public schools are basically the only reason I am in this neighborhood. Believe me, I do not fit in with the typical LP mom so I am just biding my time.

Old 04-16-2009, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by surlycue View Post
Were you directing this to me or the OP? She has a 3 year old.
The OP. I should have picked that up.

Old 04-17-2009, 03:14 PM

1,083 posts, read 3,728,068 times
There are many daycare options available in the Gold Coast. The easiest way to get current info is to ask your realtor for a list. Most good realtors will have this at their office. I had neighbors that sent their kids ot loval daycare programs, but my info would be outdated. It is there though.

Old 04-19-2009, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthera View Post
There are many daycare options available in the Gold Coast. The easiest way to get current info is to ask your realtor for a list. Most good realtors will have this at their office. I had neighbors that sent their kids ot loval daycare programs, but my info would be outdated. It is there though.
Most of the home daycare or nanny options are unknown by realtors, however. I just wanted to point that out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago