Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 01:49 PM

1,475 posts, read 4,159,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whinniethezen View Post
and whether you are a baseball fan like my husband or a activist against racism like myself
Wait I'm confused. Are you saying your husband is a racist?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2009, 01:56 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,808,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
...If you want to talk about intolerance and bigotry, I'll tell you that I hear so many anti-gay slurs thrown around when they blast YMCA it's not even funny.
Furthermore if one REALLY wants to hear anti-gay slurs go to a game when the White Sox are visiting Wrigley.

I suppose because of a few bad apples it can be assumed ALL White Sox fans are anti-gay bigot homophobes right?

Are you with me here?

Old 08-28-2009, 02:09 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,939,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Furthermore if one REALLY wants to hear anti-gay slurs go to a game when the White Sox are visiting Wrigley.

I suppose because of a few bad apples it can be assumed ALL White Sox fans are anti-gay bigot homophobes right?

Are you with me here?
my point is simply that I don't think racial slurs would be tolerated at Wrigley, but otoh, the anti-gay ones seem to be. might be because they seem to be confined to the times when that tune is blaring.

Old 08-28-2009, 02:11 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,157,072 times
Y'all racist.

And gay.

Old 08-28-2009, 02:13 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,808,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
my point is simply that I don't think racial slurs would be tolerated at Wrigley...
I don't think they are either.

Old 08-28-2009, 11:11 PM

68 posts, read 216,152 times
Milton Bradley is a loser, and ever hear the phrase: it-takes-one-to-know-one, so it's Bradley who is an anti-white racist full of hate. This reminds of when Scottie Pippen whined about racism, concurrent with Michael Jordan being the most beloved athlete in Chicago and perhaps the world. Chicagoans loved Walter Payton too. Bradley is a dumb you-know-what and I think he's finally becoming self-aware of it.

Old 08-29-2009, 09:30 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,964,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
I don't think they are either.
If someone yelled out the n-word at Wrigley, they would probably be asked to leave or attacked. I've never heard anything close to a racial slur at Wrigley in the dozens of Cubs games I've attended.

I think those unsanctioned vendors on Sheffield need a shirt that says, "Hey Milton, we're not racist! We just hate you!". Or something to that effect.

Old 08-29-2009, 09:46 AM

128 posts, read 307,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJaye View Post
whinniethezen, My question is... do you want to talk about racism in a real sense, as in actually talking amongst a group of people from various races about how they actually feel to try to reach a mutual understanding as to why certain things still happen, or do you just want to hear white guilt? Racism is a real problem, but I honestly believe that some of the tactics currently being used by people that refer to themselves as "activists against racism" are only making the problem worse.

If you want someone to say something like "there are a lot of big bad white people out there, but I am not one of them." and then express some adoration for the president and/or some other black leader, there are plenty of people in Chicago that will do this for you. In the end, you will be solving nothing. In fact, you'll have a new problem to solve, as you will then have to figure out whether the person who spewed all of this out is trying to convince you that he isn't racist, or trying to convince himself!

I honestly believe this tactic is not working. I would like the racial divisions in this country healed as badly as anyone else, but making me feel guilty about something that happened decades to centuries before I was born is not going to do it. I accuse you of this tactic based on past events with people, but if it turns out I am wrong, I will apologize. I am seriously open to a real conversation on the matter if you are, although I know a lot of people on this forum are sick of the subject.

I appreciate your post and I sincerely apologize if I came off wrong.
I am not some whack job extreme left activist looking to poke the bear. I was however concerned and very appauled when I heard these ugly stories on ESPN and online of African American baseball players being demeaned from the stands at Wrigley Field in Chicago. In my book it doesn't get much lower than that and yes it should be chatted about online, and everywhere, because this is probably going on in other cities too. There didn't appear to be anyone in this forum even talking about it before I posted this!!!???? I'm also sorry you think I'm trying to make you feel gulity. Simply not the case. Despite what avergerfir said, I'm Irish as a shamrock and my husband who also posts here has Latino roots. I am not African American!? That said....
I feel like you might be have been reading into this just a wee too much. There is no "tactic" here. This is a city forum. Discussions of social issues like racism are held here for every city every day. It is just a discussion, not meant to make someone feel guilty or to put down the Cubs fans, and in no way should Angelfire or anyone else here feel that this post reflects poorly on the entire city of Chicago. It is very interesting that these people, probably white, get so defensive. You'd think I posted a thread that said "So is Chicago really the underground headquarters for the KuKluxKlan"
It's far from that. It's an observation that for the last few years at Wrigley Field, players are hearing racial slurs yelled at them. Particularly black players. I'm not saying it was you or anyone here. What are the odds of that in a huge city like Chicago haha? The thought behind the post is just to ask why do you suppose this is being reported out of Chicago so much??? I think I even started the thread wondering if the media was conspiring.
No hard feelings?

Last edited by whinniethezen; 08-29-2009 at 09:55 AM..

Old 08-29-2009, 09:50 AM

128 posts, read 307,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
If someone yelled out the n-word at Wrigley, they would probably be asked to leave or attacked. I've never heard anything close to a racial slur at Wrigley in the dozens of Cubs games I've attended.

I think those unsanctioned vendors on Sheffield need a shirt that says, "Hey Milton, we're not racist! We just hate you!". Or something to that effect.

I am not a baseball fan, but my husband is and he just said the Cubs should have known better than to get involved with Bradley. He had a track record.

Old 08-29-2009, 09:54 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,964,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whinniethezen View Post
I am not a baseball fan, but my husband is and he just said the Cubs should have known better than to get involved with Bradley. He had a track record.
He's been a problem everywhere he has played. He is certainly not trustworthy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago