Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 11:49 AM

15,586 posts, read 27,600,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whinniethezen View Post
...The others (not all outfielders) were...

...Derreck Lee, Alfonso Soriano, and who knows who else?...
Nothing in this article talks about racial comments made towards D. Lee and A. Soriano.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/1527182,CST-SPT-cub15.article (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2009, 11:59 AM

8,515 posts, read 16,179,786 times
Avenger,

you and I NEVER see eye to eye on anything but I will say, don't waste your time with this. You're much to smart to get worked up over this nonsense.

It's very obvious what's going on here. Call a spade a spade. Don't even entertain them.

Peace,
Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Maybe you are conspiring to kick up arguments against Chicago with false information to keep people like Jesse Jackson stay in power and rolling in dough. It seems like you a trolling now. I mean you came to the Illinois Forums because you were considering moving to the Chicago area. Now after finding out $750 a month is not going to get you very far here (this is the case for many other places as well) you post a inflammatory thread about Chicago. You have never lived here and as far as I know never visited Chicago. Yet you are speaking like you are so sure Chicago is the most racist place on the face of the earth. Have you attended Cub games and witnessed racist remarks to players first hand? Nope.

I have been to many Cub games over the last three decades and never heard any.

Your title: "Racist comments toward another black athlete in Chicago"

Really? Who are the others???

8/26/09

8/20/09

Old 08-28-2009, 12:03 PM

128 posts, read 305,812 times
Here is another article which mentions that Tori Hunter had the Cubs under his no-trade clause because of the racist chants.

Bush League Times: April 2009

Old 08-28-2009, 12:04 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,179,786 times
I will agree with this. I did hear it discussed on Comcast Sports Net last night.

Quote:
The newspaper article does not mention Derrick Lee or Alfonso Soriano, those two were mentioned on ESPN. But I'll just take YOUR word over all those other players/manager or the Chicago Sun times and ESPN. People with psycoses like yourself are far more reliable.

Old 08-28-2009, 12:09 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,876,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
"filled" is a ridiculous exaggeration, but as Derrek Lee is a class act, I'll take his word on this:

Bradley blaming writers after 0-for-5 day, 5-4 loss :: CHICAGO SUN-TIMES :: Cubs (http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/cubs/1739415,CST-SPT-cub28.article - broken link)

"team leader Derrek Lee revealed that he has heard racist taunts at Wrigley Field directed at others and had Bradley's back on the issue, Bradley refused to be specific and tried to blame writers for the latest maelstrom he caused."
Avenger, this is Derrek Lee saying he's heard the comments. That's not that they've been directed at him, but it does lend IMO some credibility to the complaint.

I still think Bradley is just an overpaid whining pile of suckitude, but it wouldn't surprise me that in a crowd of 40,000 you get a few stone-cold racists. All I can say is that in my 30+ years of going to Wrigley I've never heard one.

Old 08-28-2009, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Here is another article which mentions that Tori Hunter had the Cubs under his no-trade clause because of the racist chants.

If you actually read this page in this link ( and if you notice it is from April 15th 2009 ) you would see that the writer is scoffing at this whole race baiting situation.

"...It doesn't figure to help that Bradley is off to a 1-for-17 start -- the kind of slow start that led to fans booing All-Stars Derrek Lee and Alfonso Soriano in their first seasons with the Cubs.

Lee -- who was hit with chants of ''Hee Seop Choi! Hee Seop Choi!'' for the first baseman the Cubs traded to Florida to get him -- was one of the veterans who talked with Bradley before spring training to let him know what to expect in Chicago.

If I boo Bradley because he starts the year 1-17, am I a racist? Am I still allowed to cheer or boo based on performance or do I run the risk of missing out on Type-A free agents?

Also, chanting "Hee Seop Choi!" is not racist. It's incredibly stupid, but it's not racist..."

Last edited by Avengerfire; 08-28-2009 at 12:21 PM..

Old 08-28-2009, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
Avenger, this is Derrek Lee saying he's heard the comments. That's not that they've been directed at him, but it does lend IMO some credibility to the complaint...
I did see that and I am not denying that he has heard comments. But again, he never states who the players were and does not say any were directed towards himself. Also, he is not quoted, the writer is relaying information but is not quoting Lee.

I find it peculiar that this whole Milton Bradley debacle all of the sudden starts up earlier this year around Jacky Robinson Day. And now when Bradley and the Cubs play is going down the crap tubes Bradley resurrects it.

Last edited by Avengerfire; 08-28-2009 at 12:26 PM..

Old 08-28-2009, 12:18 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,876,504 times
Quote:
I find it peculiar that this whole Milton Bradley debacle all of the sudden comes to a head a few days before Jacky Robinson Day (which is today.)
I think it's mostly due to Bradley stinking up the joint so bad against the worst team in the bloody league, and clearly trying to deflect responsibility for that.

To say he's been a disappointment is one hell of an understatement.

Old 08-28-2009, 12:19 PM

128 posts, read 305,812 times
Quote:
Ok well post the link where Lee and Soriano are quoted that they have been victims of racial taunts.

Speaking of psychosis, you have one that involves the paranoia of thinking the white man is out to dick you over everywhere you go just because you are black. Going by your reasoning, if the only people that get screwed over in life by rich white big wigs are black I certainly must be black (but alas I am not.)

There is no "link" to a live broadcast of ESPN, I guess you just have to watch. They reported that Derreck Lee and Alfonso Soriano admitted to hearing racial slurs hurled at players at Wrigley Field in Chicago. But why are you so concerned about just those two players? You don't care that all those other players (Cameron, Jones, Hunter, Hawkins) plus Dusty Baker reported such incidents?
And why do you think I'm black now? Because I asked about the number of racist incidents at Wrigley Field??? It is currently in the news and is about some apparent culture in the city of Chicago (that's this forum right??) and whether you are a baseball fan like my husband or a activist against racism like myself, it needs to be talked about. Or did you assume I'm black because my name is Whinnie? I don't think anyone on an internet forum ever assumed I was black before. Great job letting those underlying sterotypes come gushing out. This should be TALKED about, not argued about as you are doing.

Last edited by whinniethezen; 08-28-2009 at 12:40 PM..

Old 08-28-2009, 12:32 PM

Quote:
There is no "link" to a live broadcast of ESPN, I guess you just have to watch. They said that Derreck Lee and Alfonso Soriano have admitted to hearing racial slurs hurled at players at Wrigley. But why are you so concerned about just those two? You don't care that all those other players plus Dusty Baker were targeted?...
Did they interview them on camera or are they just quoting an article that does not quote Soriano or Lee and states hearsay to begin with?

If Dusty Baker and Latroy Hawkins were "targeted" how come they did not file reports/complaints with the proper authorities (like the U.S. Postal Service,F.B.I.,Chicago Police, etc...?)

Threatening or harassing someone by mail or telephone are serious offenses. Threatening someone with racial comments is an offense on many levels.

If this really happened and Baker (and/or Hawkins) went to the proper authorities I would expect arrest(s) and/or court cases would have followed.

I have heard of neither stemming from these supposed incidents.

Quote:
...or a activist against racism like myself, it needs to be talked about...
Thanks for admitting that. Now your true intentions have been proven. You came on this site to cause and start trouble.

You are not worth speaking to anymore.

You really mean an activist to perpetuate racism don't you?

I bet Al and Jesse have you on speed dial.

Last edited by Avengerfire; 08-28-2009 at 12:44 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago