Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 09:26 AM

818 posts, read 2,171,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Central Illinois 1 View Post
Cubs and Sox fans are equally loyal. But there are more Cubs fans overall.
For the most part I would believe this to be true. As a Cubs fan, I am often asked by Sox fans to name the Cubs starting rotation, or tell them who starts at each position to prove that I am a real fan. I admit there are many Cubs fans that don't know how Rich Harden and Ryan Theriot are. They probably go to be with the in crowd because their favorite celebrity was at Wrigley, or their friends from DePaul thought it would be cool. However, there are also many White Sox fans that are in it to be contrarian, or "stand up for the little guy against the team of the rich". This is just simply annoying and not a reason to like a baseball team. The 2 groups I mentioned (in-crowd Cubs fans and populism driven Sox fans) probably make up an equal proportion of their respective team's fan base, but because group 1 is much larger, and much more visible, Cubs fans get saddled with the sterotype that they come for the Oldstyle (like that has EVER been a reason to go ANYWHERE)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2009, 11:50 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,753,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJaye View Post
Cubs fans get saddled with the sterotype that they come for the Oldstyle (like that has EVER been a reason to go ANYWHERE)

I always thought it funny that Cubs Park featured Old Style and Sox Park didn't as Old Style was at one time THE regular guy beer in Chicago, if you went into a working man's tavern most of the guys would be drinking Old Style.

I'm still fond of an Old Style and a shot of VO.

Old 03-02-2009, 01:36 PM

774 posts, read 2,496,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UICJohn View Post
I'm sorry, but as a Cubs fan, I'm really getting sick of the whole "Cubs fans don't care about the team, just drinking" stereotype.

If that was simply the case, how come the Cubs draw so many fans while playing on the road? I was in Pittsburgh last year to see the Cubs and there were tons of Cubs fans. I talked to many who similarly drove there or flew there to see the Cubs play. I don't see many, if any cities that there are thousands of White Sox fans at away games.

Also, if you think you go to the White Sox games and every fan is there intent on watching the game and not drinking, then you are not being honest.

I am not going to lie - there are a ton of Cubs fans who go because it's cool and because it's fun to be there and to drink - trust me, I hate those fans! I am a younger Cubs fan, 25, but I go there to watch game. I never leave my seat because I don't want to miss a pitch and I know a lot of fans like that too. I also have several White Sox fan friends who know maybe 5% of the knowledge that Cubs fan friends have abou the Cubs. To be completely honest, I know a lot more about the White Sox than most of my White Sox friends. Maybe my friends are just bad White Sox fans, but if that's the case, then that's my point of view.
I'm one of the biggest White Sox fans in the world, but I actually have to reluctantly agree with UICJohn on this point. There's certainly a contingent of people that just say that they're Cubs fans only because they like to go to Wrigley Field and get hammered at the bars. However, there's no other team in baseball other than the Red Sox that draws more fans on the road, which is in direct contradiction with the "all Cubs fans like to do is get drunk at Wrigley" argument. If you take the time to travel to enemy territory and openly root for your team, you get major points in my book as a sports fan.

As a Sox fan, I have always been impressed with the way that Cubs fans still fill up the stands both at home and on the road no matter how they're performing. To me, that's the test of loyalty - it's easy to cheer for a team and buy tickets when a team is winning lots of games, but loyalty is shown by unwavering support in the bad times. On this front, it's obvious that there's no contest - the Sox get about 50% capacity when they're playing badly, while the Cubs will sell out win or lose. Of course, loyalty doesn't equal brains.

By the way, in response to the OP, while Chicago is certainly a great baseball town (and overall sports town in general), it is first and foremost a Bears town above all else without question. The national media's annual fawning over the plight of the Cubs has distorted outsiders' views of the true sports pecking order in the city.

Old 03-02-2009, 02:19 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,753,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank the Tank View Post
As a Sox fan, I have always been impressed with the way that Cubs fans still fill up the stands both at home and on the road no matter how they're performing. To me, that's the test of loyalty - it's easy to cheer for a team and buy tickets when a team is winning lots of games, but loyalty is shown by unwavering support in the bad times. On this front, it's obvious that there's no contest - the Sox get about 50% capacity when they're playing badly, while the Cubs will sell out win or lose. Of course, loyalty doesn't equal brains.

Professional baseball is a product, like a pair of shoes or a washing machine and I don't think it makes much sense to buy a bad product. To my way of thinking it's to the credit of Sox fans that they stay away when the product stinks, it shows a practicality and worldly cynicism that's proper in Chicago people. I think the blind devotion some sports fans have and their willingness to shell out their dough for a bum product is kind'a naive. Would you continue to patronize a car wash that always gave you a lousy wash?

I like the Sox but I sure as Hell ain't gonna show them loyalty; loyalty is reserved for family and friends and for those business associates who'll show some loyalty back. For me loyalty is a personal relationship not a consumer one.

Old 03-02-2009, 03:16 PM

308 posts, read 757,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank the Tank View Post
Chicago is certainly a great baseball town (and overall sports town in general), it is first and foremost a Bears town above all else without question. The national media's annual fawning over the plight of the Cubs has distorted outsiders' views of the true sports pecking order in the city.
And this is what I love about the Bears and football season. Cubs fans and White Sox fans have their own allegiance, and then baseball season ends, and we're all Bears fans!

Old 03-17-2009, 11:26 AM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times
"Celebrate the boys of summer and join in the fun as the City of Chicago and National City Bank present Play Ball, Chicago! on Wednesday, April 8,2009 from 10 am to 3 pm on Daley Plaza (Washington and Dearborn Streets). This 2nd annual celebration unites fans of the Chicago Cubs, Chicago White Sox, Kane County Cougars, Windy City Thunderbolts and Joliet Jackhammers and Schaumburg Flyers as they begin their seasons in Chicago."

Play Ball, Chicago! (http://www.explorechicago.org/city/en/things_see_do/event_landing/special_events/mose/play_ball__chicago.html - broken link)

What?

Old 03-17-2009, 12:18 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,623,677 times
Isn't that just asking for a riotous brawl to ensue?

Old 03-17-2009, 03:29 PM

440 posts, read 1,502,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UICJohn View Post
I'm sorry, but as a Cubs fan, I'm really getting sick of the whole "Cubs fans don't care about the team, just drinking" stereotype.
John, a lot of that stereotype derives from the days of the bleacher bums.

Just so you know, there was once a time when the Cubs games DIDN'T sell out, and the bleacher seats were $3.50 first come, first served, and the Old Styles were a buck and change - roughly the same price as a cover charge and hooch beer at dive clubs like O'Banions or Lucky Number.

Consequently, there WERE a lot of low lifes at the day games during the week at Wrigley Field, and the Cubs DID run the place almost as if they were saloon keepers, putting an inferior product on the field, all the while keeping the fans too drunk on cheap beer to give a hoot.

Times have changed, the Bleacher Bums are long gone (driven out by the Tribune Company), but old attitudes die hard.

I frankly find it incredulous that people still talk about the crowds at Wrigley that way, but you know what? I actually MISS being able to go down there and get plowed with my buddies at saloon prices on a whim.

This presale-only and expensive beer thing sucks bigtime in my book, but alas, it is the way of the world.

Old 03-17-2009, 05:11 PM

308 posts, read 757,688 times
While I don't really know about those days being 25, I know how the games and even the area used to be. I know that Wrigleyville used to be a crappier neighborhood. I remember when I was younger getting tickets was nothing like it is now. I'm not saying I remember the days when it was empty but still.

I have to say, I'm glad that they care more about the product now and if the Bleacher Bums were really like that, then don't mind them being gone either. However, I do hate the fact that a pop costs 5.50 with expensive nachos and have to either get lucky or pay overprice to get tickets.

Old 03-17-2009, 06:02 PM

2,242 posts, read 6,240,558 times
I never buy food when I go.

I just wait till I leave and look for some fast food place along the streets of Chicago
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago