Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 01:02 PM

111 posts, read 381,199 times

Advertisements

I still disagree--if the ordinance you cited governs, my reading of it is that they can give you a ticket in your driveway. You disagree, and that's fine by me. However, the only way we'll get an answer is if you fight it. Go to administrative hearings and try--I am honestly curious. The downside, to that, of course, is that you may be forced to register the car if you're mistaken.

Old 01-09-2009, 01:09 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnm68 View Post
I still disagree--if the ordinance you cited governs, my reading of it is that they can give you a ticket in your driveway.
You keep saying that even though every attempt to validate your claim has been swatted down. Your persistence on a false reading of the ordinance does not change the ordinance. And I'm not going to bother fighting it because I fought the last one and was still held liable on account of a "lack of evidence" that it was not parked on the street. (Translation: I didn't have video proof of being issued a ticket while it was actually in my driveway instead of on the street. The revenue agent said it was on the street, therefore it was.)

Old 01-09-2009, 01:21 PM

Lighten up guy. You got a ticket, came here and bitched about it and then you get mad when someone disagrees with you. Really, I didn't intend to pick a fight here--as I said earlier, the same thing happened to me. I was ticked off as well, but the reality was my car was not properly registered and the revenue people caught it. If this is the second time it has happened to you, maybe you should spend the money for the registration (or rent a garage), because I'd guess it will happen again.

(And, I would suggest that "every attempt to validate my claim" has not, in fact, been swatted down, as the authority who issued the ticket seems to agree with my interpretation.)

Old 01-09-2009, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Lighten up guy. You got a ticket, came here and bitched about it and then you get mad when someone disagrees with you. Really, I didn't intend to pick a fight here--as I said earlier, the same thing happened to me. I was ticked off as well, but the reality was my car was not properly registered and the revenue people caught it. If this is the second time it has happened to you, maybe you should spend the money for the registration (or rent a garage), because I'd guess it will happen again.

(And, I would suggest that "every attempt to validate my claim" has not, in fact, been swatted down, as the authority who issued the ticket seems to agree with my interpretation.)
That might have been the reality for you. The reality for me is that my car is not required to be registered and is not in violation of any law or ordinance, least of all the one for which it was cited. Period. And I'm not inclined to sit and listen to someone tell me repeatedly that it is when I know it isn't. So don't give me this crap about how if the ticket was issued, it must be valid and the person who issued it must be correct. If you lived here long enough, you know that's B.S.

If you're not here to pick a fight, then stop fighting.

Old 01-09-2009, 01:34 PM

Quote:
The reality for me is that my car is not required to be registered under the circumstances. Period.
If you are so certain that your car is not required to be registered, then you should fight it. You're right, the City is wrong, and you'll win.

Quote:
So don't give me this crap about how if the ticket was issued, it must be valid and the person who issued it must be correct. If you lived here long enough, you know that's B.S.
I don't believe the city is always right. What I am saying is that you are not the first person to receive a parking ticket under this scenario, which suggests that the ticket was issued under an interpretation of the ordinance consistent with mine. I may be wrong, the revenue department may be wrong. However, once they issue the ticket, the burden is on you to prove they're wrong.

Quote:
If you're not here to pick a fight, then stop fighting

In other words, agree with you.

Old 01-09-2009, 01:39 PM

Quote:
If you are so certain that your car is not required to be registered, then you should fight it. You're right, the City is wrong, and you'll win.
You presume the administrative process is reasonable and fair. I'm here to tell you from personal experience that it's not. It's little more than a formality. I've even been told to pay up with irrefutable photographic evidence of my claim. So I'm no longer naive enough to believe such childish nonsense that if "you're right, the city is wrong, you'll win." I could have taken it to neutral court I suppose, but the filing fee cost more than the ticket. Convenient, huh?

Quote:
I don't believe the city is always right. What I am saying is that you are not the first person to receive a parking ticket under this scenario, which suggests that the ticket was issued under an interpretation of the ordinance consistent with mine. I may be wrong, the revenue department may be wrong. However, once they issue the ticket, the burden is on you to prove they're wrong.
I know all about burden of proof, so you don't need to lecture me on it. All I'm asking is the the city not write obviously bull#*&t tickets that are irrefutable unless you actually catch them red-handed on videotape. I don't think that's too much to ask. You evidently do.

Quote:
In other words, agree with you.
Or, you could just S.T.F.U. already.

Old 01-09-2009, 01:50 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,611,075 times
And we're done.

edit: Drover, if you do decide to fight, let us know the result. It sure does sound like some rotten BS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: