Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 02:47 PM

894 posts, read 2,380,797 times

Advertisements

are those area mixed or are they mostly white or black or hispanic?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2008, 02:52 PM

1,966 posts, read 6,074,173 times
Pretty evenly mixed black/white without really much tension anymore. Not really so many hispanics, but very international in general. The core of Hyde Park (so called "golden rectangle" -- ie "white rectangle" -- from harper to ellis 59th to 55th) is probably 90% white, but outside of that area it is much more balanced. Hyde Park has been this way for so long that I honestly hardly notice who is what color. This is in large part because economic/social class lines cut across race lines, unlike much of the south side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiMack View Post
are those area mixed or are they mostly white or black or hispanic?

Old 12-05-2008, 03:33 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,339,930 times
90% seems too high -- I'd be surprised if it was even 70%.

The lowest economic rung in Hyde Park and Kenwood is pretty high, and not very large. There are many areas of the City that have much poorer residents of every race...

Old 12-05-2008, 03:39 PM

I guess it would be hard to know for sure and I might be wrong, but I'm amazed constantly at how overwhelmingly white it is, not in terms of who hangs out in bixler, near local shops, etc. but who actually lives there. 90% of my friends are in that area and it seems like almost none of their neighbors is black. I could see 80%, but 70% seems a little off.

Whatever the racial breakdown, real estate has gotten pretty damn expensive and is in normal circumstances not so easy to come by in that area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
90% seems too high -- I'd be surprised if it was even 70%.

The lowest economic rung in Hyde Park and Kenwood is pretty high, and not very large. There are many areas of the City that have much poorer residents of every race...

Old 12-05-2008, 06:12 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,180,639 times
Many folks do not know that there is public housing in Hyde Park. And in the 'golden rectangle'.

In the golden area, many of the houses are restricted: the UofC gets the right of first refusal on sale because it helped the current resident to buy the home. So the university controls who becomes a new resident. Is there any surprise that, looking at the Uof C faculty, this area which is the U of C campus is predominantly (but not overwhelmingly) white? Plus, the hospital knocked down a number of the lower priced homes in the rectangle for its expansion.

Old 12-05-2008, 06:15 PM

I'm among those who don't know. Is it those windowless brick townhomes along the south side of 55th between Woodlawn and Dorchester.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
Many folks do not know that there is public housing in Hyde Park. And in the 'golden rectangle'.

Old 12-06-2008, 01:17 AM

668 posts, read 2,357,574 times
Hyde Park seemed pretty mixed. Kenwood seemed mostly black.

And I think I know which housing projects Manigault is talking about. Are they located way on the northern area of Hyde Park?

Old 12-06-2008, 07:27 AM

Manigault was specifically referring to public housing in the 'golden rectangle', which is the surprising part. The northern boundary is 55th. Public housing outside of that area is not surprising at all. I'm vaguely aware of a few places.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banx View Post

And I think I know which housing projects Manigault is talking about. Are they located way on the northern area of Hyde Park?

Old 12-07-2008, 09:36 AM

8,425 posts, read 12,180,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajolotl View Post
I'm among those who don't know. Is it those windowless brick townhomes along the south side of 55th between Woodlawn and Dorchester.

Yes, that is public housing right in the golden rectangle. I think the windows are in interior courtyards. I also think it is senior housing and I bet they don't have many problems from the residents.

Do people realize that Obama is moving to public housing in DC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banx View Post
Actually, au contraire!

Old 12-07-2008, 11:32 AM

668 posts, read 2,357,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
Actually, au contraire!
Uh, no not at all. What kinda weird bizzaro-world southside do u live in? Hyde Park is 37% black and 43% white, and Kenwood is 76% black and 16% white- so I'm not going crazy. And those were my exact observations when visiting some of my old friends and family down on the south side (my friends lived in Hyde Park and went to Kenwood Academy). There were lots of white and black people on the streets in Hyde Park, and almost all black people on the streets Kenwood. You also at one point said Hyde Park is more black now than it ever was, I have trouble believing that too, unless were talking about the 1920's or something. Are you sure were talking about the same neighborhoods?

Last edited by Banx; 12-07-2008 at 11:51 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago