Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 02:32 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,879,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryman3500 View Post
I am thinking about moving to Avondale, around Central Park and Milwaukee, I was wondering if anyone could tell me about this area of Avondale. It looks safe to me but I really wouldn't know... all I know is what I have read on the thread.
Totally depends on the street. I live just north of Diversey & Milwaukee, and haven't had a problem (nor has my wife) in the 8 years we've been there. I walk by there regularly, actually.

But Milwaukee and those NE-SW running diagonal streets can create some very isolated pockets - my guess is if you are fairly close to St Hyancinth's it's OK, and it you'll be on Central Park or Milwaukee that's OK as well. But I'd be wary of one of those little streets that dead ends and thus gets little through traffic.

It's absolutely worth the time investment to go and walk around (or drive if you have to) later on a Fri or Sat night, if that doesn't seem too bad, it's probably OK. But too many people see apartments Sat late mornings or early afternoons, which is a very poor indicator for what the late night can bring...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2010, 02:56 PM

by the way, run, the artists are coming!

Logan Square's Morris B. Sachs Flatiron Building Gets a Face Lift - Chicagoist

Old 01-12-2010, 03:08 PM

1,912 posts, read 5,445,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
Oh jeez, and just as I'm moving back to the 'hood.

Old 01-12-2010, 03:31 PM

3 posts, read 8,716 times
Quote:
Totally depends on the street. I live just north of Diversey & Milwaukee, and haven't had a problem (nor has my wife) in the 8 years we've been there. I walk by there regularly, actually.

But Milwaukee and those NE-SW running diagonal streets can create some very isolated pockets - my guess is if you are fairly close to St Hyancinth's it's OK, and it you'll be on Central Park or Milwaukee that's OK as well. But I'd be wary of one of those little streets that dead ends and thus gets little through traffic.

It's absolutely worth the time investment to go and walk around (or drive if you have to) later on a Fri or Sat night, if that doesn't seem too bad, it's probably OK. But too many people see apartments Sat late mornings or early afternoons, which is a very poor indicator for what the late night can bring...
hmm... that sounds good. Me and my roommate are going to check out the place Thursday afternoon. on another relatednote, I read that it is not that safe around the Belmont blue line stop. Is that still true?

Old 01-12-2010, 04:03 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,211,251 times
Quote:

Agreed. We took our daughter to a home daycare just a little south of there for a few years and the area seemed fine. The daycare provider had lived there for 25 years and raised 4 kids, she really liked the area.

Quote:
This is a really good idea. Unfortunately right now is not the best time of year to check out a neighborhood. An area that may seem fine on a Saturday night in January may be very different in the summer. I'd also try to check out the area on the warmest possible night you can. That said, if it is in area that gets a lot of traffic it should be fine.

Old 07-19-2011, 11:19 AM

3 posts, read 4,765 times
I am looking at Logan Square because it seems like a place where one can buy a reasonably priced house in Chicago. What is the deal with Diversey? Is it the border between good and bad neighborhoods. Is it decent between certain streets? I don't want to insult people living there now, but any help would be appreciated. I have been living in Lakeview East and renting for the last few years and now looking at buying a house, which means no more Lakeview.

Old 07-19-2011, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattwisconsin View Post
I am looking at Logan Square because it seems like a place where one can buy a reasonably priced house in Chicago. What is the deal with Diversey? Is it the border between good and bad neighborhoods. Is it decent between certain streets? I don't want to insult people living there now, but any help would be appreciated. I have been living in Lakeview East and renting for the last few years and now looking at buying a house, which means no more Lakeview.
Diversey isn't really a meaningful border, the east-west street might be. Depending who you talk to, it's either Kimball or Central Park where Logan/Avondale get dicey.

Me, I'm cool all the way to Pulaski!

You might want to try Avondale, from Diversey to Addison and between California and Kimball if you're in Lakeview East. A lot of people (like myself) have done exactly what you're thinking of, going west for more bang for your buck.

Old 07-19-2011, 12:34 PM

Thanks for the response. Does E or W of 90/94 make a difference? Or is it better in the north or south of Avondale?<br>

Old 07-19-2011, 12:39 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattwisconsin View Post
Thanks for the response. Does E or W of 90/94 make a difference? Or is it better in the north or south of Avondale?<br>
Where Avondale is concerned, northeast of the expressway tends to be nicer than southwest of it. For Logan Square, northeast of Milwaukee Avenue tends to be nicer than southwest.

Old 07-19-2011, 12:45 PM

Thanks again.<br><br>
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago