Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2008, 11:25 AM

5 posts, read 30,977 times

Advertisements

yeah that was 4 blocks from my house. awesome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2008, 08:49 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBetty00 View Post
yeah that was 4 blocks from my house. awesome.
I hope you can get out soon. You seem like too nice and intelligent of a person to have to deal with that crap.

Be safe.

Old 11-26-2008, 09:14 AM

1 posts, read 7,099 times
The CAPS meetings for BEAT 1411 are always held at Resurrection Churchlocated at 3045 N. Francisco on the 3rd Monday @ 7pm @ Resurrection Church. You can contact the CAPS office directly to confirm meeting date and time. The phone number for the 14th District CAPS office is 312-744-1261.Attending CAPS meetings offers the opportunity to develop a relationship with the BEATofficers and other residents with the courage to participate in protecting their community.

Old 11-30-2008, 10:35 PM

214 posts, read 757,871 times
oh yikes i don't like this post at all..

i live near the corner gresham and milwaukee.. we're practically neighbors and i walk home from that stop all the time too.

the chicago welcoming committee got my roommate in pilsen a week after our move here [last month] so i've been keeping my finger on the trigger of my pepper spray anyway during my walks home.. but i'll be extra cautious not to forget now.

Old 12-01-2008, 09:44 AM

8 posts, read 14,727 times
I'd be more worried about mid-day break-ins. My apartment was burglarized twice! I lived near Diversey and California, and apparently I was not the only one. Luckily, the second time it happened (because my landlord wouldn't let me out of my lease) I had renter's insurance. I highly suggest it to those who don't have it. Its pretty cheap too. Maybe around $10-12 a month. (Farmer's Insurance is what I have, and they replaced EVERYTHING.)

Old 12-01-2008, 09:51 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,623,677 times
Swoops you are so right. Not having renter's insurance is literally the stupidest thing you can do. It is so cheap there is NO excuse!

Old 12-01-2008, 10:13 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,792,528 times
I know we get crap for this advice, but newcomers to the city should not live in neighborhoods like Avondale and Pilsen. They aren't the worse neighborhoods in the city by any means, but you do need a decent dose of city smarts (or perhaps "Chicago smarts") to know the blocks to avoid and the proper urban safety measures. Newcomers to Chicago should start in nicer neighborhoods, then branch out to places like Avondale and Pilsen after they've lived in Chicago for a while and know what they are getting into.

Old 12-01-2008, 11:28 AM

1,953 posts, read 4,960,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
I know we get crap for this advice, but newcomers to the city should not live in neighborhoods like Avondale and Pilsen. They aren't the worse neighborhoods in the city by any means, but you do need a decent dose of city smarts (or perhaps "Chicago smarts") to know the blocks to avoid and the proper urban safety measures. Newcomers to Chicago should start in nicer neighborhoods, then branch out to places like Avondale and Pilsen after they've lived in Chicago for a while and know what they are getting into.
That is an excellent point.

But its not really even new comers its more people with common sense. My girlfriend has been living in the city of 5 or 6 years and then she still walks through very sketchy neighborhoods at night to go out and Ive witnessed her counting her money which consisted of about $200 while we were outside the United Center waiting for a bus while everyone was watching her.

Some people just need to witness something bad happend to actually wake up.

Old 12-01-2008, 01:29 PM

214 posts, read 757,871 times
i dont understand it. on the chicago police departments crime data thing it shows avondale as a very pale color, which should mean its a pretty safe community. what gives?

Old 12-01-2008, 01:49 PM

2,242 posts, read 6,240,558 times
Because compared to others, it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago