Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 05:19 PM

147 posts, read 212,250 times

Advertisements

You know what I find really interesting? how people have a negative view of people with section 8 vouchers, yet they're perfectly willing to rent to an illegal alien. These people are the real problem. Yes they may not be "LOUD" and they may pay thier rent on time, but believe me they cost you more in the longrun..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2009, 05:25 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,666,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
I think it's actually illegal to discriminate against so-called "Section 8" vouchers, but local zoning may place limits on your ability to make profit on a property. The only way to avoid renters with vouchers is to charge high rents, which Evergreen Park may not command.
You actually don't have to participate in the Section 8 program. It is acceptable for a landlord to say "We do not participate with Section 8". Compliance is not mandatory.

Old 03-04-2009, 08:39 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,636,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
You actually don't have to participate in the Section 8 program. It is acceptable for a landlord to say "We do not participate with Section 8". Compliance is not mandatory.
Not if you have a certain number of apartments in the building... I believe it is 10 or more or something...(Chicago law)

Old 03-04-2009, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Not if you have a certain number of apartments in the building... I believe it is 10 or more or something...(Chicago law)
Section 8 isn't a state program, it's federal. With respect to the number of units in a building, that sounds like it has more to do with "affordable housing", which isn't necessarily Section 8.

Old 03-04-2009, 11:24 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,636,074 times
Quote:
Section 8 isn't a state program, it's federal. With respect to the number of units in a building, that sounds like it has more to do with "affordable housing", which isn't necessarily Section 8.
When did I say Section 8 was a state program?

Yes, Chicago has an affordable housing law and most of the time to comply a landlord will have to accept Section 8.

Old 03-04-2009, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
When did I say Section 8 was a state program?

Yes, Chicago has an affordable housing law and most of the time to comply a landlord will have to accept Section 8.
I'm really not sure what the requirements are-- property law is far away from my area of practice-- but rarely can the state force you to participate in a voluntary federal program.

Again, who knows. I see what you're saying with respect to the fact that in order to comply with state laws to provide affordable housing, Section 8 might be the only way to meet it, but that seems sketchy to me.

Old 03-13-2009, 08:56 PM

1 posts, read 4,421 times
The market is already down please don't make it worse with these kind of suggestions. If people don't want to rent to people with section 8 believe me it is always their loss not the voucher holder's, because what one won't take believe me another will.

Old 04-21-2009, 05:54 PM

425 posts, read 1,437,677 times
Quote:
I'm really not sure what the requirements are-- property law is far away from my area of practice-- but rarely can the state force you to participate in a voluntary federal program.

Again, who knows. I see what you're saying with respect to the fact that in order to comply with state laws to provide affordable housing, Section 8 might be the only way to meet it, but that seems sketchy to me.
The reason you have to accept Section 8 vouchers is a fair housing issue; while the federal fair housing law only describes six protected classes, the law leaves it open for states and cities to add additional ones as needed. Chicago has added the class "people with Section 8 vouchers." So therefore the law applies to any landlord renting more than 4 units (I think, it could be 6).

Old 04-21-2009, 10:53 PM

1,966 posts, read 6,079,974 times
Yes, I have learned that in a shaky neighborhood what you want is unsubsidized owner-occupied SFH with owners who can afford to take care of the homes. Race has nothing directly to do with it. If homes start being converted to multi-flats or rented as-is to Section 8 tenants, things can get ugly quickly. When a property changes hands all I look for is a family to buy it, live in it, and take care of the property. Anyone who can pay the 400-600K that homes on my block go for is likely to be a pretty normal, hardworking person with a decent job. I couldn't care less about their race in that case.

Old 04-22-2009, 08:59 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,811,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajolotl View Post
Yes, I have learned that in a shaky neighborhood what you want is unsubsidized owner-occupied SFH with owners who can afford to take care of the homes. Race has nothing directly to do with it. If homes start being converted to multi-flats or rented as-is to Section 8 tenants, things can get ugly quickly. When a property changes hands all I look for is a family to buy it, live in it, and take care of the property. Anyone who can pay the 400-600K that homes on my block go for is likely to be a pretty normal, hardworking person with a decent job. I couldn't care less about their race in that case.
I absolutely agree.

We live in a city with neighborhoods that reflect the economic inequities of living in America. There are rich neighborhoods, middle-class neighborhoods, working-class neighborhoods, and poor neighborhoods. At one time--before the abaonment that occured because of the massive post-war suburban expansion--the South Side had a much better mix of income levels, and the last fifty years have seen the balance shift much more towards poverty. Beverly has existed as a long time as an enclave of prosperity on the South Side, and has managed to stay quite nice as the surrounding neighborhoods have deteriorated. Why should the residents there just let the neighborhood slide into poverty and despair?

People on the far left on housing issues are completely ridiculous. They are perfectly alright with letting upper-income neighborhoods crumble into ****, but get all up in arms when upper-income people move into poor neighborhoods. The common language used to describe these phenomenon are also biased against the white middle or upper class (one is "white flight", and the other is "gentrification"). With both terms, the blame is placed squarely on the middle and upper class (with a racial overtones thrown in for good measure). If we let them have their way, the entire city would be void of money and investment, and would resemble Detroit or Gary.

This is a large city where neighborhood change is a part of life. Change happens fast, and has been happening since the birth of the city. Some neighborhoods are on the rise, while others are on the decline. I will agree that we have a need for more "affordable housing" when we're not living in a city with such a large percentage of people in poverty. For now, I think we have TOO MUCH affordable housing in the city of Chicago. Perhaps we should focus more on helping people improve their own lives instead of just warehousing the poor in vast ghettos with no opportunities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago