Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 01:27 PM

1,966 posts, read 6,076,182 times

Advertisements

I see. I guess then the question is if there are any rules against carving a house into several rental units, which would be the obvious way to bring the price down but still make money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthera View Post
a condo association may have rules against renting, many have rules about numbers of occupants, deposits, etc.

Its possible that your neighbors could rent to section 8, but they payments are not what would usually rent a SFH. The run more to the apartment price range.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2008, 11:18 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,789,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajolotl View Post
I see. I guess then the question is if there are any rules against carving a house into several rental units, which would be the obvious way to bring the price down but still make money.
This would be dictated by zoning. Most suburban zoning codes have strict controls over this type of thing. They clearly spell out single-family vs. multi-family and the number of units allowed, etc. It's illegal to convert single-family to multi-family in most suburban neighborhoods.

Old 10-15-2008, 11:30 AM

thanks. that's good news, though of course this is the city not suburbs. Is the same true in the city?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
This would be dictated by zoning. Most suburban zoning codes have strict controls over this type of thing. They clearly spell out single-family vs. multi-family and the number of units allowed, etc. It's illegal to convert single-family to multi-family in most suburban neighborhoods.

Old 10-15-2008, 11:44 AM

968 posts, read 2,665,690 times
This practice was prevalent in certain South Side areas in the 1930s- 1950s ...larger homes were carved up to create 6-10 'apartments' with minimal regard to existing code and zoning .. This was in response to the second wave of African American Migration to the city, and in response to the housing shortage after WWII ..it was illegal then, and is illegal now .. difference is back then , Building code and zoning violations weren't enforced in certain areas ..

Old 10-15-2008, 07:22 PM

132 posts, read 528,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humboldt1 View Post
Section 8 renter is essentially a code word for poor black in Chicago for many people, not me. Can someone please post the stats for racial breakdown of Section 8 renters?
This company CHAC operates the housing voucher program in Chicago. There are many housing authorities in the metro area, but I think Cook County has just a few: Chicago, Oak Park, Evanston, Cicero, and the rest of the county is under Cook County Housing Authority.

On CHAC's website, their Progress Report document says that in 2006, there were 36,000 families with housing vouchers in Chicago. 96k people with an average household size of 2.8 people. 35% of these families received income from employment. 43% lived in neighborhoods classified as "low-poverty". For the heads of household, about 3% were non-Hispanic whites. 11% were Hispanic, and 86% were black. The average subsidy per unit was $733. Average family income was 11k, and they paid $200 in rent on average. 12k of the households had a disabled head of household. 5,600 households were headed by an elderly person. 20k households were families with children.

So almost half of Section 8 voucher holding families were headed by either an elderly or disabled person, and only about 55% of families had children. So really, a lot of the section 8 stereotype is just that - a stereotype. The ones who behave badly are the ones who get noticed, so people assume that all section 8 renters are the same. But if you're renting a house, you're much more likely to get bad tenants than you would if you were renting a studio, as you'll be renting to poor families with children rather than a single elderly or disabled person. The multi person households are going to be renting larger places, which means they're also much more likely to have other people living with them unofficially, including criminals (against the rules)

Old 10-15-2008, 08:27 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,609,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoylekim View Post
This practice was prevalent in certain South Side areas in the 1930s- 1950s ...larger homes were carved up to create 6-10 'apartments' with minimal regard to existing code and zoning .. This was in response to the second wave of African American Migration to the city, and in response to the housing shortage after WWII ..it was illegal then, and is illegal now .. difference is back then , Building code and zoning violations weren't enforced in certain areas ..
This was/is widespread in Uptown,Edgewater,and Lake View as well. There are quite a few buildings that still are carved up. They are legal today, because they were grandfathered in.

Old 10-15-2008, 09:34 PM

2,418 posts, read 6,255,289 times
Quote:
I had meant to DM you about this whole thing. I know you're speaking of your friend in this particular thread/situation, but as I was perusing Craigslist for apartments/housing in Beverly, I saw a few ads mentioning Sec8 welcomed- rent a SFH. I found this to be pretty interesting, especially in this neighborhood.

But, you said this is already happening in East Beverly?

Old 10-15-2008, 10:11 PM

The far eastern side of Beverly is a little rough in parts, particularly some parts of Charles and Church -- there are multi-family units, section 8, etc. a little of everything (I know it to be rough from the police commander, not simply because there are multi-units, etc.). The Ridge Historic District (from Prospect west) is in very good shape overall. I wasn't clear in the original post but I was mainly interested in knowing what kind of protection there was against an influx of section 8 renters in the heart of east beverly (not eastern fringes). These south side neighborhoods are not as resilient as on the north side, so one has to err on the paranoid side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManheimMadman View Post
I had meant to DM you about this whole thing. I know you're speaking of your friend in this particular thread/situation, but as I was perusing Craigslist for apartments/housing in Beverly, I saw a few ads mentioning Sec8 welcomed- rent a SFH. I found this to be pretty interesting, especially in this neighborhood.

But, you said this is already happening in East Beverly?

Old 10-15-2008, 10:37 PM

2,418 posts, read 6,255,289 times
Quote:
The far eastern side of Beverly is a little rough in parts, particularly some parts of Charles and Church -- there are multi-family units, section 8, etc. a little of everything (I know it to be rough from the police commander, not simply because there are multi-units, etc.). The Ridge Historic District (from Prospect west) is in very good shape overall. I wasn't clear in the original post but I was mainly interested in knowing what kind of protection there was against an influx of section 8 renters in the heart of east beverly (not eastern fringes). These south side neighborhoods are not as resilient as on the north side, so one has to err on the paranoid side.
I hear you, for sure. It would be a shame for such a historic, beautiful neighborhood to be ruined.

Old 10-16-2008, 08:51 AM

2 posts, read 10,320 times
Default Section 8 rules are stricter now

Quote:
interesting. the Section 8 family that lived below me in Evanston many years back was a mixed white/mexican couple. He drank all day and beat her. The kids ran free and had horrible manners. The mother addressed the kids as 'bastard' (in spanish with a horrible accent), not even sure what their names were. It was a six-flat and they completely ruined an otherwise very good building in a cool spot. My friend in Evergreen Park is having trouble with a Mexican family. I guess it's hard to generalize.
What happened many years ago is no longer true. The rules are stricter now and inspections are made yearly.

I am a college graduate white woman who after working 35 years was disabled by a 16 year old who drove through a stop sign (I was the 3rd person she hurt in the 6 months she had her license). From the age of 16, I worked while going to high school and then college. I never married. I don't drink, do drugs, or make any noise. My choice is Section 8 voucher or death.

I have had every penny of my security deposits returned to me when I have moved. Every one of my landlords say that they will rent to Section 8 clients again, because they had such a good experience with me and with Section 8 paying on time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago