Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2009, 04:08 PM

425 posts, read 1,437,530 times

Advertisements

Isn't the CTA managed by the state government? Or is it just the state govt that gives them their money?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2009, 04:21 PM

72 posts, read 167,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottl333 View Post
Well maybe but the sad thing about it the transit system in chicago has been in trouble for years when those transits were not. the fact of the matter is that there is heavy mismanagement of funds in the cta system. this is not just a cta issue. this is a CHICAGO issue. everything in chicago is mismanaged and the residents of chicago, and outlying communities, are suffering.
Well the CTA is a 19th century system trying to compete in the 21st century. It's really big, but the routes don't make any sense these days, and most of the train lines have fairly low ridership. The odds are against it. Without substantial economic development of the areas the extant lines serve (do they still require 50% of funds to come from ticket sales?) and some gigantic and expensive construction projects, I'm skeptical how far it can get. What do you mean mismanagement of funds? I'm admittedly not all that familiar with how the CTA is funded, or where the money has gone compared to where it should have gone, but I'd love to know.

Old 03-11-2009, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hank0604 View Post
Isn't the CTA managed by the state government? Or is it just the state govt that gives them their money?
I think the state just helps pay for some of it.

Old 03-11-2009, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
ooh, let's have a BAKE SALE!! I'll bring the brownies!!
Thats a good attitude. See, my gut instinct whenever this happens is to tax the $#%@ out of automobile commuters. I guess it would probably be a waste of time for me to run for Governor...

Old 03-11-2009, 05:08 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,323,169 times
Anyone else catch this front-page story in the Sun-Times the other day?

CTA's bad gas bet (http://www.suntimes.com/news/transportation/1466855,CST-NWS-ride09.article - broken link)

Old 03-11-2009, 08:42 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,632,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
Anyone else catch this front-page story in the Sun-Times the other day?

CTA's bad gas bet (http://www.suntimes.com/news/transportation/1466855,CST-NWS-ride09.article - broken link)
Excellent eyes.

This issue has flown past most of the people in the city without debate or comment.

Old 03-11-2009, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
This issue has flown past most of the people in the city without debate or comment.
But I don't know what to comment other than "that sucks."

I feel like the Sun Times is trying to sensationalize it. It makes good news I guess.

Did they really print this in all caps?
"THEY LOCKED IN A PRICE OF $3.80 A GALLON -- FOR A YEAR.

THAT SAME GALLON OF DIESEL NOW COSTS ABOUT $2.29"

Old 03-12-2009, 06:38 AM

3,631 posts, read 10,238,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thiqued View Post
But I don't know what to comment other than "that sucks."

I feel like the Sun Times is trying to sensationalize it. It makes good news I guess.

Did they really print this in all caps?
"THEY LOCKED IN A PRICE OF $3.80 A GALLON -- FOR A YEAR.

THAT SAME GALLON OF DIESEL NOW COSTS ABOUT $2.29"
that's how i feel about it.
they made a bad bet. that's really all it is.
i'm sure they can only hope the price gets ridiculous again this summer.

it's like some of the 'burbs paying more for salt than the city because the city locked it in at a lower price than the 'burbs did.

Old 03-12-2009, 07:32 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,808,416 times
A lot of the problem with the CTA budget is due to union contracts and pensions. I don't blame unions for helping their members achieve living wages and benefits, but it is the primary item in the operating budget.

Old 03-12-2009, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
A lot of the problem with the CTA budget is due to union contracts and pensions. I don't blame unions for helping their members achieve living wages and benefits, but it is the primary item in the operating budget.
Interesting. Do you know about what percentage of their budget this is?

On a related note, did anyone see this one?
How to Fix Transit Financing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago