Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 06:15 PM

17 posts, read 57,992 times

Advertisements

Its nice that we all pay while i sat next to a senior with a free card with a bag thats worth more then i make a week and a diamond ring on that would pay off all my student loans. I don't mind paying more for people who need it but this is messed up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2008, 07:57 PM

3,631 posts, read 10,237,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movinghelp23 View Post
Its nice that we all pay while i sat next to a senior with a free card with a bag thats worth more then i make a week and a diamond ring on that would pay off all my student loans. I don't mind paying more for people who need it but this is messed up.
be sure to direct your complaints about that topic right here:

Rod J. Blagojevich
Office of the Governor
207 State House
Springfield, IL 62706
Phone: 217-782-0244 or 312-814-2121
TTY: 888-261-3336

not that he listens to anybody.

Old 11-13-2008, 11:49 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,209,063 times
^ I would almost call him an amazing man.

Very few people can sit with an approval rate of.....FOUR.....percent, according to recent polls, and act like everything is going wonderful.

He's nationally rated as the worst governor in the entire country, and he has the honor of having the lower approval rating of an elected official...ever.

How can he be so warped?? Why doesn't he just stand down?

Old 11-13-2008, 11:55 AM

1,953 posts, read 4,962,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernerdgirl View Post
be sure to direct your complaints about that topic right here:

Rod J. Blagojevich
Office of the Governor
207 State House
Springfield, IL 62706
Phone: 217-782-0244 or 312-814-2121
TTY: 888-261-3336

not that he listens to anybody.
I was reading something somewhere that he considered that one of his great big accomplishments. They should really take the senior free rides off and give free rides to low income people or something like that. I dont see it being that hard to qualify someone as low income.

Old 11-13-2008, 12:53 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,268,404 times
Quote:
I am curious why they need to raise fares when they are getting increased funds from growing ridership over the last few years as well as money from the sales and real estate transfer taxes for operating expenses. Maybe someone should look into that.
Glad to see fares increasing. My suburban Cook Co. taxes were raised to help fund Public Transportation and user funding is certainly still lacking from what I've read. Now, I do agree it will never be fully user funded and there is a social benefit, but nice to see this instead of another tax increase.
Jesse69- Man you are one brave dude; I'd be intimidated riding Chicago streets during rush hour. Your location states Houston so I guess Chicago is a cake walk compared to what it is in H-town. Be careful of the winter snows in Chicago, your bike have 4 wheel drive?
Regarding Blago and free rides; those are the 20 odd% that still give him favorable approval ratings.

Old 11-13-2008, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
^ I would almost call him an amazing man.

Very few people can sit with an approval rate of.....FOUR.....percent, according to recent polls, and act like everything is going wonderful.

He's nationally rated as the worst governor in the entire country, and he has the honor of having the lower approval rating of an elected official...ever.

How can he be so warped?? Why doesn't he just stand down?
four? FOUR? are you serious?

a couple weeks ago it was 13%.

i think he's delusional. he constantly says he's a good governor.

Quote:
Glad to see fares increasing. My suburban Cook Co. taxes were raised to help fund Public Transportation and user funding is certainly still lacking from what I've read. Now, I do agree it will never be fully user funded and there is a social benefit, but nice to see this instead of another tax increase.
the portion of the new 0.25% sales tax that went in this year that is collected by the collar counties is NOT paying for the CTA:

"$121.3 million from additional 0.25% sales tax increase in the Collar Counties, for the Collar Counties to use at their discretion for local road, transit and public safety projects.

Tax imposed by RTA ordinance, collected by Department of Revenue, and allocated directly to the counties based on point of sale."

http://movingbeyondcongestion.org/downloads/01-28-08__Mass%20Transit%20Funding%20and%20Reform.pdf (broken link)

Old 11-14-2008, 01:32 AM

15,586 posts, read 27,626,711 times
These clowns are robbing us all blind. The CTA has been wasting money for decades and will continue to do so until people stand up to them.

Old 11-14-2008, 06:38 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,090,455 times
Blago doesn't listen to anyone. I've called and emailed him a few times over the CTA issue and never received an acknowledgment that my message was received. At least when I've contacted my alderman (over an unrelated issue, I know where he stands when it comes to the CTA), I get a form letter back.

Old 11-14-2008, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supernerdgirl View Post
my prediction is that they will vote for it, with the woman that Blago appointed giving dirty looks to Huberman, cute little smiles to the cameras, and potentially voting no.
ahh i was right, i was right!!!
City Roomâ„¢ - News In Brief - Blagojevich Appointment Casts Only Vote Against CTA Fare Hike (http://www.chicagopublicradio.org/Content.aspx?audioID=30190 - broken link)

i wish i would have heard all the other fantastic Blago spin she had to say.
i'm sure she didn't have any sort of viable solution.

Old 11-14-2008, 10:42 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,268,404 times
Quote:
the portion of the new 0.25% sales tax that went in this year that is collected by the collar counties is NOT paying for the CTA:

"$121.3 million from additional 0.25% sales tax increase in the Collar Counties, for the Collar Counties to use at their discretion for local road, transit and public safety projects.

Tax imposed by RTA ordinance, collected by Department of Revenue, and allocated directly to the counties based on point of sale."

http://movingbeyondcongestion.org/do...d%20Reform.pdf
For accuracy, didn't the PDF you attach state 132M for CTA projects? So how is my Cook Co. sales tax increase NOT going to CTA? Did I read with my typical short attention span and miss something?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago