Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2010, 12:12 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,215,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Mine is this: I think there may have been some "job action" during the first few days, because after that it hasn't really affected my daily commute much whether I take the Blue line or combination bus/Brown line (depending on whether I'm going to school or to my internship).

BUT:

1) Trying to get around during the evening/night SUCKS, especially if you have to take a bus. A couple weekends ago I waited 25 minutes for a bus and then another 25 for a train. I probably could have walked home in the time it took me to finally get there. Lately if cab fare doesn't fit into the evening's budget, I seriously contemplate changing my plans, including possibly not going out.

2) After a few months of steady improvement, bus-bunching seems to have gotten worse again. I don't know if this has anything to do with the service cuts, or maybe it's my imagination. But it seems to have become an issue again.
Amen. My rush hour commute hasn't changed at all. In fact I normally forget that they even made any changes.

.....until I try to take the bus after 6-7pm. The past few nights I've waited 15 minutes for the Broadway bus up on Buena. I normally would never have to wait more than 5-7 minutes. Then when it comes it's PACKED. I was in Bridgeport last Friday at 2pm and my bus tracker (thank god that exists) on my phone said it was 21 minutes for the next Halsted bus. I just walked the 7 blocks, but if I didn't have the bus tracker I would have sat there steaming from the ears.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2010, 04:27 PM

20 posts, read 43,936 times
Does anyone think a reduction of the number of stops would be considered to improve the bunching situation? I ride the Chicago 66 bus every day and I am dumbfounded by the number of people who get on the bus only to get off one or two blocks later.

Old 07-23-2010, 04:33 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,636,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outofmyelement View Post
Does anyone think a reduction of the number of stops would be considered to improve the bunching situation...
But of course. However, the "minds" at the CTA have trouble comprehending simple solutions.

Old 07-23-2010, 04:35 PM

20 posts, read 43,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
But of course. However, the "minds" at the CTA have trouble comprehending simple solutions.
I know it is infuriatingly simple, I was just wondering if there was an actual reason they won't do it (i.e. ADA compliance or somesuch.) If it is really just oversight, .....

Old 07-23-2010, 06:40 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,233,018 times
Quote:
Does anyone think a reduction of the number of stops would be considered to improve the bunching situation? I ride the Chicago 66 bus every day and I am dumbfounded by the number of people who get on the bus only to get off one or two blocks later.
I have long complained on the sheer stupidity of having a stop at every block, or sometimes half a block. Does the Irving Park line really need a stop at Hermitage, then Ravenswood, then the Brown Line, then Wolcott, then Damen? That's five stops within 1/4th of a mile. They could easily get rid of the Ravenswood and Wolcott stops for sure. And just in general there doesn't need to be a stop at every single numbered block. Every other block will suffice. Certainly they can make an exception for elderly or handicapped. They should be able to flag down buses from any corner. Other than that... this "a stop at every block" crap needs to go.

Old 07-23-2010, 06:52 PM

Quote:
I have long complained on the sheer stupidity of having a stop at every block, or sometimes half a block. Does the Irving Park line really need a stop at Hermitage, then Ravenswood, then the Brown Line, then Wolcott, then Damen? That's five stops within 1/4th of a mile...
Part of the reason there are so many stops is because the CTA still runs many of its routes like it is 1930 or 1950.

There used to be a Metra station (well at least a stop for whatever that line was called before Metra was formed) near Irving Park and Ravenswood. I think that is one reason there is a stop there.

Old 07-23-2010, 09:06 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,324,206 times
Quote:
I have long complained on the sheer stupidity of having a stop at every block, or sometimes half a block. Does the Irving Park line really need a stop at Hermitage, then Ravenswood, then the Brown Line, then Wolcott, then Damen? That's five stops within 1/4th of a mile. They could easily get rid of the Ravenswood and Wolcott stops for sure. And just in general there doesn't need to be a stop at every single numbered block. Every other block will suffice. Certainly they can make an exception for elderly or handicapped. They should be able to flag down buses from any corner. Other than that... this "a stop at every block" crap needs to go.
I'm still trying to figure out why the Irving Park bus has to stop at Keystone when there are stops very close by in either direction, at Pulaski and again at the Blue Line. Even when they used to run the Express bus, it stopped at all three, which never made any sense to me.

Old 07-23-2010, 09:08 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,324,206 times
Quote:
I know it is infuriatingly simple, I was just wondering if there was an actual reason they won't do it (i.e. ADA compliance or somesuch.) If it is really just oversight, .....
I don't think ADA has anything to do with it. In Cleveland, for example, buses only stop every two to three blocks, and that seems to work fine.

Old 07-23-2010, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
I'm still trying to figure out why the Irving Park bus has to stop at Keystone when there are stops very close by in either direction, at Pulaski and again at the Blue Line. Even when they used to run the Express bus, it stopped at all three, which never made any sense to me.
For westbound buses it is so people can cross the street to get to the main entrance (on the south side of Irving Park) of the CTA station and to the (south of Irving Park) Metra station safely. Go walk over just west of the expressway and east of the Metra tracks and you will see why.

Eastbound Irving Park buses do not stop at Keystone.

Last edited by Avengerfire; 07-23-2010 at 09:21 PM..

Old 07-23-2010, 09:44 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,112,824 times
Amen. You can't tell me the majority of riders wouldn't approve of reducing the number of stops. My guess is those who might throw a fuss at walking an extra block or two at first would quickly get over it after enjoying a faster, smoother trip for a few weeks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago