Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 08:41 AM

142 posts, read 429,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by At1WithNature View Post
I have never once had a bum/panhandler block my way or jump in front of me like many have mentioned here. Maybe they do that to more experienced people with higher paying jobs. I'm in my mid 20's, white, dress in designer clothes, but I've never been harassed like that. They seem to leave me alone. the only thing i can think of is my iPOD! maybe that saves me from a lot of unwanted trouble.
I'm glad someone else has this experience too. I am white, mid 20s, dress business casual, don't listen to an ipod or talk on a cell phone very much, and have NEVER had a homeless person get in my way, follow me, etc. And I walk at least a mile a day through all parts of the Loop and Streeterville. Maybe I just look like an a-hole so they don't try.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2008, 09:01 AM

3,047 posts, read 9,073,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJT83 View Post
I'm glad someone else has this experience too. I am white, mid 20s, dress business casual, don't listen to an ipod or talk on a cell phone very much, and have NEVER had a homeless person get in my way, follow me, etc. And I walk at least a mile a day through all parts of the Loop and Streeterville. Maybe I just look like an a-hole so they don't try.

LOL...that's probably the case for me too.

Old 08-29-2008, 09:51 AM

21 posts, read 44,701 times
Quote:
This could probably be its own thread, but here are my two favorite homeless signs ever (both seen in Denver, where the homeless problem seems WAY worse than here):

"Savin' for a hooker"
"Ninjas killed my family. Need money for kung fu lessons."

Hillarious...it may be wrong of me, but I usually only give change to a panhandler that has a creative and/or interesting sign...I vote for the Ninja one.

Old 08-29-2008, 10:00 AM

725 posts, read 1,860,391 times
Quote:
This could probably be its own thread, but here are my two favorite homeless signs ever (both seen in Denver, where the homeless problem seems WAY worse than here):

"Savin' for a hooker"
"Ninjas killed my family. Need money for kung fu lessons."

See, I might give them a quarter just for creativity, lol.

I pass this one woman evry day who has a sad sign, though. "I am not a bad girl, I just made bad decisions." She always hunches behind her sign and I feel so sorry for her.

I love it when I see people with signs that say things like, "Stranded in Chicago, need a bus ticket to get home to Seattle."

Old 08-29-2008, 10:04 AM

3,047 posts, read 9,073,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Costa Rica Chica View Post
See, I might give them a quarter just for creativity, lol.

I pass this one woman evry day who has a sad sign, though. "I am not a bad girl, I just made bad decisions." She always hunches behind her sign and I feel so sorry for her.

I love it when I see people with signs that say things like, "Stranded in Chicago, need a bus ticket to get home to Seattle."
I know exactly who you are talking about, I pass her every day too. She's on Randolph right by the Wicked Theater sitting on the ground outside of Borders. some days she has tears running down her face...she needs help from a church or another group, not simply loose change from the average person walking down the street. I don't think giving her a quarter or a dollar will help her out in the long run. she needs the support of professionals.

Old 08-29-2008, 10:21 AM

725 posts, read 1,860,391 times
Yup, that's her. I feel so sorry for her.

Old 08-29-2008, 03:08 PM

3,100 posts, read 3,320,802 times
Quote:
They tend to know who will be more of a sucker and who won't. I'm a black dude that dresses somewhat corporate casual and somewhat on the hip-hop tip on other days, they don't even pull that crap with me...they know the deal.

Old 08-29-2008, 05:32 PM

71 posts, read 195,925 times
Default its time to move Pacific Garden Mission

i think its time to move the Pacific Garden Mission to another part of town like riverdale or englewood or maybe to another town like Gary Indiana

Old 08-29-2008, 05:37 PM

8,455 posts, read 12,267,550 times
It has been moved. Its over on Canal south of Roosevelt. I donate stuff over there all the time... but I don't give money to folks on the street.

Never been harrassed by a panhandler but I'm big and stern.

Old 08-29-2008, 07:07 PM

56 posts, read 190,880 times
Default yup yup

I was harassed by homeless people when I was in high school and I was with a bunch of my friends. (Admittedly, we were rich white suburban kids out for a night-on-the-town and were, in retrospect, easy prey).
One of the things I heard was that a lot of the homeless people in Chicago are escapees from "group housing" for the mentally ill. Regardless of whether or not this is fact... mental illness is certainly more common among the homeless population and it has stopped me cold from giving ANY money to vagrants!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago