Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 11:28 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,817,868 times

Advertisements

My rule is to NEVER GIVE ANYTHING to a homeless person on the street. In addition to the risk of interacting with a stranger on the street, many social workers argue that just giving food or money to homeless people just enables them to continute their destructive lifestyle, and prevents them from getting the assistance they really need to turn their lives around. Food and shelter is readily available to the homeless in Chicago, but often times it requires that they act like civil people, take their meds, or get counciling for drug or alcohol abuse.

If you really do want to help, volunteer for an organization that is doing something to help homeless people or working to end homelessness. And make sure they are well-run and are good neighbors to their surrounding community! As an Uptown resident, I am well aware that some shelters and "charities" are poorly managed hell-holes that are a scourge on the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2008, 11:31 AM

115 posts, read 310,244 times
We all have to remember that addiction and mental illness play a huge part in a person choosing to be homeless. Homeless people don't want food or a job, they want money. I hate when they have dogs with them. I hate to admit it, but I will usually roll my window down for the dog's sake.
A few years ago in Dallas, I took my young daughters into a Walgreens bathroom. While we were in there, a girl came out of the stall and fell to the ground. She had a syringe in her arm. I had just seen this girl on the streetcorner with a homeless sign no less than 20 minutes before this incident. This was not a bad neighborhood.
Very scary experience.

Old 08-28-2008, 11:31 AM

Recently I was leaving work downtown, and a homeless man was sitting in the doorway of my building. A piece of paper that I didn't really need fell from a pocket in my bag, and the homeless guy picked it up and handed it to me. I said "Thank You", and turned to walk away. It enraged this guy that I didn't give him money for his "favor", and he began to threaten me. I walked away without further incident, but it really angers me that some homeless people expect to be paid for what was once thought of as basic human courtesy. To hell with people like this!

Old 08-28-2008, 12:19 PM

132 posts, read 529,021 times
If they have a real disability, then they probably receive at least $500 a month from social security. Which is plenty to buy food if you're not paying for shelter. The others are probably either professional panhandlers or drug addicts.

Most homeless people, you won't find on the street day after day begging. The ones that really might be "down on their luck" are less likely to be so visible on the street like that. They're probably living temporarily at a friends/family or in their car maybe, while they get back on their feet. The ones on the streets like that are more often the chronically homeless, or are not even homeless. And for the most part, any cash you give them probably isn't going to keep them from starving, or give them shelter.

Old 08-28-2008, 12:27 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,772,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Recently I was leaving work downtown, and a homeless man was sitting in the doorway of my building. A piece of paper that I didn't really need fell from a pocket in my bag, and the homeless guy picked it up and handed it to me. I said "Thank You", and turned to walk away. It enraged this guy that I didn't give him money for his "favor", and he began to threaten me. I walked away without further incident, but it really angers me that some homeless people expect to be paid for what was once thought of as basic human courtesy. To hell with people like this!

You should'a popped him. The bums gave me a wide berth when I lived up there.

Old 08-28-2008, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
You should'a popped him. The bums gave me a wide berth when I lived up there.
I've had to deal with this decision before, whether it was a homeless person or a smartass teenager. I'm a relatively big guy, and could probably take on some stoned or drunk homeless dude withoug a lot of trouble. But in this town, you never really know who or what you're dealing with on the street. Say a teenager who looks like a gang-banger calls me a cracker or honky or makes a comment about my wife (all have happened before)... I may be able to take him in a fair fight, but these kids carry guns sometimes, or have gangster friends who are into retribution. Or as Avengerfire said, some homeless guys are armed with knives or schivs or whatever. If I don't know the whole situation, I'll walk away from a fight any day.

Old 08-28-2008, 12:40 PM

725 posts, read 1,851,407 times
Posting examples of homeless charity gone awry or this tragic story about the beating does not make all or even most homeless people as rude and pushy as you guys are making them out to be. Not that the woman in that news story deserved to have 14 teeth knocked out for what she said, but what she said was pretty obnoxious. (Those 2 particular homeless people also had extensive police records for violent crimes, definitely not exemplary of the vast majority of homeless.)

Old 08-28-2008, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Costa Rica Chica View Post
Posting examples of homeless charity gone awry or this tragic story about the beating does not make all or even most homeless people as rude and pushy as you guys are making them out to be. Not that the woman in that news story deserved to have 14 teeth knocked out for what she said, but what she said was pretty obnoxious. (Those 2 particular homeless people also had extensive police records for violent crimes, definitely not exemplary of the vast majority of homeless.)
Well, not all homeless people are panhandlers. But most panhandlers are rude and pushy. At least in Chicago.

Old 08-28-2008, 01:00 PM

78,487 posts, read 60,679,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
I've had to deal with this decision before, whether it was a homeless person or a smartass teenager. I'm a relatively big guy, and could probably take on some stoned or drunk homeless dude withoug a lot of trouble. But in this town, you never really know who or what you're dealing with on the street. Say a teenager who looks like a gang-banger calls me a cracker or honky or makes a comment about my wife (all have happened before)... I may be able to take him in a fair fight, but these kids carry guns sometimes, or have gangster friends who are into retribution. Or as Avengerfire said, some homeless guys are armed with knives or schivs or whatever. If I don't know the whole situation, I'll walk away from a fight any day.
Smart man. I've had some similar run ins and no way was I going to mix it up with some random idiot who has nothing to lose. Besides, so I beat up some punk....nice way to catch HIV, HEP C etc. from getting some bloody knuckles off his face.

Old 08-28-2008, 01:04 PM

78,487 posts, read 60,679,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Costa Rica Chica View Post
The vast majority of panhandling homeless that I have seen in Chicago have OBVIOUS signs of mental illness and drug abuse. Let's not confuse those people with "regular homeless" that are living out of a car, in a transitional shelter etc. I don't think anyone here is confusing the two that I have seen.

My roomie and I let a *homeless* friend crash with us rent free for about 3 months while he got back on his feet. Not a big deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago