Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 03:55 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,803,926 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
If you really want a bad experience driving in a Chicago alley, honk your horn at one of the scavenger truck drivers blocking your progress.
I curious to hear your experiences with this one. I live next door to a high-rise with a gated dumpster area in their loading dock, and I'm always astonished that these scavenger truck guys will have the gall to just walk onto private property, open the gates, and dig through the dumpsters. This isn't a public alley, but a private loading dock. They've also hopped the fence into our back yard to go through our dumpsters (I live on a block without alleys). I've threatened to call the cops on them more than once, since I really don't like people trespassing in my back yard. Usually they run like they're being chased.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2008, 05:05 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,209,063 times
I never give homeless people money, and it never seems to matter if you ignore them or say "sorry man" or just "sorry".

I work on Lake and Wacker and walk to LaSalle and Lake for lunch. I pass the same 4 people over a two block span every day and every day they always make sure to jump right in front of me and move to the left and right blocking me at the intersection asking for money. It's really stressful because I know every day I''m going to have to once again dance around these angry people to get my lunch.

Three different times one of them has followed me down the street screaming and swearing. They obviously don't just do this to me, but usually I can work it so they're harassing someone else when I walk by. One time a guy asked me for my lunch and when i said "sorry man" he started yelling all sarcastic. OH! THAT'S COOL MAN! DON'T YOU GO AND CHOKE ON THAT SANDWICH NOW!!! It was creepy.

Another time I walked by a guy and he got in front of me telling me to give him money. I said "sorry" and walked by and he followed me down the street screaming that he was going to kick my white ass and yadda yadda yadda. A few others have offered to kill me for not giving money.

Because of all this I CAN'T STAND any homeless people now and avoid them at all costs. Just today on the Orange Line it was full of tourists and a guy walked through the door between the trains, huge guy, threw his bag down on the ground and started SCREAMING in a very intimidating voice that he was just out of prison and he wanted a job and he needed money for a 7 day pass. Then he spent 5 minutes walking to each person individually and putting them on the spot asking for money and why couldn't they give him a dollar when he had nothing and just got out of federal prison.

Needless to say there were a lot of TERRIFIED tourists on the train, and I was extremely freaked out myself. I brought out a book and pretended to read until he finally went to the next car and started the whole thing over again.

The best is the people who leap out and get cab doors, etc for tourists and then freak out that they should be paid for doing something the tourist was going to do anyway. I think some of the homeless people here give the city a VERY bad name.

Old 08-28-2008, 05:32 PM

3,631 posts, read 10,237,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Because of all this I CAN'T STAND any homeless people now and avoid them at all costs. Just today on the Orange Line it was full of tourists and a guy walked through the door between the trains, huge guy, threw his bag down on the ground and started SCREAMING in a very intimidating voice that he was just out of prison and he wanted a job and he needed money for a 7 day pass. Then he spent 5 minutes walking to each person individually and putting them on the spot asking for money and why couldn't they give him a dollar when he had nothing and just got out of federal prison.
I see that he has moved onto the Orange Line. He spent months on the Red Line.

I don't give anybody change, but every now and then I'll buy a Streetwise.

Old 08-28-2008, 05:39 PM

1,083 posts, read 3,726,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nessatar View Post
Like who? I have always given money and time to my local shelter in MI and would like to do the same when I get settled in Chicago. Is there a good org. in the Lincoln Square area?

Inspiration Cafe is in Uptown, but its a great organization and I would go so far as to say fun to volunteer there.

Old 08-28-2008, 05:42 PM

132 posts, read 461,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthera View Post
Inspiration Cafe is in Uptown, but its a great organization and I would go so far as to say fun to volunteer there.
Thanks, Anthera. I will look into it.

Old 08-28-2008, 06:21 PM

13 posts, read 165,026 times
Here's my 2cents.

I've been homeless, as a youth and it sucked. I was out there due to circumstances beyond my control and I didn't panhandle or harass.

There are different kinds of homeless people. There are those that honest to god are tossed out there by family,shelters and lack of places to house them (hospitals, half way houses etc) Some try to remain unseen and look for ways to earn money. Like, cans..scrap metal..bottles and odd jobs. They would rather do this then ask people to fork over their earnings out of pity. They hustle street wise, bottles of water etc.. These people are rarely encountered as they don't remain out there too long. Eventually they find housing even if temp and a job. This was my case and I've never looked back.

Then you have the addicts who simply are homeless because they smoked up their rent. They didn't fall on hard times, they created them. And they have no desire to make their situation better..they just want to get high. These are typically the ones you meet whom scoff at your change and harass. I have no sympathy and do not contribute. I don't care what anyone spends my donation on, but I'll be damned if I'm made to feel bad that it wasn't enough to buy their rock or beer. And I can spot these rather quickly.

The mentally ill that are out there usually don't bother most. If they do it's not to hurt someone or be a jerk. Honest to god they are just "lost". It's a sad state of affairs.

Then there are people out there that CHOOSE to be homeless as a means to earn money, live the lifestyle etc. They panhandle as their job. AKA crust punks, transients etc. These are usually kids with a chip on their shoulder. I've not seen any in Chicago, mostly in New Orleans..San Fran and Oregon. Most have addictions to feed though.

Not all are "scum" and not all are hopeless either. A majority though are. And I say this with conviction as I had to survive among them. Out of 20 that I knew, possibly 5 were there due to things they could not help. The rest usually were there because their addictions took over and a small % were there because there isn't adequate mental health help.

Old 08-28-2008, 06:24 PM

50,327 posts, read 47,069,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
Isn't that where they're needed most????
No

If you put out a bird feeder guess what? Birds come. What is needed is to take all the Father Joe and other do gooders money and buy a plot of land inland where it's cheap real estate and room to build housing and recovery areas. That is if they are truly serious about helping the homeless. Feeding them on the street means they stay right there, on the street. This reminds me of feeding Seagulls at the beach.

Old 08-28-2008, 06:26 PM

50,327 posts, read 47,069,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
I never give homeless people money, and it never seems to matter if you ignore them or say "sorry man" or just "sorry".

I work on Lake and Wacker and walk to LaSalle and Lake for lunch. I pass the same 4 people over a two block span every day and every day they always make sure to jump right in front of me and move to the left and right blocking me at the intersection asking for money. It's really stressful because I know every day I''m going to have to once again dance around these angry people to get my lunch.

Three different times one of them has followed me down the street screaming and swearing. They obviously don't just do this to me, but usually I can work it so they're harassing someone else when I walk by. One time a guy asked me for my lunch and when i said "sorry man" he started yelling all sarcastic. OH! THAT'S COOL MAN! DON'T YOU GO AND CHOKE ON THAT SANDWICH NOW!!! It was creepy.

Another time I walked by a guy and he got in front of me telling me to give him money. I said "sorry" and walked by and he followed me down the street screaming that he was going to kick my white ass and yadda yadda yadda. A few others have offered to kill me for not giving money.

Needless to say there were a lot of TERRIFIED tourists on the train, and I was extremely freaked out myself. I brought out a book and pretended to read until he finally went to the next car and started the whole thing over again.

The best is the people who leap out and get cab doors, etc for tourists and then freak out that they should be paid for doing something the tourist was going to do anyway. I think some of the homeless people here give the city a VERY bad name.
This is why they need to move shelters and stations to an area that the people that need/want it can benefit most. Thugs are just that thugs. They may as well be pointing a gun at you.

Old 08-28-2008, 06:54 PM

725 posts, read 1,850,454 times
I take Metra to Olgilvie station and there's always a man outside with one of those cardboard signs. Funny thing is, he changes what it says every week.once it said he needed money for a prescription. Once it said he had cancer. This week his wife died and he needs money for a funeral. At least he's creative!

Seriously, what bothers me more than panhandlers (truthfully I have never encountered a screamer or threatening one downtown), are those teenagers for "save the children". They get right in your path! (I do remember what it's like to have a crappy summer job, though. LOL

Old 08-28-2008, 06:55 PM

95 posts, read 325,442 times
My friends daughter (21) was coming out of McDonalds at 9 am in the morning - walking - and a homeless man- knocked her down and stole her Breakfast Chicken Sandwich. OK- this was in Detroit- but still - come on a McDonalds Sandwich??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago