Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 12:46 PM

1,722 posts, read 2,556,038 times

Advertisements

Hmm, this guy never posted again. I wonder if he survived his trip to Reggie's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2010, 01:06 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times
^ I think there is at least one person a day that does not survive the trip to Reggie's! ^

Old 05-07-2013, 12:47 PM

4 posts, read 3,342 times
Don't see any recent posts about this topic. My husband will be attending a show here at Reggie's on Friday. I plan to drop him off and go back to shop near Macy's, Michigan ave, etc. I have never been this far down on state st. Still fairly safe? Any replies would be appreciated. Thanks! (I am from WI by the way, so not familiar with this part of downtown.)

Old 05-07-2013, 12:53 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
Well, Harold Ickes homes were demolished in 2010..I think it's fine but I'm not an expert on the area.

Old 05-07-2013, 01:04 PM

Thanks. Based on research I've done it seems fine. I was just concerned that after I drop him off I don't go to turn around in a bad area. I'm under the impression that it doesn't really get rough until about 37th. Am I correct?

Old 05-07-2013, 01:30 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Default Sounds about right...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsc27 View Post
Thanks. Based on research I've done it seems fine. I was just concerned that after I drop him off I don't go to turn around in a bad area. I'm under the impression that it doesn't really get rough until about 37th. Am I correct?
The pace of "redevelopment" even due south of IIT at 35th & State St is pretty glacial. Lots of literally empty nothingness between State and the Dan Ryan... Safe is relative, but unless someone spots you / your husband as some lost tourist/ potential "mark" for a con game (most typical is the "help me I need money for gas / train" scam that is good for about $20 per con...) there is not much hard core crime between the Loop and where the more run down stretches still exisit... IIT itself could be A WHOLE BUNCH MORE "welcoming" as they have an enormous mess of parking lots due east of State Street, many of which could use some sprucing up (ugly metal fencing / anti-reversing tire spike...) but a perfectly acceptable place to "turn around"...

Old 05-07-2013, 01:33 PM

2,918 posts, read 4,206,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzguy2 View Post
Hello,

I want to go see a concert at Reggie's (probably a Saturday night) and wanted to know how the area is. I would probably be taking the Red Line down to Chinatown and then walking there.
If you're used to Lincoln Park / Lakeview, you might not feel comfortable there. (Run down buildings! People who aren't White! Oh noes!!) It's fine, though. Plenty of people make that walk for the very reason you mention (to go to Reggie's), and I've not known of anyone having trouble. That includes petite white females, and you're apparently a dude based on your username, so I wouldn't worry about it. 10 years ago or so it was still known as a dangerous area, but the housing project there is pretty much full of senior citizens now. Tourists and everyone else use that el stop to get to Chinatown, too. Just walk with purpose, as in any area of the city at night.

Edit: Goddammit, just responded to yet another zombie thread. Why do people bring these back?

Old 05-07-2013, 01:36 PM

2,918 posts, read 4,206,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsc27 View Post
My husband will be attending a show here at Reggie's on Friday. I plan to drop him off and go back to shop near Macy's, Michigan ave, etc. I have never been this far down on state st. Still fairly safe?
Yep, you'll be fine.

Old 05-07-2013, 01:46 PM

Chinaan.....thanks for your reply. There's no need to be rude about bringing back a thread. The last replies were a few years old and the area obviously has changed a bit, for the better it seems. I prefer to do my research before I travel somewhere so I can stay safe. There is nothing wrong with that. Thank you.

Old 05-07-2013, 01:51 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Default Hmm, not particularly helpful...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiNaan View Post
Run down buildings! People who aren't White! Oh noes!!) It's fine, though. Just walk with purpose, as in any area of the city at night.
So is one to believe that a fifteen year old at a park would be alive had she "walked with purpose"???

Hadiya Pendleton funeral: 'This should hurt the hearts of every man' - Los Angeles Times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago