Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 10:52 AM

732 posts, read 2,981,916 times

Advertisements

Hey all - we're coming into town for a couple of days for house hunting next week. Due to prior commitments, we're having to take a late flight into Midway that arrives at 10 PM. We're staying at the Days Inn in Lincoln Park (Diversey at Clark).

Is it safe enough around there to walk from the Diversey El station to the hotel, or would we be better off just taking the orange line into downtown and grabbing a taxi there (or for that matter, should we avoid taking the El period and just suck it up for a taxi straight from Midway)?

Thanks

[edit: oops, looks like the Diversey station is closed until next June. Take the #22 bus instead?]

Last edited by Thepreacherswife; 12-13-2007 at 10:55 AM.. Reason: because I'm a moron
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2007, 11:01 AM

4,688 posts, read 10,109,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepreacherswife View Post
Hey all - we're coming into town for a couple of days for house hunting next week. Due to prior commitments, we're having to take a late flight into Midway that arrives at 10 PM. We're staying at the Days Inn in Lincoln Park (Diversey at Clark).

Is it safe enough around there to walk from the Diversey El station to the hotel, or would we be better off just taking the orange line into downtown and grabbing a taxi there (or for that matter, should we avoid taking the El period and just suck it up for a taxi straight from Midway)?

Thanks

[edit: oops, looks like the Diversey station is closed until next June. Take the #22 bus instead?]
Safety won't be an issue.

Old 12-13-2007, 12:36 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,628,883 times
You're from CoMo? Neato. I just moved here myself from there (went to Mizzou)
What brings you to Chicago?

I don't think safety would be an issue as long as you keep your eyes open, but it might be a bit inconvenient (guess it depends too on how much luggage you're bringing) If you have very little it should be fine.

Old 12-13-2007, 12:41 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,799,921 times
That's one of the safest and most occupied parts of the city. I'd be more worried about your trip from Midway on the Orange Line, honestly. But you should be fine.

Old 12-13-2007, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
You're from CoMo? Neato. I just moved here myself from there (went to Mizzou)
What brings you to Chicago?
I'm starting a new job in late February and my wife is leaving hers to be a full-time mom. I haven't lived in Da City since I was 7 (30+ years ago) so my past knowledge of the city is worth bupkus at this point.

How bout them Tigers? Funny how people here b**** about them going to the Cotton Bowl when normally the go to the toilet bowl...

Old 12-13-2007, 01:48 PM

So true! If you would have told me at the beginning of the season that we'd go to the Cotton Bowl I would have called you a dirty liar.

So are you looking in the Lincoln Park area?

Old 12-13-2007, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
So are you looking in the Lincoln Park area?
Ha! I wish. We're looking for 3BR-2BA under $325K, so I can't imagine Lincoln Park is going to factor into things unless the bottom completely falls out of the market in the next month or so. We've been concentrating on Rogers Park, Westridge, Edgewater, Albany Park, and Irving Park.

It just looked like a nice area to stay for the trip. Our realtor will be shuttling us all over the place.

Old 12-13-2007, 02:38 PM

Well good luck with everything! I'm sure you will miss Columbia's prices - I still do sometimes. My brothers bought a 4 bedroom 3 1/2 bath townhouse in Columbia (near Campus View) for $90k. It' s a totally different world up here, but I completely love it. I hope you do too!

Old 12-13-2007, 05:07 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,621,939 times
No real problem on that walk,that area is very upscale now. Welcome back.

For a family like yours I would recommend Irving Park above all the others.I rank those areas in order as :Irving Park,Edgewater,(eastern)Albany Park,West Ridge and Rogers Park.

You might want to try Jefferson Park, Portage Park,Norwood Park and Edison Park also. All of these are great places to raise a family on the Northwest side.

Old 12-13-2007, 10:25 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,205,471 times
I can't belive no one said the Diversey brown line is shut down!!!

I live right down the street. The hotel is located in a very alive part of the city though, a lot of entertainment and very safe. I would say to walk around that area a lot. I brought people in from Iowa and they seemed to have a lot more fun just melting into lakeview and the area than they did wandering up Michigan Ave. or Millenium Park.

So. You'll probably be going downtown. Just walk out of the hotel, go to the left and on the busy corner there just wait by the bus stop. The #22 Clark bus can pick you up there, just get on and put two dollars in the machine in the doorway. You can take that and get off at Chicago Ave, Grand Ave, or go into the loop and get off at Washington Ave.

It's simple and you don't have to deal with walking or crap, just get on the bus, and say "ok, so how do I do this" with two dollar bills, they'll fill you in. very easy. the damn brown line doesn't open back up for 5 months.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago