Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 07:45 AM

4,688 posts, read 10,103,650 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
106th floor? Wouldn't that put her about half way up one of the spires?
Ha...good point. But once you manage to shimmy yourself up there, the view is amazing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2009, 06:37 AM

4,213 posts, read 4,738,815 times
Default Had a GREAT time in Chicago....

Ok guys...lemme preface this with saying that I did not wanna leave your city. I pretty much fell in love with the place. Thanks for the recommendations...here's a quick recap of what we did:

Thurs-Ate @ Quartino's (Italian), shopping @ Magnificent Mile, Crobar Lounge (didn't get in-long story), Club Enclave (wasn't really feeling it, but by the 5th shot, I was! LOL)

Fri-Walked around the city, Frontera Grill (Mexican) for lunch, bus/trolley tour of the city, John Hancock Center, a lil more shopping, ate @ Grand Lux Cafe, Fireworks @ Grant Park, House of Blues party

Sat-People watching lol , Taste of Chicago (yes, I had some Garrett's...and some good fried chicken from "Harold's Chicken", too! ), drinking back @ hotel, Went to some lounge we didn't get into (long story again), Victor Hotel (didn't get into-long story), ended up @ Red Kivo (Kiva?)

Sunday-brunch and went home---which was VERRRRY hard cuz we absolutely love the city & didn't wanna leave.

I definitely have to go back to Chicago...I had such a great time, I really did. The food at Frontera was a little off the day we went, but I personally still enjoyed it. I would've preferred to go somewhere else over Grand Lux since it is a chain, but we were pressed for time and had to eat close to our hotel and their wait wasn't as long as Giordano's. But we did really enjoy the food at Grand Lux tho!

Got rained on all day Saturday at the Taste but we made the most of it. While everyone else slept in Friday morning, I got up early and checked out Goddess and Grocer's red velvet cupcakes. Also tried a red velvet cupcake from the cupcake place "More". On Saturday I tried a red velvet cupcake from Fox and Obel. As you can see, I love me some red velvet cupcakes! So I had looked up several places to try them from before coming to the city. Out of the 3, More's were the best to me. Goddess and Grocer's icing was too "sour creamish" and too "light/airy" (I like my icing rich and sweet. And Fox and Obel's cake was dry, and the icing was actually overly overly sweet.

ETA: If any of you are fanatics for a red velvet cupcake like I am and you're ever in Atlanta, try the West Egg Cafe on Howell Mill Rd. You won't be disappointed. Best I've had anywhere so far....

Oh yeah...I ordered a half baked pizza from Giordano's, froze it, and brought it back home. So I still got a chance to taste it

Last edited by southkakkatlantan; 07-08-2009 at 06:46 AM..

Old 07-08-2009, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UICJohn View Post
And if you're going to the Taste a few suggestions:

The Jambalaya and / or Gator Sausage from Blue Bayou are both very good.
The breaded calimari from Joe's is also good
Pulled pork or boneless rib from Sweet Baby Ray's or Robinson's
Tiramisu gelato for dessert or a combo (piece of fudge, chocolate covered banana and a chocolate covered strawberry) but I forgot the names of those places.

I didn't see this message cuz I had already left for Chicago by then...but thanks for the recommendations. I didn't actually try any of the things above! (We got rained on Saturday at the Taste, and didn't stay long)...but I had some really good churros...I had to look up a recipe for it when I got home!

Old 07-08-2009, 06:40 AM

Another thing we missed was that Weiner place that curses at you when you order (what's the name of it??)...We stopped by it but were pressed for time so we couldn't go in

Old 07-08-2009, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiddy View Post
Ha...good point. But once you manage to shimmy yourself up there, the view is amazing!

LMAO!! I was seriously thinking...."106th floor...?? How were we supposed to get up there?? "

Anywho, we went up to the Lounge and got some great pics/vid from up there of the city. Very very nice views....

Old 07-08-2009, 06:43 AM

One thing I must add is that our service at the James hotel was amazing. And Chicagoans were friendlier than we expected them to be...I wanna visit again for a longer period of time (maybe like a week).

Old 07-08-2009, 08:17 AM

3,047 posts, read 9,030,737 times
I got out of school around 8:45 on July 3rd and boy was it filled with strange characters...the night time crowd (in the loop) is different than the day time crowd. And that fact was even more evident with the Taste of Chicago going on. It's like every unemployed, drop out, with kids decided to come to the Taste of Chicago/Millenium Park on July 3rd. There were drunks on the train too. Just a crazy night to go downtown July 3rd is. I would imagine I got a glimpse into what it's like to go to the, now defunct, South Side Irish Parade.

Old 07-08-2009, 08:53 AM

Oh! How could I forget to mention what was the best part of our trip to me....?

Saturday we did the evening cocktail architectural cruise...my favorite part of the entire weekend.

Old 07-08-2009, 06:35 PM

473 posts, read 760,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post
Another thing we missed was that Weiner place that curses at you when you order (what's the name of it??)...We stopped by it but were pressed for time so we couldn't go in
Wiener's Circle

Old 04-12-2010, 01:27 PM

258 posts, read 1,003,438 times
Default Parking for Taste of Chicago 2010

Where can I park for the Taste of Chicago 2010? I will be staying downtown at the Red Roof Inn and coming from Michigan.. I would like to park for $10 a day or less, for a total of 3 days.

Last edited by chris0681; 04-12-2010 at 02:28 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago