Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 02:06 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,879,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris0681 View Post
Alright I figured out its impossible to park downtown for $10 a day during the Taste of Chicago Festival and even if I look 5 hours and find a place that does offer that price I dont want to drive through all the traffic and pay the tolls from Michigan, I made up my mind to take the South Shore train into the city July 2 and leave July 5, but here is my question, Is it ok to park at the Caroll Street Station in Michigan City overnight from July 2-July5? I hear thats it's not patrolled, and the one in South Bend is patrolled, but does that station charge for parking?
sorry, just saw this - don't know about the station/parking (try Yelp), but I can give you two thumbs up that your trip will be 100% more relaxing if you don't have a car to worry about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2010, 07:03 AM

258 posts, read 1,003,755 times
Yeah I think I have parking figured out, as I'm taking the south shore train from probably dune park as it looks like a safe place to park for a few days, I was just wondering if the festival is safe, and fun and it sounds like it is, as one other user said it is. I was just curious about other people's opinions about it.

Old 04-15-2010, 07:57 AM

367 posts, read 917,998 times
I've been many years. If you like huge crowds go on the weekends.

I was standing a few yards away, a couple years back, when some idiot pulled a gun. You should have seen people run! I made me angry because it was one year where I had some children in my care.

Believe me. The police are on these guys faster than you can blink.

Old 04-15-2010, 08:02 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,879,802 times
Taste is one of those events everyone should do once. Whether you need to do it more than that is highly debatable, IMO, but I'm also biased and lazy as I can walk to it over a lunch hour.

I would suggest you also spend the time to wander the lakefront, take in a show, all of that other good stuff.

Old 04-15-2010, 08:11 AM

1,464 posts, read 5,510,206 times
Wow, is this the same guy that asked, "perhaps once 290 is done, the construction will be over since all the roads will have been fixed"? LOL! $10 a day. Heck you can't even park at Six Flags for that anymore.

Old 04-15-2010, 08:54 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,763,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
^ So the (OP) guy is going to stay downtown and then deal with the aggravation of driving up to Rogers Park just to park his car and then deal with the aggravation of taking the Red Line downtown? ^
If you get on at Howard- even on July 3rd- the train will have seats. It does not become "standing room only" until about Bryn Mawer.

Old 04-15-2010, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerPlayer1 View Post
Go to the Taste of Des Moines

(Full Disclosure: Des Moines is now my standard response for whenever someone comes on, asking a semi-lamenting question about how they can have something in Chicago for a price that is unrealistic. $10 parking in the loop, 3 bedroom apartments in safe neighborhoods for $500 a month, world class dining for $10 a head)
You can get a decent "cheezboorger" for that!

Old 04-15-2010, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow_nerve_action View Post
Any police presence is relative at these stations. Their main concern is with making sure people embark/disbark safely. I have never heard of any problems with cars being broken into in Michigan City or Dune Park station lots.

As I say to my relatives that visit from Michigan:

Taste of Chicago is something everyone should do once.

There will be shootings.
There will be wallet pickpockets.
There will be food poisoning.

You will be ok if you jeep your wallet and cell phone in your front pocket, avoid any mayo-based foods, and be aware of your surroundings. There's a ton of plain clothes officers, as well as towers and cameras. Its like the Midwest's largest church carnival.

No big fireworks show this year, though. Budget cuts. Sorry.
You are kidding???

Old 04-15-2010, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
Taste is one of those events everyone should do once. Whether you need to do it more than that is highly debatable, IMO, but I'm also biased and lazy as I can walk to it over a lunch hour.

I would suggest you also spend the time to wander the lakefront, take in a show, all of that other good stuff.
I do it every year but if they are not doing the fireworks this year, it might be time to scope out MilwaukeeFest instead.

Old 04-15-2010, 11:36 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
If you get on at Howard- even on July 3rd- the train will have seats. It does not become "standing room only" until about Bryn Mawer.
It is about the amount of travel time involved not about how crowded the train will be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago