Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2008, 11:56 PM

107 posts, read 142,391 times

Advertisements

How can there not have been a thread on this?!

advice: Only buy the 3 ticket taste samples from the kiosks, anything more will fill you up too fast without trying so many other palces. so yeah, never get more than the 3 ticket taste samples from the booths.

advice: dont make the long lines for the tickets at the entrance or even a littl more in, go deeep in, theres almost no lines at all, and by that time you saw a lot of kiosks.

advice: the port a potis (bathrooms) have mirrors! so you can get good looking to impress your date or girls/guys that are there. also, theres allot of areas to wash your hands, you have to pump it! its wierd but cool, I actually stuck my hand under it like it was gonna be automatic, damn Im spoiled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2008, 04:29 AM

4,079 posts, read 10,389,774 times
Advice: if you've visited the taste before then there is no reason for you to buy food especially if you are from Chicago and the surrounding areas. Let the tourist spend their money.

A lot of people do not go to the taste to eat they go to see who they can hook up with....Good Luck

One more thing be sure to have on your most scandalous attire

Old 06-29-2008, 06:16 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,179,639 times
I just got back from the Taste. They have really improved on the layout so it is no longer wall to wall with bodies. Lots of folks with their kids, lots of rides, lots of folks showing lots of skin.

Old 06-29-2008, 08:59 PM

16 posts, read 57,981 times
Saw Stevie Wonder last night, good stuff!!

Other than that I hate crowds, lol...

Old 06-30-2008, 08:34 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,611,075 times
I have a question about the festivities. Anyone know why you guys do your fireworks display on the 3rd? I guess it's been that way for a long time, but I was just curious if there was a story behind it.

Old 06-30-2008, 09:02 PM

190 posts, read 982,009 times
Since it's my first summer in Chicago, I decided to go to Taste. I bought my tickets at a local Dominick's for $6 (for a strip of 12). I noticed at the actual fair grounds that the price was $8. Provided that the stores are still selling them for $6, I'd highly advise everyone to buy it at their local store before venturing out to the actual Taste.

As for the food, well, it was so-so. A little expensive for what you get -- it's mostly carnival food. I agree with the long time Chicago residents that I'd rather spend my money in an actual restaurant than overpay for low quality stuff and bumping into Chicagoans everywhere.

The atmosphere is kind of fun though.

Old 07-01-2008, 02:29 PM

725 posts, read 1,848,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
I have a question about the festivities. Anyone know why you guys do your fireworks display on the 3rd? I guess it's been that way for a long time, but I was just curious if there was a story behind it.
I always understood that it was because the suburbs all do their fireworks on the 4th. That way suburbanites go to Chicago on the third too. I may be wrong. I'm going to Google it...

Old 07-01-2008, 02:53 PM

I just got this from a Sun Times article:

Quote:
And in addition to the annual July 3 show, on July 4 at 9:30 p.m., the Taste will light up the sky in a simultaneous show with the Navy Pier display.
I guess there will be a show Friday too, but I still can't find why Chicago does its big show on the 3rd.

Holiday fireworks to light up the night :: CHICAGO SUN-TIMES :: Entertainment (http://www.suntimes.com/entertainment/1026844,WKP-News-fireworks27West.article - broken link)

Old 07-01-2008, 02:59 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,344,148 times
"it's mostly carnival food"
I didn't think it was. Although there are alot of pizza places. But of course, my kids had to have their pizza. They had the connies, (deep dish) which is really good. And the other kid had the father and son (thin).
We had samosas, which were good. And those bobo things, steamed buns with chicken teriyaki in them. Those were good. And ribs of course.
You have to seek out the unusual there... the one african restaurant had goat, wanted to try it, but ran out of coupons!
Hadn't been there in a while, went first day, was not too crowded and the layout was better. Make sure you bring the sunscreen there, it was hot.
Ditto on getting the tickets beforehand or at kiosks that are not right at the entrance.

Old 07-01-2008, 05:39 PM

Do they still sell alligator? Yuck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago