Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2023, 01:21 PM

85 posts, read 45,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2020's YouTube Vlog View Post
I see. Which are some of the other ones?

Just asking, as people in NYC don't really like Prince St. I've never been actually. It's a newer one, but they've expanded nation-wide fast.

My favorite in Manhattan
is Joe's on Carmine and Bleecker.

Bleecker St pizza is good too, as is Ben's in Soho (the sicilian slice in particular there).
Patsy's (the one at 118th and 1st) is my spot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2023, 01:24 PM

Quote:
What are good non-deep dish pizzerias in Chicago/the Chicagoland area?

I am not a huge deep dish fan, but enjoy it on occasion. The process of making and eating it doesn't feel very "pizza like" (at least at the places I went where it took like 30-40 minutes to make one.). It's pretty good, but for me, part of what makes pizza appealing is that it's quick to make and eat. So deep dish doesn't really check those boxes for me.

I have heard that non-deep dish Chicago style is also good, but have yet to try it. Any recommendations?
My personal favorite for tavern-style is at Calo in Andersonville. Will always prefer tri-state pizza though. It's almost like, contrary to every pizza thread created by Chicagoans (you won't see these types of threads in any New York sub), people can have personal preferences for different things.

Old 06-21-2023, 01:25 PM

383 posts, read 279,867 times
Barnaby's northbrook

Old 06-21-2023, 01:31 PM

2,618 posts, read 1,215,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hochita View Post
Patsy's (the one at 118th and 1st) is my spot.
That's a good one too!

That area near Pleasant Ave is a neat old school neighborhood too.

Old 06-21-2023, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Will always prefer tri-state pizza though. It's almost like, contrary to every pizza thread created by Chicagoans (you won't see these types of threads in any New York sub), people can have personal preferences for different things.
Assuming by tri-state, you mean NY-CT-NJ?

If so, I have to say that New Haven has some good spots. And on my bucket list is the "hot oil" Irish pizza in Stamford. It sounds interesting.

As does Trenton, NJ. One of my favorites is the Trenton Tomato Pie. Philly is great too (my spot there is pizzeria vetri).

Old 06-21-2023, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Assuming by tri-state, you mean NY-CT-NJ?

If so, I have to say that New Haven has some good spots. And on my bucket list is the "hot oil" Irish pizza in Stamford. It sounds interesting.

As does Trenton, NJ. One of my favorites is the Trenton Tomato Pie. Philly is great too (my spot there is pizzeria vetri).
Most definitely.

Actually never had Philly pizza...only been a handful of times and suffice to say it's not on my list of favorite cities. New Haven has some fire pizz for sure, though.

Old 06-21-2023, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Most definitely.

Actually never had Philly pizza...only been a handful of times and suffice to say it's not on my list of favorite cities. New Haven has some fire pizz for sure, though.
I kind of like Philly. Reminds me a little of a mini-version of what NYC used to be like when I was a kid. I understand why people don't like it. It's definitely not the most welcoming place. Pretty rough around the edges too.

New Haven Pizza is pretty good. People from CT swear it's better than NY style. I disagree with that, but of course I grew up in NY, so I have my biases.

I'll add to NY style that Italian-American heavy suburbs in LI and Westchester also have some good joints.

Old 06-24-2023, 07:05 AM

3,977 posts, read 8,171,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aga412 View Post
I always thought Monicals was nasty.
Coming from Florida to Illinois we call Monicals pizza- the cardboard pizza place.

But growing up in Illinois myself and Monicals being the only pizza place in town, it is sort of a cult pizza. The high school memories of hanging out there and then family memories of getting together after moving out of state means 2 or 3 times getting Monicals in the week we are in town. Even my kids have started to like it. The secret is in the sauce. Monicals has red salad dressing that you dip your pizza in.

Here on the East Coast of Florida, we have Bizarros Pizza which is owned by NYers and is run like a deli where you pick up your slice.
Take too long deciding what you want and you get yelled at for holding up the line. It is good pizza. Difference between Chicago thin and NY pizza is you can't roll the Chicago slice to eat it like you can the greasier NY cheese pizza. I think our brains and maybe not the taste buds have a lot to do with what pizza tastes the best to us. I also think if you avoid most of the chains you get better pizza unless you make your own from scratch at home.

Old 06-24-2023, 09:49 AM

1,724 posts, read 1,146,129 times
I'm from CT. Even have a few Frank Pepe's in the area. Everyone SWEARS New Haven is the best followed by its cousin New York.

But i'll take Chicago style if you make me choose.

Old 06-24-2023, 09:59 AM

1,724 posts, read 1,146,129 times
Now I'm wondering if I've even had Chicago tavern style pizza or where I can find it in CT
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago