Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2023, 08:48 AM

2,563 posts, read 3,627,623 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
Topping-heavy pizzas are there usually to mask the fact that the actual pizza is crap.
Real NY slice has no toppings at all, and it is by far the most popular option with NYers. When the pizza is just good by itself, thats when you know its good.
It is also never cut into squares...
eh, I tried to make a place in heart (and stomach) for NY style, but still find it greasy and bland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2023, 12:13 PM

219 posts, read 135,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hochita View Post
In NY it's not tavern style, that's a nonna slice. If that's all you looked for while there, you severely limited yourself and didn't get a fair representation. Would be interested to know what places you went to.

Also Jersey and LI have the best pizza in the tri-state in 2023.
I don't remember all the places, the ones that stood out were Scars Pizza and Prince which were recommended by locals.

Old 05-20-2023, 10:41 PM

4,656 posts, read 4,973,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
Topping-heavy pizzas are there usually to mask the fact that the actual pizza is crap.
Real NY slice has no toppings at all, and it is by far the most popular option with NYers. When the pizza is just good by itself, thats when you know its good.
It is also never cut into squares...
Whatever helps you sleep at night.

Cheese pizza is for children. And New Yorkers, to hear you tell it.

Old 05-25-2023, 05:04 PM

1,626 posts, read 1,710,721 times
I've eaten pizza everywhere including Chicago, NY, and Italy.

Best pizza I've ever had is in Urbana, IL. https://timpones-urbana.com/

I lived in Champaign, IL most of my life and ate pizza at Timpone's hundreds of times.

Old family recipe brought over from Italy by Raymond Timpone, Sr.

Old 05-26-2023, 04:16 PM

219 posts, read 135,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin1 View Post
I've eaten pizza everywhere including Chicago, NY, and Italy.

Best pizza I've ever had is in Urbana, IL. https://timpones-urbana.com/

I lived in Champaign, IL most of my life and ate pizza at Timpone's hundreds of times.

Old family recipe brought over from Italy by Raymond Timpone, Sr.
I've had pizza at Champaign (Jupiters) wasn't that impressed. It was ok

Old 05-27-2023, 01:04 AM

3,559 posts, read 2,400,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Arrow View Post
I was recently in NYC and decided to try several pizza places. I can say with confidence that Chicago pizza is superior. I'm not talking about deep dish, I'm talking about tavern style. Don't get me wrong, NYC pizza is good, probably better than 90% of pizza in the US, but not as good as Chicago. The more I travel the more I realize how we Chicagoans are spoiled in in terms of food and pizza specifically.
no it isnt and this is something only Chicagoans believe. Actually, I think you were so disappointed that nyc pizza was superior which is why you made this thread.

Old 05-27-2023, 02:38 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,871,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
no it isnt and this is something only Chicagoans believe. Actually, I think you were so disappointed that nyc pizza was superior which is why you made this thread.
NYC pizza is NOT superior, and it’s not “only Chicagoans” who think that Chicago-style tavern pizza is as good as those thin greasy slices of cheap salt your city touts.

Yes, there is good NYC pizza, but I’ve had some as bad your nasty rat-infested, p*ss smelling subway.

Get outta here!

Old 05-27-2023, 09:10 AM

833 posts, read 453,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
NYC pizza is NOT superior, and it’s not “only Chicagoans” who think that Chicago-style tavern pizza is as good as those thin greasy slices of cheap salt your city touts.

Yes, there is good NYC pizza, but I’ve had some as bad your nasty rat-infested, p*ss smelling subway.

Get outta here!
The disgusting New York superiority complex rears its head again. There are so many people who prefer Chicago-style tavern to New York. Good job calling this person out.

Old 05-27-2023, 11:38 AM

1,626 posts, read 1,710,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Arrow View Post
I've had pizza at Champaign (Jupiters) wasn't that impressed. It was ok
I agree, pizza at Jupiter's is nothing to write home about. Timpone's pizza on the other hand is off the charts good.

There's also a pizza chain called Monical's. https://www.monicals.com/

It's pretty good, but I'd make the effort to go to Timpone's even if it took longer to get there.

Old 05-27-2023, 11:41 AM

720 posts, read 1,084,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin1 View Post
I agree, pizza at Jupiter's is nothing to write home about. Timpone's pizza on the other hand is off the charts good.

There's also a pizza chain called Monical's. https://www.monicals.com/

It's pretty good, but I'd make the effort to go to Timpone's even if it took longer to get there.
I always thought Monicals was nasty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago