Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2023, 09:05 AM

3,502 posts, read 3,134,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
quigboto, I've had more bad s-x than bad pizza.

BLESS you for THAT, Chicago!!!!!
Chicago....For the bad sex or the bad pizza?
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2023, 09:10 AM

4,630 posts, read 3,250,689 times
quigboto, YOU devil!!!

Now that I think of it, Chicago is dependable for the BEST of EVERYTHING!!!!

75 miles isn't THAT far, you know!

Old 05-15-2023, 10:16 AM

4,948 posts, read 3,051,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Arrow View Post
I was recently in NYC and decided to try several pizza places. I can say with confidence that Chicago pizza is superior.

Can you be more specific?.
Paradoxically, the best NYC thin crust I've ever had was in Florida; owned by a couple from Brooklyn.
And the best thin crust I've had here was 30 miles from downtown.
I feel pizza should be balanced, most suffering from too much cheese.

Old 05-15-2023, 10:42 AM

2,409 posts, read 1,527,483 times
Go to Naples, Italy and order a pizza from any local pizzeria.

Then purchase both a Chicago style and NYC style pizza.

Which 1 doesn't look like the others?

I was fortunate enough to be in the employment of my rich uncle Sam. He shipped my happy behind all over the world. I spent 3 years living in Naples Italy. I've also sampled pizza all over the globe. Worst pizza ever was in the Philippines.

IMO, the best pizza is a thin crust, wood oven fired creation. Bonus points if they used 00 flour when making the crust. That is the flour used in Italy. MOD Pizza, for a chain, makes a fine Italian knock off pizza. They cook your pie in a blazing hot beehive oven. Takes about 3 minutes and the crust comes out exquisite. Plus they let you top it with whatever you want.

Stateside, draw a 50 mile ring around the Empire State building. Within that circle, you will find the greatest collection of establishments that create the best pizza outside of a nation that is shaped like a boot.

FWIW, in NEPA they created an abomination called Old Forge pizza. It's not pizza. It's cheesy bread. The locals go crazy for it. Thus cementing the fact that people need to get out and travel more. Go outside your comfort zone. Life is too short to eat anything that isn't quality pizza.

Now I want pizza for lunch.

Old 05-15-2023, 10:48 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,868,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKTwet View Post
I don't think Chicago pizza is a pizza. It is more like a pie. If you look at pizza across the globe, majority of the pizzas are thin, usually crispy and not too heavy with the ingredients. I like Chicago Pizza once in awhile but to me, it's not pizza. NYC pizza is simple and cheap. Real Italian Pizzas are harder to make, it requires higher quality ingredients. To each of their own, if you prefer Chicago pizza that's fine but it isn't about which one is better. They're not the same. It's like Chinese eggroll vs springroll. Eggroll is an Americanized version of the original Chinese springroll.
What is "Chicago Pizza"???

"Deep Dish" is a style of pizza "Chicago" is known for, but as many posters have detailed, you can get many other types of pizza in "Chicago," including thin crust, tavern style, etc. Are they also "Chicago Pizza?"

Old 05-15-2023, 02:35 PM

3,920 posts, read 6,833,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monello View Post
Go to Naples, Italy and order a pizza from any local pizzeria.

Then purchase both a Chicago style and NYC style pizza.

Which 1 doesn't look like the others?

I was fortunate enough to be in the employment of my rich uncle Sam. He shipped my happy behind all over the world. I spent 3 years living in Naples Italy. I've also sampled pizza all over the globe. Worst pizza ever was in the Philippines.

IMO, the best pizza is a thin crust, wood oven fired creation. Bonus points if they used 00 flour when making the crust. That is the flour used in Italy. MOD Pizza, for a chain, makes a fine Italian knock off pizza. They cook your pie in a blazing hot beehive oven. Takes about 3 minutes and the crust comes out exquisite. Plus they let you top it with whatever you want.

Stateside, draw a 50 mile ring around the Empire State building. Within that circle, you will find the greatest collection of establishments that create the best pizza outside of a nation that is shaped like a boot.

FWIW, in NEPA they created an abomination called Old Forge pizza. It's not pizza. It's cheesy bread. The locals go crazy for it. Thus cementing the fact that people need to get out and travel more. Go outside your comfort zone. Life is too short to eat anything that isn't quality pizza.

Now I want pizza for lunch.
Don't get me wrong, I LOVE true Pizza from a scalding pizza oven. I've been to Italy, never had Pizza in Naples though but I have had it in Rome. I will say, it's delicious and fresh and the cheese is my favorite part. There's something about italian mozarella, however it's my opinion that it's not as delicious as the topping heavy pizza we have in the states. I like the extra sauce, extra cheese, extra toppings and dough used in US pizzas.

One thing I noticed about Italy is that I was basically hungry my entire trip because I couldn't eat enough, plus all of the walking we did. lol. I missed American food a bit but I also thoroughly enjoyed my visit and the food I had.

Old 05-16-2023, 11:55 AM

2,563 posts, read 3,626,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
What is "Chicago Pizza"???

"Deep Dish" is a style of pizza "Chicago" is known for, but as many posters have detailed, you can get many other types of pizza in "Chicago," including thin crust, tavern style, etc. Are they also "Chicago Pizza?"
Chicago tavern pizza. Cut in squares. Lots of cheese and toppings. Fairly thin crust. Heavy flavors, often due to Chi sausage. It's a great pizza and imo, better than NY style pizza. Never got the draw. Floppy, greasy and it's more of a snack than a meal. Kinda meh.

Chicago tavern pizza >> Chicago deep dish (c'mon, you all know you like it) >> NY style

Old 05-16-2023, 03:58 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,868,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
Chicago tavern pizza. Cut in squares. Lots of cheese and toppings. Fairly thin crust. Heavy flavors, often due to Chi sausage. It's a great pizza and imo, better than NY style pizza. Never got the draw. Floppy, greasy and it's more of a snack than a meal. Kinda meh.

Chicago tavern pizza >> Chicago deep dish (c'mon, you all know you like it) >> NY style
Yeah, my comment was tongue-and-cheek. Everyone thinks "Chicago Pizza" = deep dish, when outside of the touristy parts, it really doesn't represent the pizza well. I can definitely get with tavern pizza, and I've had some Chicago tavern/thin crust is definitely better than traditional NY-style. But you'll never get me to say I like deep dish. Just can't eat it, lol.

Old 05-16-2023, 04:00 PM

731 posts, read 484,662 times
I've lived in Chicago or Chicagoland since 1980, and really the only deep dish pizza I ever had was Lou Malnati's a few times. It's alright, I prefer not deep dish.

Old 05-17-2023, 02:32 PM

5,462 posts, read 5,707,576 times
Topping-heavy pizzas are there usually to mask the fact that the actual pizza is crap.
Real NY slice has no toppings at all, and it is by far the most popular option with NYers. When the pizza is just good by itself, thats when you know its good.
It is also never cut into squares...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago