Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2022, 07:46 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,894,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahn View Post
Do a bunch of things? Dressing for the weather is one thing. Snow tires are sensible in huge swathes of the country.

It's cold and windy and sometimes snowy, but other places have hurricanes. Some places have tornadoes. Some places have earthquakes. At least snow and cold can be planned for and handled.
What does any of this have to do with my comment you replied to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2022, 08:48 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,989,030 times
NYC the coldest Christmas/Eve it had in a long time this past weekend.. The Weather Channel app said 8F by midnight.

I like to take night walks in the cold, and I went out. Really not too bad. Its only bad when the wind blows. But if you wear wind resistant gloves, and ear muffs, you are fine.

So even if Chicago gets that cold, it needs to be much more windy.

Old 12-31-2022, 08:40 AM

1,869 posts, read 5,807,810 times
Weather is subjective. But for many, Chicago is cold, cloudy, often windy, with occasional Winter Lake Effect snow. The wind and lack of sunshine don’t get discussed enough.

Summers are great. Too short, but great. My favorite months are July and August. September then parts of June. The long Winter followed by lack of Spring can be challenging.

When it snows in Winter, it is often on the ground for long periods because colder temps keep them there a while.

Some locals, and those who like colder weather won’t mind it as much.

Chicago is a great place but for any unfamiliar with Chicago or some other Great Lakes Upper Midwest geographies, it can be a tougher climate.

Old 01-13-2023, 04:42 PM

7,736 posts, read 6,482,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
I do not mind Chicago winters, but on the spectrum with the rest of the world, Chicago experiences very low temperatures and a lot of snow. The winters are significantly harsher than the vast majority of cities.

It was 11 degrees when I woke up and it is now 14 at 10 AM. These temps would send most of the country into a panic. It would be a major local news event.
I doubt those temps alone would send the majority of the country into a panic. Maybe coastal California, Florida and the Gulf Coast. Those temps are very cold but nothing insane

Old 01-13-2023, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greencheese View Post
When the world shut down for Covid most people here had literally nothing to do except except sit inside and watch video streaming. Meanwhile friends in SoCal, Florida and elsewhere were out hiking, cycling and being in the parks.

Sure I can wear multiple layers for a brief outing or warm up my car before driving but I bet most of us would rather have the choice of just hanging outside if we desired instead of planning short stints in the freezing cold air. It gets old spending countless days inside watching TV and maybe using that Peloton bike in January vs being able to go outside for a walk to the park and just hang out for a change of scenery and a jog.
Covid began in spring, not winter. Here in Minnesota it was a very warm March and people were out playing tennis in the park that month when Covid began and I remember shaking my head at all the crowds outside.

I get it... the weather was nice. But you can enjoy it while social distancing.

Old 01-13-2023, 04:52 PM

I don't even think MINNEAPOLIS winters are bad. Chicago's winters are not snowy/cold enough for my taste, but the city is beautiful when it gets covered in fresh white snow.

People who can't enjoy a cold winter seriously lack imagination. I enjoy ice skating but I don't spend the summer lamenting that the lake isn't frozen anymore. Enjoy what each season brings. I don't need to drink a margarita in a tank top 365 days of the year. Sometimes I wanna drink a hot chocolate and go for a long walk in the snow.

Old 01-13-2023, 08:34 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,619,791 times
The worst part of winter is when it stretches into April, when you think it's nice out but it's blustery and cold. Real winter you just get used to it by the 1st of the year.

But I'd much prefer to wear jeans, boots and a coat rather than shorts and flip flops. I'm ok with the winter months.

Old 01-15-2023, 07:02 AM

2,087 posts, read 1,134,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pincho-toot View Post
I don't even think MINNEAPOLIS winters are bad. Chicago's winters are not snowy/cold enough for my taste, but the city is beautiful when it gets covered in fresh white snow.

People who can't enjoy a cold winter seriously lack imagination. I enjoy ice skating but I don't spend the summer lamenting that the lake isn't frozen anymore. Enjoy what each season brings. I don't need to drink a margarita in a tank top 365 days of the year. Sometimes I wanna drink a hot chocolate and go for a long walk in the snow.

That’s my take, too. Take every season for what it brings, and take advantage of it. If my dog can go out in all kinds of weather and relish being outside, why can’t I?

People have become so wussy.

Old 01-15-2023, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOORGONG View Post
That’s my take, too. Take every season for what it brings, and take advantage of it. If my dog can go out in all kinds of weather and relish being outside, why can’t I?

People have become so wussy.
People are definitely wussy these days lol. If they can't be 100% comfortable in a tank top at all times then its a hardship

Old 01-16-2023, 06:59 AM

2,195 posts, read 1,865,120 times
I like having seasons for sure. I do wish winter was a little bit shorter.

When I lived in Arizona for 2 years....that first late fall/early winter was heartbreaking. I watched a certain Chicago-based movie right around 12/1, a movie I have enjoyed for years at that point, and it depicts the summer turning to fall and then winter with all the holidays. I got SOOOOOOO homesick.

The part I really can't stand is late January through early March until daylight savings comes back. Once daylight savings returns, we are right about at March Madness, it's lighter out, and you get a boost, even if the weather sucks for a few more weeks.

This year I am really enjoying winter. It's super mild, but cold enough where you know it's "cold season" where you can wear your winter clothes and huddle up. We'll probably get slammed in February, but I've enjoyed this winter so far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago