Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2018, 12:22 PM

3,926 posts, read 2,039,509 times

Advertisements

Happy Halloween...and thus the jist of this post...

I am noticing a major increase in those who are easily offended social media. With the recent posts of people going black face as their Halloween characters, I'm seeing MULTIPLE cases where people are doing this again and again this past week in celebration of the holiday.

For instance , a recent case where a woman went black to look like Biance' (sp?) and I saw a few other cases popping up online this Halloween. She got fired from her job at the hospital, and rightfully so. Correct?

What I'm finding a bit silly is that Megan Kelly was fired for saying, "Well, it's Halloween...what did you expect? I fail to see the problem. What is "racist" then? She was fired immediately...but really? Should she have been? It's not like SHE donned the black face, right?

Recently a small town politician said something like Megan Kelly, "I did the same thing when I was a kid at 16 with my African American friend (they swapped races on Halloween...his black friend went white, he went black), He made a statement where he didn't see what the big deal was it about then.

With these local elections, this could prove problematic and impact the outcome the said vote only because he shared an unpopular opinion (reminds me of those memes, "Unpopular opinion time!....change my mind!!") It's a thing.

So now, not only the action is offensive,but there are consequences of voicing said opinion NOT in favor of the unpopular opinion.

Do you think there should be consequences for THAT?

Old 10-31-2018, 03:30 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,039,853 times
There are always repercussions for stating opinions. I mean...almost always. Especially in these days and times.

There is a part of me that doesn't have much sympathy for people in the public eye, who somehow stick their foot in their mouth.

I can tell you the difference between what Megan Kelly said, and what the small town politician said. Megan said "I fail to see the problem." She couldn't just report the story, she felt like editorializing at the end. And her comment came off sounding either obtuse to the times she lives in, or purposely stirring a pot.

The politician was speaking to a time when he was young, and when he was with his friend. He did NOT say "I fail to see the problem." We can, for now, presume he knows what the problem is NOW.

We don't do black face now. We, as a society haven't done Blackface in probably 20 years. Most of us DO see the problem with it. Megan took her chances and she lost.

Plus...regarding Megan. Her ratings have been sucking for awhile. If her ratings had been golden, she might've gotten a stern talking to, and had to do a on-air apology, and she might've kept her job. But her comment was probably just the opportunity the TV show needed to get rid of her.

Old 10-31-2018, 04:56 PM

19,830 posts, read 9,392,703 times
I think that SassyBluesy is correct when s/he said, "And her comment came off sounding either obtuse to the times she lives in, or purposely stirring a pot." However, I disagree with Kelly's bosses that the offense was bad enough for her to lose her job over it.

It seems to me that everyone is under the eye of the collective "Thought Police", and one expresses an opinion about ANYTHING at his or her peril. Orwell's 1984 comes very much to my mind when I read reports and threads like these.

Old 10-31-2018, 05:07 PM

34,105 posts, read 83,042,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisTown123 View Post
I am noticing a major increase in those who are easily offended social media.
With the recent posts of people going black face as their Halloween characters, I'm seeing
MULTIPLE cases where people are doing this again and again this past week in celebration
of the holiday.
I haven't seen anyone doing it.
I suppose that means it's about the crowd you hang out with.

Old 11-01-2018, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I think that SassyBluesy is correct when s/he said, "And her comment came off sounding either obtuse to the times she lives in, or purposely stirring a pot." However, I disagree with Kelly's bosses that the offense was bad enough for her to lose her job over it.

It seems to me that everyone is under the eye of the collective "Thought Police", and one expresses an opinion about ANYTHING at his or her peril. Orwell's 1984 comes very much to my mind when I read reports and threads like these.

She's a representative of the company she works for. NBC is as mainstream as it gets, and they have a reputation to protect. I would ALMOST think she was looking for an out, as well as NBC looking for an out. As it is, she's apparently working with NBC on her exit strategy. I suppose that means niggling over her contract with the head honchos.

Old 11-01-2018, 07:51 AM

1,412 posts, read 1,086,778 times
Having unpopular opinions has always been tough... The only difference is that now the power is shifting and people who didn't have to worry about their opinions before are becoming the out group.

Old 11-01-2018, 08:27 AM

16,110 posts, read 10,775,000 times
That was maybe a lame reason to fire Megan Kelly (I didn't see what she said or how she said it) but she was ****-poor at her job and should have been canned and this was a convenient reason to do it. Seems like few people are mourning her loss compared to other fast departures.

Old 11-01-2018, 08:43 AM

2,269 posts, read 1,643,085 times
OP has it right in my opinion. News people on TV think they’re celebrities first and they can’t seem to resist spouting off their 2 cents about every little thing. If they would just be professionals, stick to simply reporting the facts, they’d all be fine. Everybody wants their 15 minutes. It is very difficult to find ANY source that simply reports facts as they are known at the time.

Old 11-01-2018, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesLucid View Post
OP has it right in my opinion. News people on TV think they’re celebrities first and they can’t seem to resist spouting off their 2 cents about every little thing. If they would just be professionals, stick to simply reporting the facts, they’d all be fine. Everybody wants their 15 minutes. It is very difficult to find ANY source that simply reports facts as they are known at the time.

I agree with the essence of your message...but Megan WAS a celebrity, and that's why she was hired by NBC.

I DO think she was probably a little full of herself though.

Old 11-01-2018, 11:00 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,521,352 times
You're a Trump supporter. You hire a guy to cut your lawn. He shows up wearing an "Impeach Trump" t-shirt. Do you keep him in your employ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates