Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 02:03 PM

2 posts, read 16,606 times

Advertisements

I live in an OLD (not new construction) Rogers Park condo.

I've lived in Rogers Park for 10 years.

The building east of me is a very nice apartment complex.

The tenants there are black, white, hispanic, asian ... a pretty even mix by most comparisons.

All of the tenants there are polite and respectful, except for one family.

The building manager opted to rent one of the rear, west alley units to a section-8 family with three kids.

This doesn't bother me in the least.

What bothers me is that they scream, swear, and damage nearby property while the wheelchair semi-bound (he can walk) father sells crack to ghetto thugs out front.

Basically, at least 5 times (no joke) EVERY DAY I hear the bellowing sound of a rude woman threatening to beat her children.

Her children don't have keys to the back gate and have picked up her habit of making sure they're loud enough to get someone else to let them in.

All of this is happening while the father hands off another bag of crack to a pack of would-be thugs out front who have zero qualms about giving every woman who lives on our block a once-over while they try to get through the pack to the front door of their home.

I know this because my wife is one of them.

Plant a bed of flowers. Put a massive pile of feces in the middle of it that is visible from all angles. That's what this is.

This drug-dealing, loud mouth pair of human failures with children who COULD become wonderful but likely won't, sticks out like sore thumb and yet the cops never do anything about it.

WHAT CAN I DO TO RESOLVE THE FRUSTRATION THAT MY ENTIRE BLOCK OF ANY GIVEN RACE FEELS?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2008, 02:06 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,102,964 times
Why don't you call the cops every time you see this happening? Make life miserable for them long enough, eventually they'll move to a place where people don't care.

Old 05-05-2008, 02:07 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,611,075 times
I would become a thorn in the side of your landlord, the police and your alderman until you annoy one of them enough that something happens. Call them once or more a day every day until someone does something. I feel like it's best to avoid confrontation with those types of neighbors- no good can come from you getting on your bad side, but you still have to do something.

Old 05-05-2008, 04:06 PM

2,686 posts, read 7,868,329 times
Default Citizen Arrest?

Does citizen arrest exist in Chicago?

I would certainly not want to get involved with some drug dealer. Calling the cops has gotten me in enough trouble with a few thugs threatening me and what not.

Also, arresting some thug I would need a firearm and I am sure the Chicago PD would not be thrilled with me having more than my allowed 12-gauge or rifle. Most of my friends who reside in the city who are from rural areas do have firearms, most not registered, particularly the handguns, which are usually housed with the safety on in a night stand.

Personally, I do not have a handgun for liability reasons but do understand if someone does to protect themselves, regardless of what the law says.

What would happen if I were to find some guy dealing drugs on my property and hold him at gunpoint (rifle or shotgun legally registered) until the police arrived? Clearly, I would not make friends with the local drug dealers but would there be any legal consequences so long as my firearm were registered?

I wouldn't do this of course as it would be just too much trouble. My shotgun is reserved for shooting people dumb enough to try to break into my living area in my building.

Old 05-05-2008, 04:19 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,312,310 times
Check out the following link. There's an "Anonymous Crime Reporting Hotline" number given where you can report crimes, such as drug dealing, anonymously.

Chicago Crime Commission

Old 05-05-2008, 05:46 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,776,941 times
Two words: "Hired Thugs". I have a friend in Rogers Park who is 6'-8" tall and is built like an NFL linebacker...

Old 05-05-2008, 08:16 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,597,919 times
Uhh call the cops?

You have lived in Rogers Park for 10 years and this is the first drug dealer you have seen?!

If it is not, this would explain why Rogers Park is having a tough time getting rid of drugs.

Old 05-05-2008, 10:03 PM

2 posts, read 16,606 times
I do call the cops. In fact, I recently called a narcotics officer. Although patrol officers have searched and found drugs on his customers while they were loitering out in front, they aren't really getting to the source.

Meanwhile, his "other half" (ignorant, loud-mouthed wife) only screams at her ignorant, loud-mouthed children in short, 60 second bursts. By the time the cops arrive, there's nothing to see.

I do also call the police whenever their kids are playing football in the back alley and leaning on other building's parked cars.

The family I'm referring to lives
Spoiler
at 1428 W. Farwell Ave. in one of the North-West units (West side of building, toward the alley).

I'm hoping others will chime in and voice their frustrations as well as advise me on who to notify regarding their gross negligence.

Last edited by linicx; 09-29-2010 at 11:57 AM..

Old 05-05-2008, 10:33 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,454,222 times
You've got about the best advice you're going to get -- call the cops when they act up. You really can't teach manners to people like this, so there's not much else you can do. To hire an ex-NFL linebacker to knock them into next Tuesday like in those Comcast commercials with Brian Urlacher would probably make you feel better, but wouldn't do a lick to change their behavior.

Old 05-05-2008, 10:47 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,286,380 times
Default Cover all your bases

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkMan View Post
I live in an OLD (not new construction) Rogers Park condo.

I've lived in Rogers Park for 10 years.

The building east of me is a very nice apartment complex.

The tenants there are black, white, hispanic, asian ... a pretty even mix by most comparisons.

All of the tenants there are polite and respectful, except for one family.

The building manager opted to rent one of the rear, west alley units to a section-8 family with three kids.

This doesn't bother me in the least.

What bothers me is that they scream, swear, and damage nearby property while the wheelchair semi-bound (he can walk) father sells crack to ghetto thugs out front.

Basically, at least 5 times (no joke) EVERY DAY I hear the bellowing sound of a rude woman threatening to beat her children.

Her children don't have keys to the back gate and have picked up her habit of making sure they're loud enough to get someone else to let them in.

All of this is happening while the father hands off another bag of crack to a pack of would-be thugs out front who have zero qualms about giving every woman who lives on our block a once-over while they try to get through the pack to the front door of their home.

I know this because my wife is one of them.

Plant a bed of flowers. Put a massive pile of feces in the middle of it that is visible from all angles. That's what this is.

This drug-dealing, loud mouth pair of human failures with children who COULD become wonderful but likely won't, sticks out like sore thumb and yet the cops never do anything about it.

WHAT CAN I DO TO RESOLVE THE FRUSTRATION THAT MY ENTIRE BLOCK OF ANY GIVEN RACE FEELS?
I've had similar problems with neighbors like this. They were also section 8 tenants, big surprise. The best solution is a 2 prong approach. Call the police repeatedly, like every time they committing a crime. Inform the landlord of the activities, anonymously if you prefer. Under a city ordinance a landlord can be held responsible for a tenants illegal activities if they ignore them. If the landlord does not take action, call the city inspector on the guy. If these tenants are as bad as you say they are, I'm sure they've damaged the apartment. Once the city inspectors come, they will cite the landlord for the violations. The landlord at which point will become aware of the damages caused by his tenants. At this point its up to him what he wants to do, 90% of landlords will evict a tenant who has caused damages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago