Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 09:07 AM

2,686 posts, read 7,871,502 times

Advertisements

It will take the landlord months to evict those kind of people. It took me 4 months to evict my crap tenants and I won in court on every motion. If they are Sec 8 it will take even longer.

Where I am at I have developed good relations with some of the Puerto Ricans who don't like people dealing on our street. In our area it is mostly black people who are dealing, though I have seen some Puerto Ricans and Mexicans dealing (mostly Puerto Rican). Right or wrong, I use the Puerto Ricans to keep the drug dealers in line. I don't ask and they don't tell how they do it.

One of the guys I know is part of the Latin Kings and one of their more senior guys (he has 10 investment properties and is 40 years old, very street smart guy). I don't get too close to him but let him know whenever I see someone standing on the corner on my block and usually the problem goes away. I am not saying he is a saint, but he has family on the block and doesn't want them affected by this. I am guessing he just tells the guys dealing to go a few blocks over or take it inside, which suits me just fine. It would be better to see the drugs go away completely, but out of sight and out of mind is the best I am going to get, especially living in Humboldt Park.

Also, call the police repeatedly, even when you think they might be committing a crime. Eventually, they will mess up and have some of the drugs on them. You should also call child protective services for child abuse on the woman, that may do more good than anything else. I got much further with calling child protective services than calling for my tenants smoking marijuana making noise at all hours of the night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2010, 07:47 AM

1 posts, read 1,670 times
Do not feel bad you are not alone in the fight for a safe comfortable place to live.
II don't really know how to handle the situation. Recently we moved into what seemed to be a great find in an area that was the hot spot to be living and for what I do (I'm a musician) for me to get to my gigs easier. Well its quit obvious what our neighbor does for a living we can hear through the walls as if standing in the room directly listening. He is this young man that look like a kid, untl you get closer to his face he looks like he is an old man, probably due to doing as much drugs as he sales. We hear him and his girlfriend argue and fight regularly. There are people coming around at all hours of the day and night, mostly "sneaking" in and out not wanting to draw attention. Now looking at the building it seems out of place. The back door you can not get in nor out of, lights in the building hallways subduedly,, Back entry of the building becoming a dump garbage just thrown down the stairs packing boxes have ben accumilating. and smells of urine the secuity is a burden you can no more of of a joke i guess.

Old 09-29-2010, 10:16 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,264,657 times
What about organizing your neighbors to complain about the problems as well? If it is many complaining about the problem instead of the few, it will make the "wheel squeek much louder"

Old 09-29-2010, 11:43 AM

2,686 posts, read 7,871,502 times
Just call up a cop buddy and have them handle this loser. Your CAPs person should be able to help if you do not know anyone.

Old 09-29-2010, 12:04 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,265,438 times
Child abuse; child welfare; child neglect; drugs in the house, etc.. Keep reporting it.

Child Abuse Prevention Servic… · (312) 427-1161
600 S Federal St · Chicago

Old 09-29-2010, 08:57 PM

226 posts, read 382,082 times
^I was just going to recommend calling social services regarding the children being raised in an environment like that.

Old 09-30-2010, 12:23 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,879,802 times
Actually, what you really need to do is find out how/where you can set up a video camera.

I have a neighbor who got a section 8 building (2-flat) cleared out that way - get video evidence, bring it to your local CAPS meeting, and get a copy to your alderman - you basically need to embarrass CPD to make this a priority.

Old 09-30-2010, 08:53 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Thread is 2 years old.

Old 10-01-2010, 09:07 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,264,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Thread is 2 years old.
Caffeine must be defective.

Old 10-01-2010, 10:47 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,184,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Two words: "Hired Thugs". I have a friend in Rogers Park who is 6'-8" tall and is built like an NFL linebacker...
That's all good but 12 y/o thugs carry 357's....can your big friend stop a 357?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago