Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2020, 08:03 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
Arizona just approved a 77% increase on state income tax above $250k, so say goodbye to a large chunk of wealthy retirees. Florida there they go.
But retirees can be rich and not have that defined in terms of taxable "income" so there's that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2020, 09:13 AM

4,949 posts, read 3,055,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly Q. Bobalink View Post
I've always used Wisconsin as an example of a well (at least better) run state, you can see it in the quality of their roads

As much as I've complained about the roads here, Wisconsin hasn't rated higher in quite some time:
https://reason.org/policy-study/24th...ighway-report/

Old 11-08-2020, 09:37 AM

3,208 posts, read 3,551,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DamenVChicago View Post
Trump *attempted* to have a rally in Chicago in early 2016. Needless to say, it ended up getting shut down before even starting from protests.
That rally was set to take place days before the 2016 presidential primary here.

Pence did end up having a private fundraising event as well as a rally-like event in Rosemont in 2018, both of which I attended. His appearance was geared toward fundraising and raising enthusiasm for local congressional Republicans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
But retirees can be rich and not have that defined in terms of taxable "income" so there's that.
The wealthiest retirees live by the 4% rule, and those individuals are more likely to be caught by the tax increase. Anyway, who is going to pay 8% of their income to live in 105 degrees?

Old 11-08-2020, 09:07 PM

3,154 posts, read 2,068,954 times
Cook County went 75% for Biden, so considering it has about half the state's population, then "Yeah, we're a blue state".

Old 11-10-2020, 05:11 PM

9,981 posts, read 5,681,961 times
Even Kane and DeKalb Counties have turned blue. Jim Oberweis should have trounced that one-term dilettante, though maybe he would have had he been anyone other than Jim Oberweis. That said, Not too long ago you couldn't find a Democrat anywhere in Kane County unless it was someone from the city out on a weekend antiquing excursion. Maybe the university accounts for DeKalb's blue streak, just as most blue patches downstate are university areas.

That said I take some comfort in seeing the tax swindle get shot down by a convincing margin and Dick Dirtbag getting barely half the vote in his 58th re-election bid.

Old 11-11-2020, 06:53 PM

720 posts, read 1,084,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
Even Kane and DeKalb Counties have turned blue. Jim Oberweis should have trounced that one-term dilettante, though maybe he would have had he been anyone other than Jim Oberweis. That said, Not too long ago you couldn't find a Democrat anywhere in Kane County unless it was someone from the city out on a weekend antiquing excursion. Maybe the university accounts for DeKalb's blue streak, just as most blue patches downstate are university areas.

That said I take some comfort in seeing the tax swindle get shot down by a convincing margin and Dick Dirtbag getting barely half the vote in his 58th re-election bid.
Kane County has gone to the Dems county-wide too. The Bush Republicans of the Tri-Cities have all turned into limousine liberals. If they had picked anyone except Oberweis, I would think they could have crushed the fake nurse easily though, since she votes to the extreme left of her constituency. Perhaps next time!

Old 11-11-2020, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aga412 View Post
Kane County has gone to the Dems county-wide too. The Bush Republicans of the Tri-Cities have all turned into limousine liberals. If they had picked anyone except Oberweis, I would think they could have crushed the fake nurse easily though, since she votes to the extreme left of her constituency. Perhaps next time!
Why does the party keep picking that gadfly to run anyway? Is he buying his nominations with his milk money or something?

Old 11-12-2020, 05:56 AM

3,154 posts, read 2,068,954 times
Quote:
Why does the party keep picking that gadfly to run anyway? Is he buying his nominations with his milk money or something?
I think it's more that he is picking himself. In many IL races, the R party doesn't want to pay for a candidate because it's a foregone conclusion they're going to get trounced anyway. After all, Cook County DID just re-elect Kim Foxx, who woulda thunk that? The exceptions are folks like Rauner and Ober-Weis-Kenobe, who will pony up the bucks to fund their own campaigns. Not sure why he wants public office so badly, maybe he just feels it's his "destiny" or something.

Old 11-12-2020, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly Q. Bobalink View Post
I think it's more that he is picking himself. In many IL races, the R party doesn't want to pay for a candidate because it's a foregone conclusion they're going to get trounced anyway. After all, Cook County DID just re-elect Kim Foxx, who woulda thunk that? The exceptions are folks like Rauner and Ober-Weis-Kenobe, who will pony up the bucks to fund their own campaigns. Not sure why he wants public office so badly, maybe he just feels it's his "destiny" or something.
The 14th district is anything but a foregone conclusion as evidenced by the fact the race still hasn't been called. In more "normal" political times it would probably still even be a Republican-leaning district, and for sure it's one of the few competitive districts left in this state worth having the party spend its money on. If it's unwilling to do that, then it deserves to go extinct in this state. In fact at this point it's hard to conclude anything else than the IL GOP has accepted its face and is simply managing its own decline.

No wonder so many sane people are fleeing to Indiana and the sun belt.

Old 11-12-2020, 09:07 AM

720 posts, read 1,084,772 times
Quote:
The 14th district is anything but a foregone conclusion as evidenced by the fact the race still hasn't been called. In more "normal" political times it would probably still even be a Republican-leaning district, and for sure it's one of the few competitive districts left in this state worth having the party spend its money on. If it's unwilling to do that, then it deserves to go extinct in this state. In fact at this point it's hard to conclude anything else than the IL GOP has accepted its face and is simply managing its own decline.

No wonder so many sane people are fleeing to Indiana and the sun belt.
There was also a crowded primary (7 people or something) and Oberweis barely squeaked out of it - he only beat Sue Rezin by a percent, or maybe even less. I think people only voted for him because of name recognition (the McHenry/Lake part of the district handed it to him from my analysis, whereas Kane/Will/DuPage are more familiar with his antics). Hardly an affirmation from the voters in that district that they even really wanted him as the nominee.

I think this is his seventh race and he's only won one of them (state senate, where he was doing pretty well). I think it's time he hangs up his hat and sticks to ice cream.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago