Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 12:43 PM

16 posts, read 24,569 times

Advertisements

Hi:

I've searched on this forum in the neighborhoods, and have gotten some good pointers. Still, wondering if some of you can point me in a good direction...

I'm 37, single, and moving to Chicago this summer to start a doctorate program in the fall. I'd like to be in the $800 range, but would go up to $900 depending on utilities included. I currently have a cat (definately coming with) and two dogs on the small-medium size that are not barkers or yappers. Considering re-homing the one dog and bringing the lab/cocker mix (she's super friendly, about 40lbs). Not bringing a car.

Best, safest areas for me?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2008, 12:48 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
What school? Northwestern Evanston? Loyola Lakeshore? Michigan Ave? NorthPark? Northeastern? DePaul? UIC? UofC? Lots of options. Price gives some flexibility...

Old 04-22-2008, 12:50 PM

16 posts, read 24,569 times
Chicago School of Professional Psychology, on N. Wells at the Merchandise Mart.

Old 04-22-2008, 01:08 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Transportation into the Loop is excellent -- you can have your pick of City neighborhoods. $900 is a good starting point, especially if you are going to have two pets. Might want to consider a place close to parks and/or a has its own yard... Many many options.

Old 04-22-2008, 01:55 PM

2,467 posts, read 12,247,610 times
I would consider someplace in West Lakeview, as there is a dog park, it's on the brown line, and lots of dog friendly apts

Old 04-24-2008, 08:11 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times
It will be hard to find a place that allows a more than two animals. Especially if a dog is involved. I wish you luck.

Old 04-24-2008, 09:06 PM

440 posts, read 1,502,622 times
Start in River North, close to where you'll be commuting to every day, and work you way out from there.

People recommending long commutes (West Lakeview, WTF??? 45 minutes on the best day of your life) are giving you strange advice.

Stick with what is near, and only move far from there if you absolutely need to. This city is too big to deal with long commutes, there is no ABSOLUTELY NO REASON to deal with them unless you enjoy it. Especially if your place of employment is downtown.

Old 04-28-2008, 12:40 PM

2,467 posts, read 12,247,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NearWestSider View Post
Start in River North, close to where you'll be commuting to every day, and work you way out from there.

People recommending long commutes (West Lakeview, WTF??? 45 minutes on the best day of your life) are giving you strange advice.

Stick with what is near, and only move far from there if you absolutely need to. This city is too big to deal with long commutes, there is no ABSOLUTELY NO REASON to deal with them unless you enjoy it. Especially if your place of employment is downtown.
Well, on the brown line in West Lakeview, you are not really looking at 45 minutes. My suggestion is based on the fact that she wants 1) cheaper rent, 2) has multiple animals, and 3) would be on in the brown line.

Old 04-28-2008, 01:08 PM

11 posts, read 50,996 times
I'd look in North Center near the Addison Brown Line stop. It would be about 30 minutes to the mart on the brown line, and you'd be near Lakeview and Roscoe Village, without having to pay those prices. There are lots of dogs in that neighborhood, and I have had at least two friends who managed to find dog-friendly apartments over there. Good luck!

Old 04-28-2008, 07:09 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wburbs View Post
I'd look in North Center near the Addison Brown Line stop. It would be about 30 minutes to the mart on the brown line, and you'd be near Lakeview and Roscoe Village, without having to pay those prices. There are lots of dogs in that neighborhood, and I have had at least two friends who managed to find dog-friendly apartments over there. Good luck!
Or near the Damen or Irving stop would be good too for that matter. There are far more apartment buildings near those stops then the Addison stop.

Although IP and Damen are closed for the moment for reconstruction,I believe both will be open again by the end of the year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago