Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2013, 09:47 AM

6 posts, read 11,781 times

Advertisements

I was recently in Chicago for a convention and fell in loooooove with the city: the architecture, the transportation, the food, the diversity, and let me just say, the men. No matter if I was getting on a bus or going into a bar, whether they were 17 and had dreadlocks or 70 and using a cane, they were so damn chivalrous it knocked my socks off. It was, "After you, miss" here and, "Let me get that door for you there." I've lived in Denver, Boulder, Salt Lake, and Lisbon and in none of those cities did I ever feel that amount of courtesy, which was later explained to me as being Mid-western hospitality.

There are a lot of career opportunities for me in Chicago in my field, and I would like some perspective, especially from the señoritas, as to how the dating scene is. I am growing a bit tired of how both men and women want to date forever without ever really making an actual connection that leads to marriage. I do want to find the right guy and get married, but I realize that moving to a big city might make that a little harder, at least that´s what my friends who´ve lived in DC and Manhatten tell me. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2013, 11:36 AM

3,118 posts, read 5,361,662 times
We'll you were probably downtown. I have never found chicago chivalrous in any way. Nits quite the oppose IMO. Most women don't even want guys to be that way that I've dated.

And yes, there is no rush to get married here, even if you are in your 30's. But the good thing about that is that there are still quality single people in their 30's here to date. You don't have to feel like you missed the boat.

Old 11-24-2013, 03:32 PM

596 posts, read 822,136 times
I am guessing the OP has large breasts

Old 11-24-2013, 07:41 PM

35 posts, read 71,228 times
I'm originally from Boulder myself. I don't find people in Chicago to be noticeably different in terms of hospitality or chivalry. Chicago has a much bigger pool of businesses, law firms, professional services, etc... so IMHO it's a bit easier here to meet men with good careers than it is in Colorado.

Old 11-24-2013, 08:01 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,958,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by probablyimnotsure View Post
LOL we laugh but there's probably some truth to this and/or the OP is good looking. There are definitely guys here who will do that stuff for the good looking/hot woman more than just an average woman. I see it all the time in some neighborhoods (I'm a guy but I notice these things).

Old 11-24-2013, 10:43 PM

64 posts, read 122,629 times
Chicago is in the Midwest. But it's also kinda out on it's own. The culture here is quite different than most places in the Midwest.

Old 11-25-2013, 01:48 AM

3,421 posts, read 5,225,297 times
Marothisu, you guys may have a point that the OP's looks may have something to do with her experience.

Not to toot my own horn but I'm a bit "ample" up top, I'm slim and I have an attractive face (so I'm told lol).

I recognize that whether I'm in Chicago or Atlanta, men go out their way to be nice or chivalrous to me because of what I look like--even giving me things at a discount or for free when I'm out shopping or doing business. Last time I was in Chicago, I went into a convenience store to buy bottled waters, the attendent gave me the water for free. I rented a car for the weekend and the clerk gave me a higher grade car for the price of a lower grade one. When I bought my car, the salesman like me so he took $2300 off the price. Things like this happen to me all the time.

However, I definitely see what the OP is talking about. I have traditional views when it comes to dating. I'm pretty old-fashioned and I have to say, Chicago men appeal to my old-fashioned sensibilities more.

When it comes to dating, let me also say that southern hospotality is a bunch of BS! When it comes to dating, I find that Chicago men are much more chivalrous than the men in Atlanta in my experience. Now I can't speak of what the current dating scene is like for the OP since I don't live there anymore, but as a native Chicagoan and a woman, I agree with the OP that Chicago men are definitely more chivalrous.

You have a point that looks influence how men treat women, but I grew up and I lived my life in Chicago seeing men be helpful to women regardless of what they look like, simply being courteous.

Old 11-25-2013, 07:01 AM

1,520 posts, read 2,578,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by probablyimnotsure View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
LOL we laugh but there's probably some truth to this and/or the OP is good looking. There are definitely guys here who will do that stuff for the good looking/hot woman more than just an average woman. I see it all the time in some neighborhoods (I'm a guy but I notice these things).

typical misogynist CD Chicago posts, so trashy

Old 11-25-2013, 07:53 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,958,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleking View Post
typical misogynist CD Chicago posts, so trashy
So misogyny is now pointing out that you've witnessed many times this happening with guys basically favoring good looking women in everyday life? Oh, so I guess it's misogyny now to point out that you see good looking women in clubs getting more free drinks from guys than other women. Perhaps now it's called "prejudice" when you go to a country and you make an observation that some group of people is being treated more poorly than another. Please, it's a ****ing observation, not a call to action.

I think you're confusing what is being witnessed with someone actually stating they take part in it. I never said I partake in that (and I don't since looks are natural and it's stupid to favor or not favor them for a menial thing like opening a door because of something natural). All I did was state what I observe in everyday life. If that's misogyny, then people who simply observe anything in life should be called whatever they're observing. No, that's not what it is. You don't become something just because you observe it. It doesn't mean you're taking the action of the doer, as the observer. ****ing get over yourself.

Last edited by marothisu; 11-25-2013 at 08:04 AM..

Old 11-25-2013, 08:43 AM

64 posts, read 122,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
so misogyny is now pointing out that you've witnessed many times this happening with guys basically favoring good looking women in everyday life? Oh, so i guess it's misogyny now to point out that you see good looking women in clubs getting more free drinks from guys than other women. Perhaps now it's called "prejudice" when you go to a country and you make an observation that some group of people is being treated more poorly than another. Please, it's a ****ing observation, not a call to action.

I think you're confusing what is being witnessed with someone actually stating they take part in it. I never said i partake in that (and i don't since looks are natural and it's stupid to favor or not favor them for a menial thing like opening a door because of something natural). All i did was state what i observe in everyday life. If that's misogyny, then people who simply observe anything in life should be called whatever they're observing. No, that's not what it is. You don't become something just because you observe it. It doesn't mean you're taking the action of the doer, as the observer. ****ing get over yourself.
that's deep...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago