Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 02:01 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times

Advertisements

You know what... never mind.

To the OP: don't take the word of someone who did the commute for years and was actually willing to take the time to verify his claim. Instead, take the word of someone who doesn't live anywhere near the neighborhood that has been recommended to you: The commute is SO burdensome that you shouldn't consider living there. Never mind the scores of thousands of people who fill the trains every day from that neighborhood and beyond who obviously find the commute perfectly manageable, or the fact that that said neighborhoods continue to gain population as more and more people also find the commute to be perfectly manageable. It will take you so long to get to school and back that you'll never ever have time to do anything else. So be sure to only look for a place that is right next to your school so you don't have to commute at all. Oh, and I hope you have $1400/mo to spend on an apartment so that you don't have to commute.

I'm done with this nonsense.

Last edited by Drover; 05-02-2008 at 02:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2008, 02:46 PM

440 posts, read 1,502,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
This is the most inane, worthless thing I have ever read. I say this not as a moderator, but rather a human. Some people may feel the need to argue about every mundane detail, but I'm not sure how this helps the OP...

Anyway, the point remains the OP can not afford River North as you suggested. So where do you suggest she live that is a shorter commute but still matches all her criteria? If you've got something, feel free to share.
Thanks for the kind word. I find a lot of the stuff you post to be pretty "worthless", too.

Assuming you've actually been following this insanity, Drover told me he had no "earthly reason how" I came up with 45 minutes, so I gave him the numbers. Drover now has the CTA train schedules, so if he is still not satisfied, he can take up his 16 minute train ride with the CTA board. I have nothing more to say on the subject.

As for where the OP could live, there are neighborhoods down Grand, along Hubbard, possibly even Chicago Avenue. All are a heck of a lot closer to River North than Lakeview High School is. Taylor Street is closer. West Loop is closer. Even Pilsen is closer. That's why my recommendation is to start close to where she needs to be every day and work out from there. At some point the person will find an acceptable compromise between price, neighborhood, and proximity.

Old 05-02-2008, 03:13 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,623,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NearWestSider View Post
I have nothing more to say on the subject.
Somehow I doubt that.

Old 05-02-2008, 04:07 PM

2,467 posts, read 12,247,610 times
So, let's stop fighting and actually help the OP.....

Although she probably has had enough!

As a dog owner, I would highly recommend finding a place near a dog park as well. I already gave you my suggestion (I don't dare bring up West Lakeview again) however, I will say that "my suggestion" is in your price range and has a dog park. If I helps, I'll tell you that I may have a job in the merchandise mart in August, and, if I do, I personally will be moving back to my old neighborhood, West Lakeview, Paulina el stop because it's well priced, on the brown line, and I have pets.

OK, I'm done, unless you need me to moderate!!

Old 07-04-2008, 03:12 PM

16 posts, read 24,569 times
Talking OP found place

Wow, that's quite a thread! I found a place in Edgewater, one block to the Grandville station and 3 blocks to the lake (which is a big deal for me). I always used River North in my searches, along with Lakeview, Wrigleyville, Lincoln Park and Square. It was challenging to find a place that would allow 2 dogs (no one seems to care much about the cat). I settled on this place in Edgewater - it's a HUGE one bedroom with a formal dining room and a sunroom, heat inlcued for $895. No extra fee for the pets, no pet deposit, didn't even ask me to specify what and how many animals were coming with me. I feel I did good. And the Saturday I came out to see it, the Red Line was running on the Brown Line (what is THAT! And does it happen often) and even then it only took 30 mins to get from the Loop to Grandville. I'd have preferred to be on the Brown Line for school commuting, but the school gives me a UPass, so I'll get the transfer at Belmont and it'll be all good. I obviously favor walking to the lake over which train line I'm on, it's a big deal to me. I'd have been tickled to find something in River North that I could afford, but I'm pretty pleased with my find. Thanks so much you guys!

Old 07-04-2008, 07:34 PM

3,631 posts, read 10,234,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMK171 View Post
And the Saturday I came out to see it, the Red Line was running on the Brown Line (what is THAT! And does it happen often) and even then it only took 30 mins to get from the Loop to Grandville.
it happens most nights and weekends because of construction in the subway. a little confusing, but you get used to it.

Old 07-07-2008, 02:18 PM

391 posts, read 1,303,250 times
Yeah that stupid redline on brownline tracks during weekends drives me nuts. Ive chewed out cta managers more than once for it. That and the stupid making the redlline train im on turn into express at wilson, forcing me to get off and wait for next redline heading north. Drives me absolutely bonkers. When I aint got a time deadline, Ive takin to walk to LP or even downtown from my place on thorndale and sheridan, instead of usin the CTA, just to avoid the aggrevation lol. Let me tell ya, thats quite a nice little walk there along the shoreline walking path. (I dont recommend it unless you have no need to be anywhere at a particular time, and pray it dont rain, cause theres no shelter almost the whole way).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago