Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2008, 07:50 PM

2,686 posts, read 7,871,502 times

Advertisements

Noid,

A lot of great insights. I will address only Humboldt Park and East Garfield as I know those as well as any on this board.

North of grand in humboldt park is more like western logan to the north. South of grand is more like east garfield park and west grafield park to the south. Humboldt Park's northern half is way better than almost all of East Garfield Park as it has retained its housing stock and was not burned out in 1968. East Garfield Park certainly has potential (don't even think of quoting that business week article ranking it 2nd best area for appreciation) but is 5-10 years behind its neighbor humboldt park with regards to gentrification. Logan Square is 5-10 years ahead of Humboldt Park.

Generally, east of pulaski it is not getting worse but slightly better, but it will take time to see any major improvements. I think west of cicero north of fullerton it will continue to get slightly worse.

Austin is much worse than a 7, probably a 9 or 10. No way austin is as safe as humboldt park. I challenge you to walk by yourself unarmed at night south of north avenue between austin and central without having problems. You can do this safely north of grand avenue in humboldt park (though not naperville safe).

Franklin Park is slightly safer than Melrose Park (my ex lives in Leyden township between the two so I know what I am talking about here). Maywood has too many spillover effect on Melrose Park. I also work out at the ballys in Melrose almost every day and know this area well and have seen the quality of the members diminish over the past 5 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2008, 07:42 AM

4,079 posts, read 10,395,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humboldt1 View Post
Noid,

Austin is much worse than a 7, probably a 9 or 10. No way austin is as safe as humboldt park. I challenge you to walk by yourself unarmed at night south of north avenue between austin and central without having problems. You can do this safely north of grand avenue in humboldt park (though not naperville safe).
Yeah, I thought about again, I think Austin is at least an 8. Anything east of Central and south of North Ave. is dangerous (although there are some good blocks). I used to live in this area on Bloomingdale and Long for 5 years and I never had a problem. I was aware of the gang problems and shootings that occured but I never caused any mischief.

As for your challenge, I've already accomplished that On July 3rd 2006 I had to walk from the Blue Line (290) up Cicero to North Ave. at 3am because the train wasn't going any farther than Cicero. Yes, I was scared but who wouldn't be.

Last edited by noid_1985; 07-06-2008 at 08:26 AM..

Old 07-06-2008, 10:27 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,792,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noid_1985 View Post
Yeah, I thought about again, I think Austin is at least an 8. Anything east of Central and south of North Ave. is dangerous (although there are some good blocks). I used to live in this area on Bloomingdale and Long for 5 years and I never had a problem. I was aware of the gang problems and shootings that occured but I never caused any mischief.

As for your challenge, I've already accomplished that On July 3rd 2006 I had to walk from the Blue Line (290) up Cicero to North Ave. at 3am because the train wasn't going any farther than Cicero. Yes, I was scared but who wouldn't be.
Hmmm... I think I would have stayed on the train until it turned around. Anyone on those streets at 3AM isn't anyone I'd want to run into. But at least Cicero is a busy street.

Old 07-07-2008, 10:36 AM

Default Cicero to North Avenue

Well, if you were in the market for drugs or sex that would be the place to be. Of course, they would probably rob you before selling you any of their services or goods.

This is a true story. I have a farmer buddy from Indiana and he wanted to see the worst areas of Chicago. My ex-girlfriend (born in Humboldt Park) and I took him from the 290 to North Avenue along Cicero.

She is from a rough background and knew many of the places where the pimps and their girls hung out and pointed out various drug dealers and pimps as we drove by. We did not stop.

This was 3 years ago.

Now, I routinely drive up and down Cicero, usually during the day, sometimes at night (I typically take Independence exit as it just is faster). When my friends from the burbs come to the city I have them take Cicero as I feel it is safer, being a major street. Yes, you see things every now and then but as long as you are in the car and keep moving you are fine. I honestly believe the area is getting better, but it is still pretty bad. It is certainly better (only slightly) than 3 years ago. The pimps, prostitutes and drug dealers are still there, just less obvious and less out in the open, probably because of better police patrols. Still, not an area I would walk. Drive yes, but walk no.

Also, in areas such as this when I drive whenever I am stopped at a light or stop sign I always give myself at least half a car length in front or to one side so that I can pull out should someone ever walk up to me to rob me. This is just common sense in this type of area. You never want to be pinned in while driving in these kind of areas.

Old 07-07-2008, 11:08 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,953,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humboldt1 View Post
Also, in areas such as this when I drive whenever I am stopped at a light or stop sign I always give myself at least half a car length in front or to one side so that I can pull out should someone ever walk up to me to rob me. This is just common sense in this type of area. You never want to be pinned in while driving in these kind of areas.
Good point, I find myself doing this (mostly unconsciously) as well. On the other hand, I've never heard of someone in a non-parked car being a robbery victim while on a major (busy) street.

Old 07-07-2008, 11:13 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,792,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sukwoo View Post
Good point, I find myself doing this (mostly unconsciously) as well. On the other hand, I've never heard of someone in a non-parked car being a robbery victim while on a major (busy) street.
That's an issue in Oak Park. If you want to avoid the Ike on your way into Chicago, North Avenue and Chicago Avenue can be a pretty hairy. Roosevelt Road seems less so somehow... I know a guy who bikes in to work on Chicago Avenue from Oak Park every day, and that seems nuts to me. But alas, he's still doing it and hasn't been robbed yet...

Old 07-07-2008, 12:45 PM

Default Sukwoo

My pastor was stopped at Lake and Pulaski a few years back and one of the local residents tapped his 38 on the window to scare them (group of baptist ministers). I am sure it happens at stoplights at busy intersections more than we realize. Any of those guys who offer to wash your windshield could be possible robbers, though mostly they are just looking for spare change. I always call the cops on them. This is why you never see a windshield wiper in urban gas stations as the bums steal them all.

Old 07-08-2008, 05:16 AM

210 posts, read 1,139,543 times
Default yoooooooh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
For what it's worth, that's because Miami saw a pretty impressive drop in their murder rate while Chicago's stayed the same. Chicago's murder rate has been trending downward. Hopefully Miami's sharp drop is also the start of a trend and not a one-year fluke.
The difference is Miam isn't just one city, it's an entire county. When people say Miami's dangerous they also mean that Opa-Locka is dangerous, Hileah is dangerous, North Miami is dangerous, Miami Gardens is dangerous, Homestead is dangerous, Florida City is dangerous etc. There are very nice areas in Miami-Dade County such as Aventura, Sunny Isles Beach, Coral Gables, and most of Coconut Grove. You don't need to compare the crime rate of Miami the city to Chicago you need to compare the crime rate of Miami-Dade County to Chicago's metro because Miami is surrounded by other cities that vary from beautiful/affluent to third world poverty/dangerous.

Old 07-08-2008, 05:19 AM

4,079 posts, read 10,395,465 times
^ Who's comparing?

Old 07-19-2008, 12:31 PM

2 posts, read 21,895 times
Default Chicago Dangerous

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabry76 View Post
Hello everybody,
I'm about to move to Chicago but I heard a lot of people saying that Chicago is very dangerous and the crime rate is very high. One of the many reasons why I'm leaving Miami to move to Chicago is just the high crime rate in Miami...I don't want to find the same problem over there...
Any advice?

Chicago is probaly the most dangerous city in the us im from there (Englewood) 72nd n dorchester and the 650+ murders a year there would make u want to go backk 2 miami them Black P. Stones and Gangster Disciples dont welcome 2 many people 2 there homes i kno cuz im a GD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago