Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2006, 05:03 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonelychicagoan View Post
sadly, according to Moderator cut: linking to competitors sites is not allowed, chicago's murder rate has just breached past miami's murder rate.
For what it's worth, that's because Miami saw a pretty impressive drop in their murder rate while Chicago's stayed the same. Chicago's murder rate has been trending downward. Hopefully Miami's sharp drop is also the start of a trend and not a one-year fluke.

Last edited by Yac; 01-09-2008 at 06:13 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2006, 09:07 PM

554 posts, read 2,501,494 times
It depends on your neighborhood. Just like all people of the same race aren't the same, all parts of the city aren't the same. The North side is a little more expensive, but is safer than the south side.

Old 12-30-2006, 10:49 AM

1 posts, read 9,153 times
Smile chicago

[quote=gabry76;209690]Hello everybody,
I'm about to move to Chicago but I heard a lot of people saying that Chicago is very dangerous and the crime rate is very high. One of the many reasons why I'm leaving Miami to move to Chicago is just the high crime rate in Miami...I don't want to find the same problem over there...
Any advice?

Chicago is a great place . It has a bunch of awsome features. My family and I
are moving up there this spring,but a little advice for you when you move to
chicago you might want to stay in the northern parts of chicago.And a good
website that you want to go to look for apartments is at www.realtor.com (broken link)
by.

Last edited by missy654; 12-30-2006 at 10:50 AM.. Reason: i want her to like chicago

Old 12-30-2006, 12:57 PM

117 posts, read 507,389 times
The best advice would be to do some research on the 77 different communities in Chicago. While the Southside does experience more crime than the Northside, there are a few SW side neighborhoods(Mount Greenwood, Beverly and Garfield Ridge) that are safer than most of the other neighborhoods on the Southside. As far as the Northside is concerned, the safest neighborhoods tend to be on the far Northwest side (Jefferson Park, Edgebrook, Oriole Park). Living in a suburb might be another possibility.

Old 03-01-2007, 11:25 PM

20 posts, read 90,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown68 View Post
The best advice would be to do some research on the 77 different communities in Chicago. While the Southside does experience more crime than the Northside, there are a few SW side neighborhoods(Mount Greenwood, Beverly and Garfield Ridge) that are safer than most of the other neighborhoods on the Southside. As far as the Northside is concerned, the safest neighborhoods tend to be on the far Northwest side (Jefferson Park, Edgebrook, Oriole Park). Living in a suburb might be another possibility.

I found this fourm trying to do some research on the 77 different neighborhoods. Mostly what I've gotten from google is links to real estate agencies that only say the positive things about each neighborhood. Any suggestions for a more "netual" viewpoint, sharing some of the good and bad points for each one? Based on opinions on this board, I'm probably staying away from the west side and most areas on the south side when we (hopefully) move to Chicagoland this summer.

Old 03-02-2007, 08:31 AM

3,396 posts, read 7,211,251 times
All crimes within the city limits of Chicago can be viewed at:
http://www.chicagocrime.org/

It is very detailed and gives a good overview of neighborhoods, but it still helps to have knowledge of an area from someone who lives there - i.e. there are assaults being reported a block from my house on a regular basis, and they are almost all from the bouncers at 2 bars calling the cops once or twice a week.

Old 03-02-2007, 11:00 AM

3,396 posts, read 7,211,251 times
YoChicago also has some decent guides to neighborhoods:

http://yochicago.com/guides/ChicagoNeighborhoods.php (broken link)

Old 03-02-2007, 11:50 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,460,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jigsaw View Post
I found this fourm trying to do some research on the 77 different neighborhoods. Mostly what I've gotten from google is links to real estate agencies that only say the positive things about each neighborhood. Any suggestions for a more "netual" viewpoint, sharing some of the good and bad points for each one? Based on opinions on this board, I'm probably staying away from the west side and most areas on the south side when we (hopefully) move to Chicagoland this summer.
This Board is a good source for candid information. You should also actually visit the areas. Chicago takes some careful research as some neighborhoods are for all intents and purposes all-white suburbs with low crime while other neighborhoods are third-world poor and very dangerous. That they sometimes border each other adds to the confusion. And some of the 77 neighborhoods have good and bad parts contained within them, further confusing the mix.

A blanket ban on the south and west sides isn't necessary though, unfortunately, that's what most people encourage newcomers to do. That's too bad but it is what it is. There are good south and west side neighborhoods also.

Old 03-02-2007, 04:33 PM

20 posts, read 90,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
This Board is a good source for candid information. You should also actually visit the areas. Chicago takes some careful research as some neighborhoods are for all intents and purposes all-white suburbs with low crime while other neighborhoods are third-world poor and very dangerous. That they sometimes border each other adds to the confusion. And some of the 77 neighborhoods have good and bad parts contained within them, further confusing the mix.

A blanket ban on the south and west sides isn't necessary though, unfortunately, that's what most people encourage newcomers to do. That's too bad but it is what it is. There are good south and west side neighborhoods also.
Thanks to you and to Atrill for the replies. The YoChicigo guide looks like a good source. My wife just came back from a job interview in downtown and we'll know if she got the position by the 17th. Will take a close look at the neighborhoods as soon we know. Personally, I'd be open to good west & south side neighborhoods, as long as it's a good place to raise a family.

Old 03-02-2007, 07:29 PM

9 posts, read 39,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marqueet Park chicago View Post
anybody know of any really good areas to live in on the southwest side my familey and i want to move back there what i mean good is all white
yeah, englewood is great!!!!!my neighbors are millionaires.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago