Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 08:42 PM

1,070 posts, read 2,921,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Furley View Post
Great, you sound very intelligent with all of your "sweeping generalization" talk and "misguided energy this, peace that".....but the fact remains that the west side is a ****hole and the southside minus certain Hyde Park blocks isnt very far behind. Sorry. I dont care how many stats you pull and big words you use to present the stats.....those area suck ass and should be burned and rebuilt.
I know I may be reprimanded for this, but I really hope you learn you will get nowhere in life thinking that way.

I'm very glad I don't know you, and happy that I have spent most of my life on the south side of Chicago. Yes, I've even been to the west side numerous times, and was very pleased and guess what!!!! I didn't get robbed, shot, harassed, or anything else. Like I've mentioned before I am the owner of a nice late model car, and never has it been broken into, stolen or vandalized.

I have had a very happy childhood living in Chicagoland. Beverly, Morgan Park, Washington Heights, etc. are all great places to live south of Hyde Park. How can we forget Mount Greenwood, Chatham, and parts of West Chesterfield.

I hope you can find that happiness sometime in your life. You are spouting nothing but hate, and that kind of talk is not welcomed on C-D, at least as far as I am concerned.

Old 09-15-2009, 09:03 PM

1,912 posts, read 5,448,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bry456 View Post
There's this page on youtube called YoChicago, a real estate company?:
Joe's site is pretty great for getting a feel for new developments, business openings and community projects in areas I would never personally step foot in. YoChicago — New homes, apartments and condos for sale and rent in Chicago

Lots of condo conversion Northside posts to weed through but the interviews are typically excellent and worth the time.

Old 09-16-2009, 08:43 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,888,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deechee View Post
I hope you can find that happiness sometime in your life. You are spouting nothing but hate, and that kind of talk is not welcomed on C-D, at least as far as I am concerned.
Yeah, I have to admit I'm wondering why the moderators let these posts through.

Old 09-16-2009, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
Yeah, I have to admit I'm wondering why the moderators let these posts through.
Agreed. I can't believe he isn't blocked...

Old 09-17-2009, 06:01 PM

3,100 posts, read 3,304,236 times
Pretty much any areas in the Chicagoland area that are, for lack of a better term, mostly black get bashed or immediately mentioned to newbies as places never to go or even consider moving to. I'm from Gary, and the NW Indiana forum is the exact same way.

Old 09-17-2009, 06:02 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,636,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tb4000 View Post
Pretty much any areas in the Chicagoland area that are, for lack of a better term, mostly black get bashed or immediately mentioned to newbies as places never to go or even consider moving to. I'm from Gary, and the NW Indiana forum is the exact same way.
Dude even blacks bash Gary.

Old 09-17-2009, 06:10 PM
ncc

95 posts, read 304,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
I loved the West Side. 45 years ago.

Hmm, I wonder why?? What happened to the west side after the Jews and Italians left?? And why did they leave, when they had 2 beautiful parks (Douglas and Garfield, where my dad used to play)?
Take Washington BLVD to the city and appreciate all the beautiful old homes.

Old 09-18-2009, 08:00 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,271,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncc View Post
Hmm, I wonder why?? What happened to the west side after the Jews and Italians left?? And why did they leave, when they had 2 beautiful parks (Douglas and Garfield, where my dad used to play)?
OK-this may be "touchy", but I am curious. Humboldt Park for example: My parents/aunts & uncles say it was very well kept and safe until the early 60's. Is it uncaring landlords or a different personal/cultural approach to property maintenence that led to burnt out/abandoned buildings and less consistently maintained yards and properties? What causes buildings and sometimes entire blocks to change from well kept to trashy? Truly am not attempting to troll or flame here, just seeking information/knowledge/better understanding.

Old 09-18-2009, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncc View Post
I was at Douglas Park recently. Nice large park, but I felt nervous leaving the area around 9pm.

The park seems to be fine, but (maybe it's just me) the neighborhood is a little uncomfortable for me.

Old 09-18-2009, 01:33 PM

668 posts, read 2,359,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
I think what you're seeing is spillover from Bronzeville to the east where the business district isn't nearly as vital. For all but the most basic services, Bridgeport essentially is Bronzeville's business district. My sense is that Bridgeport's resident AA population is still rather low.
Bridgeport is an Irish ethnic encalve. It's population has always been predominately Irish. I used to grow up there on Morgan and 35th, back in the days of when rednecks and hillbillies were living in the area (yes in the city). Didn't notice anything too business like about the area, especially concerning black folks coming in from Bronzeville. Black folks conducting any business there was about as likely as someone from Lincoln Park conducting business in Garfield. I guess things have changed though. You'll know you're in the heart of Bridgeport when you're in the quiet more residential streets with green grass and it's dotted with little old Irish churches and cathedrals. You'll hardly believe you're on the south side, I can't remember the street cordinants though. No black folks there though I can assure you. But obviously it's alot better now than it was back then. I remember when my parents finally saved up enough money to move from the south side to the "ritzy and affluent" north side... right around the corner from Cabrini in Old Town back in '97. Yeah, yikes, even then that area was like "ooo and aaa" compared to Bridgeport back in 90's. Interesting memories in Bridgeport though.

Last edited by Banx; 09-18-2009 at 01:43 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago