Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2017, 11:26 AM

5,751 posts, read 10,378,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
I actually know a Chad, and he lives in LP, works in real estate, is a good looking preppy Big 10 ex-frat boy with an MBA and bottle bond skinny ex-sorority wife. It's bizarre.

And he drives an Audi, wears Vineyard Vines, isn't intellectually curious, loves sports, and has the typical preppy hairstyle.

He's actually a pretty nice guy, though, Not a d-bag. And his wife certainly isn't named Trixie, though she looks like one.
^^^ I think the above bolded is a key trait of the "Chad" (or "Trixie") along with a drive toward predictability. I know/have hung out with quite a few Chads...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2017, 11:41 AM

2,990 posts, read 5,278,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
^^^ I think the above bolded is a key trait of the "Chad" (or "Trixie") along with a drive toward predictability. I know/have hung out with quite a few Chads...
Ding ding ding... right, in the face of any other substantial differentiator, this is what it's come down to: X group of people are stupid.

I personally have grave doubts as to whether the collective crowd at a Logan Square coffee shop would be anymore well-read or worldly than a Lakeview bar.

As I was thinking about this (ridiculous) subject, something did occur to me: there was a distinct, edgy, DJ-and music-driven nightlife scene in the city in the early-mid 2000s that kind of mirrored NYC-nightlife elitism of the day. If you were 25, running with a certain crowd, and that was your thing, you could have been somewhat justified in thinking you were "cool/in" and everyone else was kind of "lame" for about five minutes.

What happened? IMO like in everything else, the West Coast > East Coast/NYC. Glamorous nightlife vamping out; craft beers and communal dining in. The ubiquity of social media has also probably made it harder to convince people that you are doing anything substantially more interesting than what they're doing.

Is Logan Square "hip" and "edgy"? Not that I can tell; in fact I know a BUNCH of traders who live there.

Wicker Park feels like a yuppie college town.

It's over. Deal.

Old 11-12-2017, 11:42 AM

4,792 posts, read 6,056,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnynonos View Post
Ding ding ding... right, in the face of any other substantial differentiator, this is what it's come down to: X group of people are stupid.

I personally have grave doubts as to whether the collective crowd at a Logan Square coffee shop would be anymore well-read or worldly than a Lakeview bar.

As I was thinking about this (ridiculous) subject, something did occur to me: there was a distinct, edgy, DJ-and music-driven nightlife scene in the city in the early-mid 2000s that kind of mirrored NYC-nightlife elitism of the day. If you were 25, running with a certain crowd, and that was your thing, you could have been somewhat justified in thinking you were "cool/in" and everyone else was kind of "lame" for about five minutes.

What happened? IMO like in everything else, the West Coast > East Coast/NYC. Glamorous nightlife vamping out; craft beers and communal dining in. The ubiquity of social media has also probably made it harder to convince people that you are doing anything substantially more interesting than what they're doing.

Is Logan Square "hip" and "edgy"? Not that I can tell; in fact I know a BUNCH of traders who live there.

Wicker Park feels like a yuppie college town.

It's over. Deal.
So...Chad doesn't exist

Old 11-12-2017, 11:47 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,338,537 times
Quote:
It has nothing to do with "stupid". Intellectually incurious is NOT stupid.

The Chad I know has an MBA from Kellogg. Hardly stupid. But, to him, education is strictly a means to an end. Couldn't care less about Ukraine or global warming or really anything outside of sports, work and family/friends.

Old 11-12-2017, 12:05 PM

Quote:
It has nothing to do with "stupid". Intellectually incurious is NOT stupid.

The Chad I know has an MBA from Kellogg. Hardly stupid. But, to him, education is strictly a means to an end. Couldn't care less about Ukraine or global warming or really anything outside of sports, work and family/friends.
I have literally never met anyone like that in my entire life.

Old 11-12-2017, 12:12 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,338,537 times
Quote:
I have literally never met anyone like that in my entire life.
I know lots of people like that. My sister is like that.

My sister is a medical doctor who went to University of Michigan Medical School, and finished in the top third of her class, but has no knowledge/interest of world events and probably can't find Russia on a map.

Education is means to an end for some. She wanted an upper class lifestyle and got it.

Old 11-12-2017, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
So...Chad doesn't exist
I think people continue to kind of fall into groups to a degree...there are obviously people who are lining up right now to watch the Bears and drink beer all day and those who are heading to an art opening.

I just think the lines have blurred to the point where it's hard to say one group of people is "like this."

It's just society in general. 30 years ago people who drank Heineken were considered horribly pretentious yuppie snobs. Seriously. Your average American had little interest in interesting restaurants; Kyoto and Chi-Chis were, literally, cool ethnic cuisine.

There's been an explosion of information over the last 30, 40 years. Tastes have evolvec tremendously.

Old 11-12-2017, 01:12 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,056,202 times
Quote:
I know lots of people like that. My sister is like that.

My sister is a medical doctor who went to University of Michigan Medical School, and finished in the top third of her class, but has no knowledge/interest of world events and probably can't find Russia on a map.

Education is means to an end for some. She wanted an upper class lifestyle and got it.
Absolutely. Matter of fact I would wager most of Americans are like this. I certainly am.

Old 11-12-2017, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
Absolutely. Matter of fact I would wager most of Americans are like this. I certainly am.
How is it even possible in this day of age to remain uniformed about world events?

Well, then again, I guess half the country did vote for Trump.

I guess I probably have some bias due to the circles in been in my entire life.

Old 11-12-2017, 01:55 PM

2,568 posts, read 2,519,378 times
The only Chad I know of is a hanging Chad on a ballot. Anything else is just silliness!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago