Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2017, 12:00 AM

3,208 posts, read 3,551,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
I feel North Shore names would be a bit more like Adam or David and last names something that ends with stein, man, or burg.
There are very few Jews in Lake Forest, Lake Bluff, Winnetka, and Kenilworth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2017, 01:28 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,918,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
There are very few Jews in Lake Forest, Lake Bluff, Winnetka, and Kenilworth.
Actually there are plenty of Jews in Winnetka, but not the other towns.

Chad Syverson is a pretty famous University of Chicago professor. He's the only Chad I know and he is the antithesis of a "Chad."

Oh, and the Chad Mitchell Trio. Chad Mitchell was born in 1936.

Then there's hanging chad, pregnant chad, etc. (remember the 2000 election?).

Old 11-11-2017, 08:39 AM

5,820 posts, read 3,876,035 times
Quote:
1. Who from the North Shore even names their kid Chad?
2. How did this term become so well known in the manosphere as Chad Thundercock and
3. How did Trixie get replaced by Stacy??
1. I don't know anyone people from the North Shore, but I once worked with a guy named Chad, who lived in West Ridge or Lincolnwood (I forgot). He was single, but was seeing someone. He was nothing like Chad Thunder-whats-his-face. In fact, he was a techie type; like me, but we had different roles. We had good times trashing Windows Vista together.

2. Beats me. I didn't get into the Red Pill until 2015, so I don't know the history or etymology behind the term. I do know that PUA, Red Pill's predecessor, used descriptors like "cocky and funny", rather than genericized names like Chad.

3. Trixie sounds more like a "dancer's" name than a regular woman's name. (Chrome even highlights it as a misspelling.) Perhaps it was chosen because it's phonetically similar to Trixie. Or maybe early Red Pillers that started RP as an extension of PUA all had bad experiences with women named Stacy. I actually used to know someone named Stacy in my Meetup group; she wasn't bad, we just had nothing in common.

Old 11-11-2017, 09:08 AM

2,990 posts, read 5,279,404 times
It's just a lame derogatory name for your run of the mill white college football-loving Big 10 grad.

My problem with it and all the similar names is that you would have to go back until at least the '80s for this kind of person to be considered the "cool" group, or for it to really even be a group. Therefore, the venom with which they are thrown out is usually just an act of self-referential snobbery, which doesn't even ring true or make sense anymore.

There hasn't been a genuine youthful subculture for decades, let alone an oppressed one.

Everyone puts their pants on one leg at a time. People need to get over it.

Old 11-11-2017, 11:18 AM

4,792 posts, read 6,057,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnynonos View Post
It's just a lame derogatory name for your run of the mill white college football-loving Big 10 grad.

My problem with it and all the similar names is that you would have to go back until at least the '80s for this kind of person to be considered the "cool" group, or for it to really even be a group. Therefore, the venom with which they are thrown out is usually just an act of self-referential snobbery, which doesn't even ring true or make sense anymore.

There hasn't been a genuine youthful subculture for decades, let alone an oppressed one.

Uh...being a Big 10 jock pretty much guarantees you're in the cool group. What exactly has changed since the 80s?

Old 11-11-2017, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
1. I don't know anyone people from the North Shore, but I once worked with a guy named Chad, who lived in West Ridge or Lincolnwood (I forgot). He was single, but was seeing someone. He was nothing like Chad Thunder-whats-his-face. In fact, he was a techie type; like me, but we had different roles. We had good times trashing Windows Vista together.

2. Beats me. I didn't get into the Red Pill until 2015, so I don't know the history or etymology behind the term. I do know that PUA, Red Pill's predecessor, used descriptors like "cocky and funny", rather than genericized names like Chad.

3. Trixie sounds more like a "dancer's" name than a regular woman's name. (Chrome even highlights it as a misspelling.) Perhaps it was chosen because it's phonetically similar to Trixie. Or maybe early Red Pillers that started RP as an extension of PUA all had bad experiences with women named Stacy. I actually used to know someone named Stacy in my Meetup group; she wasn't bad, we just had nothing in common.
I think Stacy to me just fits that SEC sorority stereotype who dates Chad. Though in another thread someone said the Southern version of Chad would be Chase and I found that quite accurate.

Old 11-11-2017, 11:32 AM

222 posts, read 194,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
A Chad is often a 30/40-something F*ckboy. But not all Chad's are F*ckboys.
A F*ckboy is late teens/20-something guy of a certain disposition. But not all late teen/20-something guys are F*ckboys.

But I'm just guessing. I think it sounds good though.
Is this urban dictionary now?

Old 11-11-2017, 12:10 PM

2,990 posts, read 5,279,404 times
Quote:
Uh...being a Big 10 jock pretty much guarantees you're in the cool group. What exactly has changed since the 80s?
Because unless you are literally a goth who paints your face, nothing else you do is going to raise an eyebrow or make anyone think you are any "different" than them. There are probably just as many frat members with ironic moustaches as outside fraternities these days, and it's been the same dynamic since at least the 90s. The "alternative" hadn't been seen as "weird" by anyone anywhere since the mid-80s.

The 80s were the last time that anyone was likely to be thought "different" for listening to cutting-edge music etc., and even that is likely more a John Hughes movie trope than anything.

But everyone needs to feel better than someone, and unpretentious, beer-swilling, Lakeview denizens are probably one of the last demographics people feel comfortable being openly contemptuous of.

Knock yourself out, just know it's all about you and the way you want to position yourself in the world more than anything.

Old 11-11-2017, 12:32 PM

424 posts, read 974,120 times
I remember stumbling across the site about 10 years ago and also the Lincoln Park Trixie "Society" thinking it was made with a tounge in cheek tone. While somewhat amusing I wondered what the site creator would think if they ventured to Greenwich, CT or Nantucket during the high season. Seeing how they were satirizing LP and North Shore residents...

Grew up on the North Shore and I didn't know anyone named Chad. I still don't.... I know of our very own Chett Evertt right here on the fourms but I don't think he's a Chad.

I was freinds with a Chase at New Trier though and he was not a "Chad" either despite looking like one. Really nice guy actually who went to med school and worked for Doctor's without Border's after college.

Quote:

Thank you. Agree it's a bit of an outdated stereotype unless you're writing a John Hughes movie script.

Last edited by ehanson; 11-11-2017 at 01:08 PM..

Old 11-11-2017, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Because unless you are literally a goth who paints your face, nothing else you do is going to raise an eyebrow or make anyone think you are any "different" than them. There are probably just as many frat members with ironic moustaches as outside fraternities these days, and it's been the same dynamic since at least the 90s. The "alternative" hadn't been seen as "weird" by anyone anywhere since the mid-80s.

The 80s were the last time that anyone was likely to be thought "different" for listening to cutting-edge music etc., and even that is likely more a John Hughes movie trope than anything.

But everyone needs to feel better than someone, and unpretentious, beer-swilling, Lakeview denizens are probably one of the last demographics people feel comfortable being openly contemptuous of.

Knock yourself out, just know it's all about you and the way you want to position yourself in the world more than anything.
That has nothing to do with my post. I just said that if you're in the jock crowd, you're in the cool crowd. That's it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago