Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2017, 03:55 AM

1,080 posts, read 837,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefallensrvnge
Caution:

If you have a bloated sense of importance of the financial sector and/or are offended by the stereotypes in this thread, you may be a Chad.
www.city-data.com says:

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to thefallensrvnge again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2017, 07:20 AM

2,990 posts, read 5,278,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
The top end of finance is filled with Nobel Prize winners, actual rocket scientists who wanted to make money, and other geniuses. But the broad middle of the financial field - commercial bankers, middle and back office personnel at investment management firms, financial planners and advisors (who used to be called stockbrokers), etc. - are pretty good.

Making it in the sciences means getting a PhD in one of the hard sciences and then getting a job in that field. Much as I respect the knowledge that went into the CFA curriculum, I wouldn't bet on a CFA Level III candidate against a PhD candidate in one of the sciences at even a middle-ranked school (say, Arizona State) for pure cognitive ability.
Eh, maybe the truth is somewhere in the middle, or our individual experience has biased both of us.

I would say at least the top 30% of the people I knew had academic crdntials that made it clear they could have done whatever they want -- Ivy science *** laude; three advanced computing degrees; rocket scientist turned money manager etc.

The next 30% were just smart -- U of C MBA; CFA etc.

And maybe the lower 30, yeah, decent undergrad, decent MBA.

Sure, apples to apples on average a scientific Ph.D. may be smarter. But, again, that's not the point. The original point was that many of these people are highly career driven with jobs that overwhelm their lives and little else.

Anyway, the conversation has gone a bit off the rails.

The contention being advanced is that your average run of the mill Lakeview denizen, eg a Chad, is a dolt.

Not really even worth talking about.

Old 11-15-2017, 12:59 PM

944 posts, read 1,210,505 times
****, in sciences like evolutionary anthropology Arizona State is an elite school

Old 11-15-2017, 01:12 PM

2,990 posts, read 5,278,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brodie734 View Post
****, in sciences like evolutionary anthropology Arizona State is an elite school
Welcome to the land of sweeping generalizations!!

Old 11-21-2017, 10:31 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,609,630 times
My name is Chad. I'm nothing like the stereotype, but I'm cool with my name being used. If anything it makes an excellent ice breaker. Lately instead of people asking me where Trixie is, some ask where Becky is..Idk..maybe it's changing.

The whole "Are you a pregnant Chad or a dimpled Chad?" got old fast tho. Everyone would ask and then cackle like they were the first person to ever say it to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago