Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 08:33 PM

101 posts, read 411,553 times

Advertisements

I feel like this is that new old spice hair and body wash commercial as i've been seeing threads like this all over the c-d boards.

"I've got hair here, but not here. Is old spice hair and body wash right for me?"

From what I can tell, as long as you don't go out of your way to creep out the ladies (like the guy from the "'Bad experience' in Chicago years ago" thread) you'll do fine!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2008, 08:56 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,843,971 times
Sure, conservative 30-something males are welcome in Chicago. However, you just won't be allowed to vote.

All kidding aside, as life-long Democrat, I wouldn't mind some conservative anti-machine votes at the local level...

Old 03-10-2008, 09:02 PM

2,300 posts, read 6,193,558 times
Check out Lakeview, around Halsted and Belmont. I think you'll find exactly the neighborhood you're looking for.

Old 03-10-2008, 09:02 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,972,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Sure, conservative 30-something males are welcome in Chicago. However, you just won't be allowed to vote.
You can vote, but you can only vote once. And only while you're still alive.

Old 03-11-2008, 10:12 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,325,555 times
There's been speculation about that for a while now. The "connection" has been there for awhile; the question has been, what was his role if any?

Old 03-11-2008, 10:16 AM

7,331 posts, read 15,409,581 times
I think it's fair to say that neither party has a monopoly on corruption or deviance.

It's also fair to say that this thread really isn't about crooked politicians...

$0.02. Carry on.

Old 03-11-2008, 10:57 AM

391 posts, read 1,305,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
I think it's fair to say that neither party has a monopoly on corruption or deviance.

It's also fair to say that this thread really isn't about crooked politicians...

$0.02. Carry on.
Leave it to you to give me my daily laugh.

Old 03-11-2008, 12:44 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,202,862 times
Hi everyone,

Hello TJ

I'm a 32 year old white male and am currently looking at relocating to another city. I'm conservative and run a business out of my home.

Do you have a preference for a specific race? If you do that's fine. I was just wondering why you added "white male" ?

Things that are important to me:

- A favorable ratio of females to males

There are actually more females than males in Chicago.

- Friendly women who are not snooty or aloof

Every city has friendly women. With that being said Chicago is a big city so you'll get women that may come across as being standoffish,but that is part of city life. Don't let that scare you because there all lots of friendly women in Chicago.

- A walkable downtown area with coffeeshops, restaurants, etc.

I take it you have never been to Chicago? Chicago is a very outdoor/walk friendly city, especially downtown.

(I would prefer to live in the city, perhaps a loft)

Well bring the Check book. Lofts are popular,very popular. So with that comes a higher price tag. You can find a nice loft but be prepaired to open the cash vault.

- Not a fan of high taxes

Who is? Expensive housing equals expensive taxes. Chicago taxes everything. I mean everything. But it's worth it's weight in gold. Chicago is a great place to live!

Good shopping

WOW. I can tell you have not been here. Not only will you find GREAT shopping you'll find some of the best shopping in the country. You do know we have Michigan Ave., don't you?( LOL)-

Plenty of things to do at night outside of bars and nightclubs

If someone cannot find anything to do according to what they like, the problem is not the city, it's them! Plenty to do,plenty,plenty,plenty!

I'm not a big fan of the nasty weather that Chicago gets, but could deal with it. What do you think?

Chicago weather IS NOT nasty as many make out to be. Come on man, you are coming from Pitt. It's no worse( give or take)

TJ I don't know you and you don't know me. I will say Chicago is a great city and please come with an open mind. I am not sure if you only like to associate with whites only but Chicago is a very international city and you will more than likely interact with someone whom is not white, if you want to get ahead. There are more blacks and hispanics than whites in Chicago. But just based on looking I would say there is an even mix of the 3 groups. Chicago has just about every nationality you can think of. Be open to all that Chicago and it's people have to offer and your stay in Chicago will be filled with great experiences!

You're probaly wondering why I wrote that last passage, I wrote it because you made mention that you were conservative and white male. I got the feeling you are looking for only white conservative males( of which I am not) to respond. If not I stand corrected.

On that note

This is Your "brother" Ron saying good luck man!

Old 03-11-2008, 01:35 PM

11 posts, read 48,661 times
Hey Ron,

Great post, thanks for the info.

As far as mentioning I am white, I'm just trying to be as descriptive as possible about who I am. Some areas in the U.S. still can't get past the issue of skin color so I wanted to be clear.

I haven't visited Chicago yet but am planning a trip shortly to take it all in. Trying to do some narrowing down before actually booking some trips.

Thanks again Ron,

TJ

Old 03-11-2008, 01:47 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,202,862 times
Ok, I gottacha. I agree, to some, race is still an issue. Thanks for being a good sport about it.

You'll fine in Chicago. Most of the working class folks in Chicago don't get caught up in the racial B.S. It's usually poor folks( all races included). So you'll be fine!

Well my friend, whatever you need post it here. I tried to do the best I could with what you provided. If you want more specific questions answered, I'll do my best to answer them. Especially when it comes to housing( best places to find great deals) and neighborhoods,etc.......

But man, I'll be honest. You and I are basically the same age and I can tell you, Chicago would be a great city to live in. It has plenty of opportunities for a young guy like yourself. It's a cool, hip city! Regardless of the negative remarks people on these boards spew, it's a cool place to live.

Usually those remarks come from SORE LOSERS and UNHAPPY people!

As you can see, I'm not one of them. Dude, I am getting ready for summer as we speak. I'm cleaning my beach chairs now!

You're in for a real treat! Chicago summers are the best! So much to do, not enough hours in the day!

There are all kinds of women on the beach in the summer waiting for you TJ, don't leave them hanging like that man!

Peace-

Chicago Ron

Last edited by Ron.; 03-11-2008 at 02:00 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago