Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2010, 06:00 PM

2 posts, read 5,300 times

Advertisements

Hey Folks -
I am new to this site, so thanks in advance for any input. I recently moved back east to CT from Denver. I grew up here in CT. I am in NYC a lot to do comedy, and I cant stand living here in CT anymore, but I simply just cannot afford to live in NY. I really loved Chicago when I visited, there are a lot of great reasons I would love to move there (4 pro sports teams, the lake, city living, etc) but how is the comedy scene?
I want to get involved with IO and 2nd city, but I want to continue doing stand up, what's the standup scene like?
Thanks
Also, I am interested in knowing how easy it is for someone my age to move there and start over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2010, 01:15 AM

40 posts, read 65,780 times
Honestly, the stand-up scene here doesn't even come close to comparing to NYC or LA, but the improv community is pretty wide-open for talented (and untalented) people and if you're good, you'll get noticed. And to confirm the vibe you got when visiting, Chicago really is a great city.

Old 06-14-2010, 01:30 AM

143 posts, read 440,817 times
Are you as good as dan cook?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilcofan View Post
Hey Folks -
I am new to this site, so thanks in advance for any input. I recently moved back east to CT from Denver. I grew up here in CT. I am in NYC a lot to do comedy, and I cant stand living here in CT anymore, but I simply just cannot afford to live in NY. I really loved Chicago when I visited, there are a lot of great reasons I would love to move there (4 pro sports teams, the lake, city living, etc) but how is the comedy scene?
I want to get involved with IO and 2nd city, but I want to continue doing stand up, what's the standup scene like?
Thanks
Also, I am interested in knowing how easy it is for someone my age to move there and start over.

Old 06-14-2010, 02:33 AM

226 posts, read 641,766 times
It's hard for me to recommend anyone in the entertainment industry come to Chicago over LA or NYC, to be honest.

It's possible to make a living here, sure, but it's going to require a lot more work and provide a lot less payoff.

Old 06-14-2010, 05:59 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,821,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hxcobd View Post
It's hard for me to recommend anyone in the entertainment industry come to Chicago over LA or NYC, to be honest.

It's possible to make a living here, sure, but it's going to require a lot more work and provide a lot less payoff.
Comedy, however, is one major exception. Chicago has been a starting point for many of the famous comedians you know (and I'm assuming you already know this). The improv scene here is the strongest in the entire world. But of course, to truly "make it big", people eventually move on from Chicago on to the national stage in New York or L.A.

I'll add that it's actually very competitive at Second City and IO. It's not like you can just waltz in there and end up on stage.

Old 06-14-2010, 08:50 AM

2,418 posts, read 6,262,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smallvillejane View Post
Are you as good as dan cook?
lol, you mean dane cook?

While I enjoy his stand up, it's not really intelligent or deeply funny. Mostly vulgar.

Old 06-14-2010, 08:52 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,821,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannheimMadman View Post
lol, you mean dane cook?

While I enjoy his stand up, it's not really intelligent or deeply funny. Mostly vulgar.
He stole his good jokes from Louis CK.

Old 06-28-2010, 09:39 PM

2 posts, read 5,300 times
thanks for all of the feedback. I am interested in standup/improv/sketch/acting. I know nyc has it all, but i just like the midwest feel of chi-town, and if I could get a good start traveling the midwest thats fine by me!

Old 06-29-2010, 04:40 PM

308 posts, read 758,445 times
As has been said, stand - up isn't the main thing in Chicago. Chicago has a strong history and is known for their improv comedy.

It's funny that you mention it because a guy that I know (my brother's friend) actually moved here a little while back from the Boston area with the hopes of doing improv comedy. It's work, but if you enjoy it and it's what you love then go for it! He works a normal 9-5 but began by taking classes at Second City. He was good enough that they kept him on as a part time writer and he began making some money. He then formed a comedy group with two others that he met through his time here. They have since been scheduled at several places (some smaller places but just recently had an 8 - show schedule at the Skybox and Second City) and will be beginning a weekly schedule at the IO Theatre.

So in a nutshell, it's a process. You can't just jump into it and expect to be signed two weeks later. But it's fun and every step you can move on up. I would suggest looking into classes (all of them, I believe, have classes available) and that's the best way to either get noticed by Second City, IO, etc. and also work on your craft.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: