Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 07:56 PM

161 posts, read 699,299 times

Advertisements

I was recently accepted to both UIC and the University of Michigan for a Masters in Urban Planning. I want to do some type of physical planning/urban design, in other words, a job that incorporates designing the physical layout of a neighborhood while insuring residents needs are met. Basically, I'm a sociologist who's in love with architecture and design. So my question is... does anyone have an opinion on which school might be a better overall school and meet the interests I have (cost aside)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2008, 09:02 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
I'd go to the school that is within easy access of all conceivable types of urban environments. Better field opportunities at UIC I would imagine.

Old 03-07-2008, 10:51 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,776,941 times
I started out in a joint Masters of Urban Planning/Masters of Architecture program (I won't say where for privacy), but dropped the urban planning after getting one urban economic study published. I did this because I realized that all of the aspects of urban planning I was most interested in were handled by architects. If you actually want to physically layout urban spaces, become an architect instead of an urban planner. If you want to play around with numbers, economics, and polilcy initiatives, be an urban planner. There are several joint Masters programs out there as well.

The University of Michigan's program is much more respected than UIC's for both Urban Planning and Architecture. And this is a field where people care about where you went to school.

Old 03-08-2008, 08:45 AM

15 posts, read 32,539 times
Libertine, I just found out that I have been accepted for the MUP program at UIC as well. I'm still waiting to hear back from the other programs I applied to before I decide where I'll be going next year. Michigan is definitely the more prestigious of the two schools, but I don't think anyone would argue that Chicago will provide more opportunities for direct urban experience than Ann Arbor. UIC is also part of the great cities initiative, which could also provide opportunities in the field that you couldn't find at Michigan (as far as I know, U of M does not participate in that program). It sounds like we have similar interests in the field, so I'd like to know which program you end up choosing. I have a feeling that I'm going to have a tough time deciding where to go as well. Good luck, and maybe I'll see you in August.

Old 03-08-2008, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrock9000 View Post
...but I don't think anyone would argue that Chicago will provide more opportunities for direct urban experience than Ann Arbor.
Ann Arbor is close to Detroit, which is an urban planning basket case right now. So you would have that opportunity. Chicago is probably a more fun case study, but planners are largely ingored in this town because of Aldermanic perogative in all zoning matters (i.e. the system where Aldermen use zoning changes to solicit campaign donations from developers).

I'd recommend job shadowing an urban planner ASAP if I were you, because you'll quickly find that most "urban designers" are architects and landscape architects. I don't think I've ever heard of an urban planner actually designing anything. The urban planner's most powerful tool is zoning, and if you've been involved in any Chicago development whatsoever you'll know that zoning is a complete joke in this town.

Old 03-08-2008, 02:55 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,597,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Ann Arbor is close to Detroit, which is an urban planning basket case right now. So you would have that opportunity. Chicago is probably a more fun case study, but planners are largely ingored in this town because of Aldermanic perogative in all zoning matters (i.e. the system where Aldermen use zoning changes to solicit campaign donations from developers).

I'd recommend job shadowing an urban planner ASAP if I were you, because you'll quickly find that most "urban designers" are architects and landscape architects. I don't think I've ever heard of an urban planner actually designing anything. The urban planner's most powerful tool is zoning, and if you've been involved in any Chicago development whatsoever you'll know that zoning is a complete joke in this town.
The question is will it ever change?

Old 03-08-2008, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
The question is will it ever change?
I don't see how without some kind of federal or state intervention. The City Council would never vote to cut itself off from the money tree. And until the City Council gives real authority to urban planners, we are going to continue to have spot zoning and poor planning in Chicago. It's a shame considering the fact that one of the most famous urban plans ever--Daniel Burnham's Chicago Plan--is still widely heralded here. (Note that Daniel Burnham was an architect, not an urban planner).

Old 08-05-2008, 01:12 PM

7 posts, read 24,603 times
Hey Guys:

I read some the responses. I'm looking to get into UP as a career change. Is it unniversal that the architects plan the layout of the city? That's kinda disappointing! I thought that architects just design buildings, etc....Anyhow, do you know anything about schools in NYC?

Old 08-05-2008, 04:11 PM

161 posts, read 699,299 times
adrock9000, by the way, I've decided to go to UIC (I just couldn't leave Chicago). Are you still planning on going to UIC?

Old 08-05-2008, 05:16 PM

3,631 posts, read 10,231,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
adrock9000, by the way, I've decided to go to UIC (I just couldn't leave Chicago). Are you still planning on going to UIC?
hah, funny, I'm planning on applying there for next fall (i.e. 2009), but I'm going to go the transportation route. I think I may be a masochist because I want to work for the CTA eventually.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago