Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 09:45 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times

Advertisements

Thing is, it seems the part of Uptown that's gentrifying most rapidly is the part that is not in her district. Maybe a re-map will doom her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2008, 09:46 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Thing is, it seems the part of Uptown that's gentrifying most rapidly is the part that is not in her district.
Which part is that?

Old 03-04-2008, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Which part is that?
The part around Lawrence & Broadway and points north to Foster.

Old 03-04-2008, 09:47 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,792,528 times
Quote:
As Uptown gentrifies she will be out matched soon enough though.

If the remap takes away all of her Lake View area away from her ward she is in good shape.

The ward remap will be the key. If it is changed the right way (for her) she is a shoe-in. If not,(or if Uptown skyrockets in gentrification the next couple years) she is dead to rights.
You'd think. I sure did when I bought a condo here. But her ward goes all the way down to Stratford in East Lakeview, and she actually has pretty good support along affluent Lakeshore Drive. She campaigned hard in all of those high-rises and promised to repeal the city's Life Safety ordinance, which would cost older high-rise buildings bundles of money through mandated safety updates that no one can afford. Her opponent did the same thing, but his message didn't get through. It's VERY hard to defeat an incumbant in Chicago.

I think Helen the Horrible will lose her grip on power eventually, but people have been saying that for the last ten plus years. Meanwhile, the neighborhood will continue to improve in spite of her, not because of her.

Old 03-04-2008, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
The part around Lawrence & Broadway and points north to Foster.
What about Buena Park or Sheridan Park?

City of Chicago

All she has left is really is "Truman Square", and most of "Clarendon Park",and "Lakeside",...

She is highly in trouble in the other areas.

Old 03-04-2008, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
You'd think. I sure did when I bought a condo here. But her ward goes all the way down to Stratford in East Lakeview, and she actually has pretty good support along affluent Lakeshore Drive...
You know its funny her condo is really VERY close to part of Mary Ann Smiths ward (48th)
in "Andersonville Terrace."

It is funny ,I live really close to the borders of the 46th and 44th and this area has to be the dirtiest and has more crime than the parts of Mr. Tunneys ward which are in Lake View. I wonder why?

Last edited by Avengerfire; 03-04-2008 at 10:15 PM..

Old 03-04-2008, 10:10 PM

Quote:
It's VERY hard to defeat an incumbant in Chicago.
Mr. Natarus and Mrs. Tillman sure were thought to be unbeatable, but they were beaten. If they can be beaten anyone can. Mr. Stone and Miss Schiller barely won the last time around last year.

Old 03-04-2008, 11:49 PM

Those two made the mistake of pissing off the unions in a major way. Not sure Schiller will make the same mistake.

Old 03-05-2008, 07:52 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,792,528 times
Quote:
You know its funny her condo is really VERY close to part of Mary Ann Smiths ward (48th)
in "Andersonville Terrace."

It is funny ,I live really close to the borders of the 46th and 44th and this area has to be the dirtiest and has more crime than the parts of Mr. Tunneys ward which are in Lake View. I wonder why?
It is funny that Helen basically lives in Andersonville. And you can pretty much see the borders of her ward visually. As you walk up Broadway, there is a stark difference between areas south of Stratford and North of Stratford... Not so much in terms of housing stock or crime, but definitely in terms of street improvements and business development.

Old 03-05-2008, 08:26 PM

Quote:
It is funny that Helen basically lives in Andersonville. And you can pretty much see the borders of her ward visually. As you walk up Broadway, there is a stark difference between areas south of Stratford and North of Stratford... Not so much in terms of housing stock or crime, but definitely in terms of street improvements and business development.
Yep and with garbage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: