Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2010, 10:29 AM

644 posts, read 1,189,148 times

Advertisements

I came across this article about gentrification in Pilsen. I thought it was interesting how the author chose to interview only the "gentrifiers," and none of the more established residents of Pilsen.

I am glad, however, that she touched on how awkward gentrification can be. I'm a college student now, but in a couple years I'll probably be looking for an affordable place in the city. As a white male, I'd like to live in a neighborhood that's within my means, but I'd rather not move somewhere where my neighbors will be angry about me being there.

Old 07-24-2010, 10:53 AM

5,738 posts, read 5,449,477 times
It amuses me how much people discuss the gentrification of Pilsen, while I can tell you from living here that gentrification has barely scratched the surface of the neighborhood. It still is easily over 80-85% hispanic, and walking down any street other than Halsted, it still feels VERY Mexican.

Old 07-24-2010, 11:15 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,439,138 times
Default Amusing...

It's like they are all weeping "no, compadres, I'm so not like all those people with fancy strollers, I love you just the way you are, with your bad hygiene, illiteracy, stereotypical machoism, disrespect for Womymns's rights, poor work habits, don't you see you and I are alike. Those social climbing Latinos that move to suburbs where their kids have a shot getting into a good colleges are like the Noeth Siders I despise. You people with your neglected dental work will always be muy aunthetico, a reliable voting block for alderman that won't let developers pave over your barrios without appropriate kickbacks. I so wish I had parents like you. I never wanted to have some one enroll me in prep school hat cost $15k a year. I would have been so much happier just being an artist instead of having mumsy and daddy sink a few hundred grand on my worthless non-business or law UofC sheepskin..."

Oh the angst!

Btw arsty people ought to learn how use a dictionary --- anomie :It comes from the Greek an-: against or absence, and nomos: law). This term was used by the Greeks to define anything or anyone who was against the rules or a condition where the present laws were not applied (illegitimacy, unlawfulness). The contemporary English understanding of the word Anomie differs from how the term was originally defined and used by Greeks and tends to become a synonym of the word Αναρχία (see Anarchy). In Greek there is a difference between the word "nomos" (νόμος)(law), and the word "arché" (Αρχή)(starting rule, axiom, principle). For example, majority rule is an "arché" and not a "nomos".
Vs
Anonymity is the state of not being identifiable within a set, called the "anonymity set". When referring to human beings, we say that a person is anonymous when the identity of that person is not known. Being anonymous usually is a result of not disclosing one's identity. This may be simply because the person was not asked, as in an occasional encounter between strangers, or because the person is unable or unwilling to tell.
For example, this may apply to victims of crime and war, whose identity could not be recognized.
Disguising one's identity may also be by choice, for legitimate reasons such as privacy and, in some occasions, personal safety. Criminals usually prefer to stay anonymous, such as when writing a letter with a threat or demand.
In a large city there is more anonymity than in a village. People may consider this to be an advantage or a disadvantage.
Anonymous works have no known author. They may be products of a folk tradition, handed down orally; or it may be that the data concerning the name of an author has been lost or intentionally withheld.

Last edited by chet everett; 07-24-2010 at 11:35 AM..

Old 07-24-2010, 11:58 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,772,155 times
Very interesting article JB. Thanks.

Old 07-24-2010, 12:37 PM

325 posts, read 236,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
It amuses me how much people discuss the gentrification of Pilsen, while I can tell you from living here that gentrification has barely scratched the surface of the neighborhood. It still is easily over 80-85% hispanic, and walking down any street other than Halsted, it still feels VERY Mexican.
Many of the new residents who are moving in are professionals of Mexican descent. Not sure if you have to be White to contribute to gentrification. I do see a considerable difference between Pilsen 1990 versus Pilsen 2010.

Old 07-24-2010, 03:30 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,668,344 times
I have a deep suspicion that you have to be white to be a gentrifier. Although the article very vaguely touched on that issue, the assumption is true.

Old 07-24-2010, 04:14 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,644,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
I have a deep suspicion that you have to be white to be a gentrifier. Although the article very vaguely touched on that issue, the assumption is true.
If someone is not white and makes even a little bit of money that person is commended for keeping money in the community or "giving back" to the community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago