Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 01:51 PM

904 posts, read 2,873,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
If you think he's bad, check out 46th Ward Alderman Helen Shiller. She's effectively creating a new low-income high-rise housing project in Uptown through developer Peter Holsten. It was promised to the community as a "mixed-income" development, but Holsten has federal funding for a project that is 100% "low income and very low income". The rest of the city is knocking down high-rise housing projects, but Shiller is building them.
Are you kidding me? Where is this thing supposed to be?

The political leadership in this city....eh, it's been covered to death by other threads...it's just maddening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2008, 02:17 PM

45 posts, read 169,426 times
Quote:
Bickerdike is the anti-gentrification force that develops apartment buildings for low income people. Avenger is saying that the low income folks that Bickerdike is bringing into its developments are the lowest of the low.
I really missed the boat on that one. I actually misread it as biker dyke, and I was wondering what biker lesbians had to do with it.

Old 03-04-2008, 04:15 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,799,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neonwattagelimit View Post
Are you kidding me? Where is this thing supposed to be?

The political leadership in this city....eh, it's been covered to death by other threads...it's just maddening.
Wilson Yard, on the west side of Broadway between Montrose and Wilson. There's also supposed to be a new Target store as part of the package, so at least we get that--not that I'm a lover of the big box.

Old 03-04-2008, 07:25 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,621,939 times
Quote:
If you think he's bad, check out 46th Ward Alderman Helen Shiller. She's effectively creating a new low-income high-rise housing project in Uptown through developer Peter Holsten. It was promised to the community as a "mixed-income" development, but Holsten has federal funding for a project that is 100% "low income and very low income". The rest of the city is knocking down high-rise housing projects, but Shiller is building them.
For the the benefit of the whole city that woman needs to be defeated next election. I believe she will. But it will be a tad too late to correct some of her gross errors that are due to her incompetence and attempt to hold onto power.

Old 03-04-2008, 07:52 PM

2,686 posts, read 7,872,703 times
Default bickerdike

Let's get to topic.

July,
I would prefer lesbian bikers to bickerdike. They have certainly not hurt andersonsville. Interestingly, wealthy male have been forcing some of their less affluent female counterparts out as the area has gentrified.

Does anyone want to defend bickerdike? They are attempting to do a good work for Chicago' poor. I just feel it is at the expense of people like me who are moving in trying to make the neighborhood a better place to live. It is more than an investment with me as I live there and interract with my neighbors.

Come on, someone talk about the attributes of bickerdike. We can't all be in agreement.

Old 03-04-2008, 08:35 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
Quote:
I gotta hand it to that broad, she sure knows how to build herself a voting and patronage empire.

Old 03-04-2008, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by july View Post
I really missed the boat on that one. I actually misread it as biker dyke, and I was wondering what biker lesbians had to do with it.
ROFL... that's pretty funny... "gee, what's so bad about those Harley-ridin' lesbians anyway?"

Old 03-04-2008, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
I gotta hand it to that broad, she sure knows how to build herself a voting and patronage empire.
Agreed. But her time is almost up. At least one must hope.

She will be playing the wicked witch of the west soon in the Wizard of Uptown.

Old 03-04-2008, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Agreed. But her time is almost up. At least one must hope.

She will be playing the wicked witch of the west soon in the Wizard of Uptown.
If she gets another high-rise full of bums in her neighborhood who will stop peeing in the alleys and knifing each other long enough to vote (which a modest bribe of smokes and some gin will probably accomplish), she's got another couple hundred people to pull the lever for her.

Old 03-04-2008, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
If she gets another high-rise full of bums in her neighborhood who will stop peeing in the alleys and knifing each other long enough to vote (which a modest bribe of smokes and some gin will probably accomplish), she's got another couple hundred people to pull the lever for her.
As Uptown gentrifies she will be out matched soon enough though.

If the remap takes away all of her Lake View area away from her ward she is in good shape.

The ward remap will be the key. If it is changed the right way (for her) she is a shoe-in. If not,(or if Uptown skyrockets in gentrification the next couple years) she is dead to rights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: