Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 10:51 AM

65 posts, read 215,459 times

Advertisements

I know there are couple other post has talked about Chinatown/bridgeport area. I was just wondering is it a good time to buy new Chinatown. I noticed that the condo price has went up signaficantly since about 5 years ago. and recently it soften a little because of the real estate market in chicago.

Anyone who's living in Chinatown or nearby area? how do you feel about the area in the future? and do you like it now?

Also I was told that Chinatown properties are mostly posted in Chinese newpaper and not in the common real estate websites. is that true?

Thanks a bunch!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2008, 03:35 PM

774 posts, read 2,495,745 times
I've lived in Chinatown before and I think it's a good area for the long term since it's so close to downtown with a limited supply of real estate. The neighborhood has certainly improved dramatically over the past decade. As you've noted, Chinatown properties are often listed in the local Chinese newspapers (if they are listed at all), so it's very hard to break into purchasing real estate there. The supply is tight and there isn't much (if any) new construction, so that's a factor regarding price levels long term. That being said, there's a huge amount of new construction just to the north in the South Loop.

Old 02-29-2008, 06:10 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,312,310 times
I've heard or read that Chinatown proper is so tight-knit that most properties that do change hands there do so by word of mouth, before they get a chance to be advertised, so it's pretty difficult to find a place to buy there unless you have connections in the area.

So IMHO buying in one of the adjoining neighborhoods (South Loop, Bridgeport) might be a better bet. I'd also guess that long-term prospects for those areas appreciating should be pretty good, even if the market is a little soft short-term.

Old 03-01-2008, 07:35 AM

7 posts, read 24,415 times
I lived in a Chinatown condo 2000-2004. I'm half Chinese (this will help the following statement).

The future of the neighborhood is that it ain't ever going to turn into an ethnically diverse area, lol.

It is a very close-knit area, yes. Most real estate is not listed beyond the Chinese community. It is, very honestly, closed off to non-Chinese. What you need... is a Chinese real estate agent if you want to buy in Chinatown, proper.

Does the prospect of making a bunch of money off of real estate in the area exist like it was before? Not so much anymore. However, I don't think you'll see anything but continued growth in the area for the next few years. And, I mean FEW years.

The problem with the area is limited space. The new construction in the area is eating up the last remaining open land. Once the land is exhausted, you'll see the market stagnate.

Old 03-01-2008, 11:01 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,776,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tr0uble View Post
I lived in a Chinatown condo 2000-2004. I'm half Chinese (this will help the following statement).

The future of the neighborhood is that it ain't ever going to turn into an ethnically diverse area, lol.

It is a very close-knit area, yes. Most real estate is not listed beyond the Chinese community. It is, very honestly, closed off to non-Chinese. What you need... is a Chinese real estate agent if you want to buy in Chinatown, proper.

Does the prospect of making a bunch of money off of real estate in the area exist like it was before? Not so much anymore. However, I don't think you'll see anything but continued growth in the area for the next few years. And, I mean FEW years.

The problem with the area is limited space. The new construction in the area is eating up the last remaining open land. Once the land is exhausted, you'll see the market stagnate.

This can't go on forever. Sooner or later some smart property owners are going to realize that limiting the pool of potential buyers is creating serious downward pressure on their property value. Anyone selling property with half a brain would want full market value for their property, and that will only come when properties are fully exposed to the market. The tight-knit transactions of the past worked when property values and outside interest in the neighborhood was relatively low compared to the rest of the city, but this has changed in recent years. There are eyes on Chinatown now that weren't there ten years ago, and this will change things--for good or bad.

Old 03-03-2008, 08:36 AM

65 posts, read 215,459 times
these are very good information thank you so much guys!

Old 08-13-2008, 12:37 PM

107 posts, read 358,774 times
I think the housing situation in Chinatowns (across the country) is discriminatory. Blocking out certain ethnic groups from obtaining property I believe is illegal in this country. But since white people are mostly the victim in this scenario, I guess it can be overlooked <sarcasm>.

Old 08-13-2008, 08:35 PM

1,722 posts, read 2,555,044 times
I have a friend who recently bought a 3br/2ba condo on Wells & 29th for 279k. It's a nice place, and the neighborhood is nice. It's outside of the heart of Chinatown, but still about 70% Chinese, with some Italians and Croatians.

Old 08-14-2008, 02:43 PM

38 posts, read 106,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuvopolis View Post
I think the housing situation in Chinatowns (across the country) is discriminatory. Blocking out certain ethnic groups from obtaining property I believe is illegal in this country. But since white people are mostly the victim in this scenario, I guess it can be overlooked <sarcasm>.
oh boo hoo. look, we need our ethnic enclaves. white people have their own, it's called the rest of the US.

anyways I'm sure you could buy in chinatown, no one is keeping you out like the housing discrimination in the past, you just have to go through different channels. If they operate by word of mouth, well then make some connections with them. Get a chinese real estate agent, whatever. Don't hate on asian people just because they don't do business the way YOU want them to. No chinese person is going to not sell to you because you're white, money is money.

Now if you're talking rental market..... it's a different story.

Old 08-15-2008, 09:55 PM

64 posts, read 273,216 times
actually there is quite a bit of rental property in chinatown square area.
3 br 2 bath 2 car garages for 14- 1600 pr month is a steal really. just lock up your cars and get an alarm if your planning on leaving it outside. there is alot of petty theft in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago